Projects F4U Corsair

Well it has started now. I will be building a Corsair. I have one set of plans, including the fold up wings, cheers Wolfman! Soon I'll have my 2nd set of plans and instructions in the size that I actually want to build it.
It will have a 100" wing span. The plan is to incorporate the folding wings, if I can make it work autonomously, otherwise I will just make sure the wings can be detached.
I'm looking at retracts, possibly with brakes (the local flying field doesn't have a huge runway, and I'll need to land hot).
It will have 3 stage flaps, and I may look at doing some other trick things, depending on my patience and money.
It is going to be a balsa and sola film build, and I'm looking at painting it in the NZ airforce colour. Every one recognises the blue, so I thought I'd try something different, and since the Aussies never got their delivery, I'll steal the colour of our friends across the water.
Don't worry, for all those who enjoy pictures, there will be lots of pictures in this thread as I go through each step of the build, and I'm sure there will be questions along the way as well.
Getting keen, for a bit of time out, and actually sit down and do something constructive with my time.

wolfman76

Hey no problem mate. And when this bird is built you will either need a trailer to transport it or strap to the roof of the disco. But if you do that you may want to keep speed low or it may just lift off... lol

Hahaha yea have been trying to work out the transport thing!! I will be making sure that the wings will fold up, or that the whole wing can easily be detached from the fuse so that it will fit in the disco, but I may also look at doing up an RC trailer at some point ;) haha

wolfman76

Yeah might have to make it have a detachable tail section also along with the wing being removable....

Will have a look at it, and I'll work it out.
Will see how much room is in the back of the disco, I can fold the seats down and fit it in diagonally. Just have to work out how long the thing actually will be. Then I can work out how i'm going to construct/deconstruct it!
A small trailer isn't out of the question, but I don't really want to go down that path just yet

Tony

Staff member
Post deleted. I'm going to start sending people on a 7 day vacation if they keep jacking threads!!! STAY ON TOPIC!

wolfman76

What do you mean stay on topic Tony i was talking in the thread about what Jonathan originally posted about the corsair he is going to build so e why did you delete psst i don't understand? And i am not being crappy with you just asking...

If it helps make a bit of sense, wolfman was getting my 2nd set of plans and was working out how to either scan or copy them and send them to me.

Have been pouring over the plans, and waiting for one more set of plans to arrive in the post, with some nichrome wire from Kyle.
Picking up a load of balsa sheet, rods, leading and trailing edges Sunday week.
So as I'm thinking about the build, I remember posts on here. I'm thinking of running a separate power supply for the servos, and the electric motor will be powered from a separate battery.
So i'm trying to work out how to make it work.
Battery connected to the ESC plugged into the throttle channel. If i'm then powering the RX from a seperate battery how do I make that work?

wolfman76

I believe you do the same thing you would do on a quad pull the red power wire from the esc then plug in your rx pack

Well the plans for my corsair have arrived into my email, and am picking up a load of balsa next weekend... so let the videos, photos and long days of building begin!! hahaha
Will be slow, but should be worth it in the end!!

wolfman76

Yeah no kidding I can't wait to see this beast when it its done and flying... now get to building!!!!.... lol

Well if everything goes according to plan, that will hopefully be next week. Just depends on what I end up getting from my mate in terms of balsa. But i can at least put them in little envelopes as needed if I can't get builds done at any one time.
Need this thing to be light and tough, and to look smick!!

- - - Updated - - -

This is the colour scheme i'm thinking of going just to be different
CorsairNZ5315Stash032Medium.jpg

CorsairNZ5315Stash032Medium.jpg

It's the NZ colour scheme. Sadly us Aussies never had one, we had an order, but they couldn't supply in time so we ended up with something else.
So I figure for something different I'd follow the nz scheme with the paint job.

wolfman76

OR if Australia had a scheme for another plane then why don't you put the Aussie scheme off the other plane on to the corsair and make it a one off it well be the only corsair with that scheme. Watcha think?

I like the idea of keeping it a colour that existed in the time.
If I were going to do a custom scheme I would do something along the lines of a pylon racer scheme, or do something like the super corsairs that created last. I could do an aussie camo but I don't know, just want to keep some form history about it

Top Bottom