General Explain "gain"

BCJ

I am trying to find a good and thorough explanation of "gain."
I've asked Horizon and they more or less said they don't have anything.

I'll take a video or a written explanation, etc.

FYI, I use ar636 RX and a DX8 RX.

RandyDSok

A lot of devices use the term "gain" ... perhaps you should state which device and/or setting it is that you are asking about specifically

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there BCJ and welcome to the forum :welcome1: I think rdsok is asking if the gain for a heli, airplane,quad and so fourth. If your trying to find a explanation for gain, i'm not sure but this video might help you Oh yeah. Don't let the voice fool you.

BCJ

Hey there BCJ and welcome to the forum :welcome1: I think rdsok is asking if the gain for a heli, airplane,quad and so fourth. If your trying to find a explanation for gain, i'm not sure but this video might help you Oh yeah. Don't let the voice fool you.
Thanks
I misunderstood what rdsok was asking.
I’m talking about an airplane

Smoggie

Gain means the same thing on a plane or a heli. It relates to the 'sensitivity' of the gyro control. Technically it's the ratio of output signal over input signal. Or more specific to a plane it's how much control surface correction you get from a certain movement of the plane from it's starting position.

The higher the gain the more rapidly the plane will correct when it's disturbed by a gust or whatever. But too much gain will cause over-correction and the plane will 'oscillate' rapidly as it over-corrects in each direction. This is potentially dangerous, it can be so violent as to literally 'shake the plane to pieces', so it's important that you start low on the gain and gradually work up.

Gain is also sensitive to airspeed. a gain value that works fine in slow flight might cause bad oscillation in fast flight.

BCJ

Gain means the same thing on a plane or a heli. It relates to the 'sensitivity' of the gyro control. Technically it's the ratio of output signal over input signal. Or more specific to a plane it's how much control surface correction you get from a certain movement of the plane from it's starting position.

The higher the gain the more rapidly the plane will correct when it's disturbed by a gust or whatever. But too much gain will cause over-correction and the plane will 'oscillate' rapidly as it over-corrects in each direction. This is potentially dangerous, it can be so violent as to literally 'shake the plane to pieces', so it's important that you start low on the gain and gradually work up.

Gain is also sensitive to airspeed. a gain value that works fine in slow flight might cause bad oscillation in fast flight.
Thank you, Smoggie! That's an awesome explanation. You've put an end to my frustration in trying to figure this out. I found NO ONE, NOWHERE who could tell me this, not even the guys at Horizon Hobby.

Top Bottom