ESC ESC Ripple Capacitor Pack - Would this work?

Westy

LEGEND
To all your electronic genius's out there .... Yes you Gabba hahahaha

Would this work? I was thinking of building my own Capacitor pack to prevent the ripple effect when the ESC is drawing a lot of current and the Batteries are starting to get a bit tired.....

I have drawn up a little diagram .... of what I was looking to do .... just wondering if this would work .... Working nominal voltage DC is 44.4 (12s) running 120 amp ESC

Ripple Filter Cap pack.jpg

Would I need anything else to prevent leakage? like a diode?

Ripple Filter Cap pack.jpg

xokia

Yes that would work keep all wire as sort as possible. When you look for capacitors look for ones with ultra low ESR. You really need really low ESR here to even be minimally effective.

No diode needed

Westy

LEGEND
Thanks .... I have ordered 10 of the above CAPS ..... but no mention of LOW ESR in the write up ... Made in Malaysia Panasonic FC 470uF 63V 105C electrolytic capacitor. Size is 13mm diameter X 30mm and the pitch is 5mm. Capacitors are factory surplus and unused

xokia

Do you have the data sheet for the capacitor? Where did you find the capacitor? Go to some place like digikey.com or mouser.com they have data sheets for all their parts. See if you can find your caps at one of those places then look for the data sheet

Westy

LEGEND
looks Like I got to bin these .... Capacitance tests within 10% of 470uF but ... no ID or BRAND on it at all .... and no data specs ... the only Panasonic specs I can find ... and for the voltage and Rated Temps and Capacitance ..... nothing close to the case size I have!!!! :(

Looks like I was duped! -

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
it would work yes.. but like it was asked before, you wanna make sure it can handle the voltage/ current flow and temperatures. wont hurt the system. BUt I would try to see in the ESC logs, seeing how much are the actually affecting.. you want them to store enough charge so it can supply this charge (hand in hand with the batteries in the background) for a prolonged (in seconds) amount of time

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yeah price is steep but they are "matched" lol nothing but a board with caps. I bought mine from YGE.. Their shape I like.. Similar to yours ..

You could even just find out what these companies are using for capacitors and just build one.. I can post what yge has on their cap pack if you want..

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

xokia

yeah.... I looked at the price and thought ... hmmmm bit steep there mate!
Really not that steep IMO. All caps are no created equal just because they have the same voltage rating and same capacitance rating does not make them equal. For what you are trying to do you need a really low ESR. The voltage drop isn't significant so in order to be minimally effective you need to make sure the capacitor isn't dissipating the small amount of charge as heat before it even leaves the cap. Low ESR caps are usually more spendy. So what you have in that CC cap pack is about $10 worth of caps, couple dollar circuit board, and probably $1 for those fancy connectors. So lets say about $14 if you built it yourself. CC can build it cheaper because they will build in volume.

I'd be interested in knowing what these guys are specing for their cap pacs. Post it up coolgabs if you have the details.

Westy

LEGEND
WEll ... I just learnt that the hard way .... hahahaha

Stuff it .... ORDered one off Amainhobbies.... and a PU Getl PAd also .... see if I can get this Ikon to work ..... ... I hear you on build price .... but they should only charge 17.50 - 18 for it ..... I think that is fair

Last edited:

xokia

WEll ... I just learnt that the hard way .... hahahaha

Stuff it .... ORDered one off Amainhobbies.... and a PU Getl PAd also .... see if I can get this Ikon to work ..... ... I hear you on build price .... but they should only charge 17.50 - 18 for it ..... I think that is fair
I can only understand half of what you say lol. Usually the standard is mark things up twice what it cost you to build. So if it cost $14 to build you mark it up $14 so $28. You gotta have some overhead for marketing, pay the light bill and still make a profit. I think what they are selling for is reasonable it would be better if they gave the actual specs of the caps in their ad though.

Top Bottom