450 Fail safe and Range test comparison question

Bruno

I range test my heli to confirm signal detection.
However, does anyone know the typical range for a Trex 450? Which leads me to my next question: what is supposed to happen if the heli flies outside of its range? What is "fail safe"? From what I have read it seems the heli can be programmed to respond to a "fail safe" mode when it flies out of range. How do you program and confirm "fail safe" mode?

Wanting to know before my heli is a mere spec in the sky and lost to contact. Thanks.

Last edited:

Lee

When you bind your heli to the radio, what ever you have the radio set to will be the fail safe if using a Spektrum radio. So low throttle stick and cyclic stick centred with all switches in there default position. So when the heli goes out of range or looses signal for any reason, it will default to those positions. Throttle stick down is the important one, so as to make the heli fall and not fly off into the wild blue yonder, potentially hurting someone.
Other radio brands may differ in there fail safe set up.

Bruno

When you bind your heli to the radio, what ever you have the radio set to will be the fail safe if using a Spektrum radio. So low throttle stick and cyclic stick centred with all switches in there default position. So when the heli goes out of range or looses signal for any reason, it will default to those positions. Throttle stick down is the important one, so as to make the heli fall and not fly off into the wild blue yonder, potentially hurting someone.

Good to know. Safety first. Thanks.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
range.. keep it to where you can see it and tell the orientation :D applies with any helicopter size.. :D

and then what lee said about failsafe.

Westy

LEGEND

I always thought it was once you have done your bind.... and power the RX down .... and TX .... turn Tx on and set your fail safe positions ... flaps .... what ever..... and then when you first power up your RX that is now bound .... it accepts the first settings it sees as its fail safe.....

I also thought you could program the RX to do a remember last input ..... hang on I will do some reading .... Got my DX7s manual here somewhere ... ah yes ..... hmmmmmmm...

Lee You are correct!....

There are 3 different Failsafe binding perameters...

• Smartsafe Failsafe - This is one Lee is speaking of..... I was incorrect ... he was right ;) REF PAGE: 7 (rightclick and download).......Throttle @ idle ...remove bind plug Prior to turning off RX after binding complete
  • Hold Last Command - Aircraft continues on its path. Ref Page 20 of DX7s manual....(rightclick and download) or consult DX8 manual (rightclick and download) index to get correct procedures
  • Preset Failsafe - Ref Page 20 of DX7s manual.... consult DX8 manual index to get correct procedures

Last edited:
Top Bottom