600 Feathering shaft removal?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
On my XLPower 550, I need to replace the feathering shaft...slightly bent. Simple right...NOT! I can't bust the screw loose that holds thrust bearing in. First time with any of my helis. The screws just spin even when one side doesn't. I wish one of the screw break or the feathering shaft snaps, which I don't see that happening. If I can't get one of these screws off, I'll need to order a new main rotor housing and 2 new main rotor holders. Don't really want to since this Heli is fairly new but I want her airborne again :). I haven't tried heating it up. I'm not sure how the housing or the blade holder will weaken when heated?

Tony

Staff member
According to the manual, it looks the same as any other feathering shaft and is solid with two bolts. You should be able to use two allen drivers to get it broke loose. However if it is stripped, you will need to drill the head of one of the screws out to get it apart. This could be an interesting challenge.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
According to the manual, it looks the same as any other feathering shaft and is solid with two bolts. You should be able to use two allen drivers to get it broke loose. However if it is stripped, you will need to drill the head of one of the screws out to get it apart. This could be an interesting challenge.

That would be an interesting challenge. I was also thinking about a Dremel with mental cutting blade. Stick the blade between the blade holder and the rotor housing and try to cut the feathering shaft. Like I said, I never had this happen to me before...on any heli LMAO :banghead:

Tony

Staff member
I wouldn't try to slot a bolt in a feathering shaft. Too much risk of damaging the blade grips. I would just hold the head in a vice where you can still back up the other "good" bolt, and drill out the stripped bolt. The bolts are pretty soft, and you should be able to get through the head pretty easily. Just go slow with about a 5mm drill bit (13/64") and you should be able to get it out. If you can get a left handed drill bit, that would be even better. Just remember, go slow, and peck the head of the bolt rather than trying to take it all at once.

Admiral

I have a set of screw extractors with a LH drill on one end and an extractor on the other, they work great and 9 times out of 10 the drill its self will get the screw out.
The only thing you would need to check is that they are long enough to to get in the Blade grip ans still allow you to get the other end into the drill chuck.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07GZ17QD9/

Heliman450

Hi D.O.G., hopefully, you have sorted this already. I hate having to 'butcher' anything and luckily (so far) haven't had your problem. I use red thread sealant on one side for my solid feather shafts and blue on the other. For removal, I then use a heat gun on the side with the blue sealer to release it. This has always worked fine so far, I suppose one option to increase the 'focus' of the heat would be to heat the Allen key holding it with a small-sized mole grip to avoid burning your fingers :arms:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Update :banana:Thank you all for your suggestion...I appreciate it :notworthy: I ended up using Tony method. I had a extractor kit but didn't know it till Admiral show me what it look liked. Couldn't find it so the drill trick was the way to go since I didn't have a heat gun or blow dryer like Heliman mention. Should have my XLPower 550 ready for the weekend flight :biglaugh: batch_IMG_1091.JPG

Admiral

That's Great, well you know you have the kit now, just got to remember which safe place you put it. LOL

Tony

Staff member
Good deal you got it apart. Nothing like almost needing to purchase a complete head block and grips just for one bolt being stuck lol.

Geena

Staff member
So what was the deal? Did you sort out why the bolts would not come out? was the shaft or one of the bolts stripped? Inquiring minds and all that stuff. :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
So what was the deal? Did you sort out why the bolts would not come out? was the shaft or one of the bolts stripped? Inquiring minds and all that stuff. :)
The deal was I lost that hand but I won the game LMAO. Neither bolt would come out. Not sure if they were stripped but the bolts just wanted to spin no matter what bolt I tried. Once the head pop off... out came the shaft :).

Top Bottom