ESC esc heating up

matthias

hi i am doing my first airplane build and i have a 30a esc when i plug my battery in it starts smoking and heats up. Anyone know whats going on?

Tony

Staff member
If it is already smoking, then the ESC is more than likely toast. Some things I would double check is polarity of not only the main power wires, but also the polarity of the small wires that go to the Rx. If those are good, then I'm guessing you just had a FET go bad which caused the others to short out as well. If you can, take the wrap off the ESC and post up a picture.

Smoggie

+1 on Tony's advice. If there was smoke the ESC is toast.

There are several possible causes, it could just be a random fault though reverse polarity or connecting batteries of too high voltage are also possibilities.

PS...... just noticed the photos, there are no connectors soldered on and no insulation of the exposed wire ends. This makes reverse polarity and/or a short more likely.

Tony

Staff member
It will more than likely be under that heat sink. Not really seeing anything too bad on the back side though.

Smoggie

PS.. the linear regulator IC (the black chip with three pins on one side and one on the other near where the wires that go to the Rx are soldered) looks like it may be burned, it would need a close up pic to be sure.

If that's the case then the most likely cause would be a short between the red and black wires on the Rx cable, this could be caused by a faulty or stalled servo or a wiring fault.

Tony

Staff member
I noticed that too steve, but it's too early for me to have thought of what the name of that thing is lol. Also, the last pic, it kind of looks like the lower left chip is "wet" which is a sign of it going bad. The top left also looks like it has a dark leg as well.

matthias

i have a 3 cell 11.1v 1300mah battery and a 2300kv motor anyone know what esc to buy that would work for both?

RandyDSok

i have a 3 cell 11.1v 1300mah battery and a 2300kv motor anyone know what esc to buy that would work for both?

The kv that a motor is not helpful ( except when configuring props to use etc )... on this side of things, it's more about the voltage range the motor can use and at what amperage it pulls...

Then on the battery... you'll need to know it's "C" rating so you know how many amps it can supply...

The kv rating is just how fast the motor turns at a given voltage... it doesn't tell us voltage or amperage ratings.

Tony

Staff member
I see no wattage or amp rating on those motors. I do see it says 2-3s and has "been tested with 4s" but they never state the outcome lmao. I can "test" with a 12s, but what did it do.... Chinese sellers at their best.

With that said though, most 2204 motors are safe with 12a ESC's unless you are running 2s, then I would go 15-18 amp.

Top Bottom