450 Feathering shafts

I've got a CopterX fbl head on my 450 which needs a feathering shaft, I ordered some from hong kong last week which have arrived today, unfortunately they are too short..

The size I need is 3.96mm diameter, and total length is 51.02mm

When you look in the rc stores for shafts they never seem to give sizes just the heads they fit..

Anyone got any ideas on getting these, maybe align shafts are the same size, I've no idea...

Thanks guys for any info

Is it possible to straighten feathering shafts??

Slobberdog

Have you ever seen a feathering shaft give way, Westy on here nearly got himself skewered by a blade that left his heli due to a failure, luckily it missed him but it went straight through his truck window that he was standing next to, Westy had a video on here somewhere of it.

Do you want to take a chance that's the question, Personally if its not 100% it don't go in the air,

not sure where you could get a shaft, another reason I use Align bits they are available everywhere.

Have you ever seen a feathering shaft give way, Westy on here nearly got himself skewered by a blade that left his heli due to a failure, luckily it missed him but it went straight through his truck window that he was standing next to, Westy had a video on here somewhere of it.

Do you want to take a chance that's the question, Personally if its not 100% it don't go in the air,

not sure where you could get a shaft, another reason I use Align bits they are available everywhere.

Oh I wasn't saying I would, the question was is it possible.. If it's not safe to then I won't be doing it, it's just so frustrating when you order parts then wait over a week to find they don't fit, yet their suppose to be for the Copterx head...

Thanks though Kev..

Slobberdog

its possible but when you straighten it you are going to need to heat it and that will alter the structure of the metal, if you do it cold you will put a stress point in the shaft at the bend.

either way its going to have a problem

Yes very frustrating, again that's why I buy align and so many stockists in the UK you can get most stuff the next day.

its possible but when you straighten it you are going to need to heat it and that will alter the structure of the metal, if you do it cold you will put a stress point in the shaft at the bend.

either way its going to have a problem

Yes very frustrating, again that's why I buy align and so many stockists in the UK you can get most stuff the next day.

Ok well let's ignore that question because they will go into my duff parts collection. Which is mounting up...lol

I got some new gears for my ds76 servos last week from align, next day delivery, might have been you who suggested align then Kev...

Have you got any shafts in your spares you could measure to see of they are the same size?

Cheers

Slobberdog

I have 1 there, will be going to fly after work, then home afterwards if I remember I will measure it up.

- - - Updated - - -

just looked at the manual and it says 4mm x 51mm but its stepped on mine, however the new align shafts are straight and come with a set of thrust bearings

http://www.align-trex.co.uk/helicopter-spares/align-t-rex-spares/align-trex-450-pro/450-feathering-shaft-set-h45h005xxw.html

I have 1 there, will be going to fly after work, then home afterwards if I remember I will measure it up.

- - - Updated - - -

just looked at the manual and it says 4mm x 51mm but its stepped on mine, however the new align shafts are straight and come with a set of thrust bearings

450 Feathering Shaft Set H45H005XXW Model Helicopters

Mine is also stepped. Sounds like the same Kev

The length from step to step is 43.64mm

That's brilliant if it's the same...

image.jpg
Thanks Kev

image.jpg

hawk-i

If I order feathering shafts off ebay I always ask the seller it they are the size I'm looking for before I buy . They will either post it on there ad or they will tell you if you send them a message. I too have needed 4mm x 51mm shafts but the seller will let you know or just don't buy from them. Just a little info.

Stambo

I made the mistake of straightening a feathering shaft once, hey I'm an auto tech, it rolled perfect on a sheet of glass when I was finished.
The blade that came off just missed my leg and left a dent in a garage roller door. :)
Lesson learned, these things are dangerous. :)

If I order feathering shafts off ebay I always ask the seller it they are the size I'm looking for before I buy . They will either post it on there ad or they will tell you if you send them a message. I too have needed 4mm x 51mm shafts but the seller will let you know or just don't buy from them. Just a little info.

Yeah I should have Hawk, good tip, I've ordered some align ones, hopefully here today....

- - - Updated - - -

I made the mistake of straightening a feathering shaft once, hey I'm an auto tech, it rolled perfect on a sheet of glass when I was finished.
The blade that came off just missed my leg and left a dent in a garage roller door. :)

No worries with that, I won't be trying to straighten them, my impatience sometimes gets the better of me. My align ones will be here today..

- - - Updated - - -

No worries with that, I won't be trying to straighten them, my impatience sometimes gets the better of me. My align ones will be here today..

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tony, I'm sure I didn't double post that last comment.... Is it a forum issue...?

Top Bottom