ESC ESC placement - best practice?

Does anyone have experience with optimum electrical placement of multirotor ESCs?

One could place them in the following arrangements:

1. Close to the motors with extra length on the power input
2. Close to craft center with extra length on the signal output to the motors
3. Somewhere in between

Not sure if there is a significant difference. Would like some weigh-in from experienced persons.

Thanks.

SIXFOOTER

I like mine close to the motors on top of the arms so they get some benefit from the propwash for cooling. Might not be needed, but every little bit helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course now that I posted that I realized my QAV500 the ESC's are mounted in the center sandwiched between the top and middle boards.

Nade

I'm thinking of changing the location of the ESC I'm putting in my Bell 47G. But it would be right in front of the main motor, right below the front servos and just behind the receiver and BEC. Would this cause any electrical interference?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Smoggie

I'm sure you will be fine, 2.4GHz systems are pretty much immune to interference at the frequencies generated by an ESC. In any case I see you have a remote satellite receiver located well away from the ESC at the rear of the heli, so you are covered either way.

Of course it's always good practice to do a range check before flying on any new installation.

Nade

I'm sure you will be fine, 2.4GHz systems are pretty much immune to interference at the frequencies generated by an ESC. In any case I see you have a remote satellite receiver located well away from the ESC at the rear of the heli, so you are covered either way.

Of course it's always good practice to do a range check before flying on any new installation.

Hey Smoggie, thanks very much for your feedback! I'm going ahead and wire this baby up. The one thing I will do is move the RX forward an inch away from the ESC since the RX has a few gyros in it. Plus I actually have two sats for this bird, one on each side. The RX I'm using supports the use of two sats so I figured the more the merrier.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom