General F4u Corsair

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get my bits and pieces together for my build. What i'm trying to work out is what size electric motor I need. All the plans I've looked at require a 50cc gas engine. I need to know what that means in electric sizing.
To give you an idea, likely to have something between 93" and 100" wingspan. Will possibly have folding wings, and will be made from balsa and either ply and solar film or fibreglass or carbon fibre depending on what I can fine, and feel like building with at the time.
Any hints on motor size would be awesome!

Tony

Staff member
I don't know if they make an electric motor that big. If they do, you will spend substantially more on the electric setup than you would getting a DLE 50cc. I highly suggest the gas engine.

thanks Tony.
I know that Crapking do one, for about $200+
I know of a few people running planes that big with electric motors.
I will be doing a 2nd one down the track, but when I make that one I will be spending the 5k on the 250cc radial engine, and actually setting it up as close as I possibly can to make it the same as what i would be at with an ultralight. So fuel tanks in the wings, push rods to move the the control surfaces (still servo controlled, just not installed in the wings) etc.

Hmmm random question I just thought of, if I have two radios, can I put two rx's in a model, and use the two radios? I would only have the 2nd radio to control things like lights or sound, nothing to do with flying, but was just a thought

Sweet thanks for that tony!!
I thought I could do it, just wanted to check!!
Hmmm.... plans are on their way!! now to work out my balsa needs :D

Thanks Kyle!! ;)

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Wow! that's going to be a big plane. cant wait to see the build. I am not a plane guy, but they sure look cool up in the air.

It is going to be massive!! hahaha
I'm starting to worry about it actually fitting in the car hahaha she'll be right though...
Plans are on the way, and I'll be posting as I build

Top Bottom