1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

ESC Esc Amperage

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by matthias, Apr 21, 2018.

1. matthias

matthias New Member

hi i want to no what esc to buy for a 2700kv motor. Can i use a 20a or do i have to get a 30a?

thanks

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

KV is RPM per volt. There is no way of knowing what the power draw is of a motor from the KV rating.

3. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

That's right. To take a stab at the ESC rating then we would need to know:
    • Motor Kv
    • Battery voltage (number of cells)
    • What prop you are using
    Kv on it's own isn't enough.

4. matthias

matthias New Member

kv is 2700
    battery is 11.1v 3s
    and i'm using 5'' prop

thanks

5. Tony

Steve forgot one key factor, we need to know what the wattage draw is for the motor you are using. Volts/watts=amps.

6. Smoggie

I'd need the pitch of the prop to give a more accurate answer. I wrote a little calculator to work this stuff out and it's telling me that if you use a 5x5 prop (5" diameter and 5" pitch) you will pull 22A. If the prop is any lower pitch you should be well below 20A.

This is only a guide of course and you should always test a new setup using a wattmeter. A 25 or 30A ESC would be safest as it's good practice to leave a little 'headroom' in your ESC rating.

7. Smoggie

Actually for the ESC that's not required. The current the ESC sees is a result of the load on the motor which in turn is a result of the prop characteristics and the RPM. The motor will deliver whatever power it takes to spin the prop, if this is too much for the motor then the motor will burn out, so yes it is important that the motor is also rated for the amps that will be pulled, but this does not impact the ESC.

In this case the motor should ideally to be rated for at least 25A, same as the ESC.

8. Tony

This one is on you then. I ALWAYS go off of the wattage that the motor manufacturer states. rpm and prop size doesn't tell me what the motor is rated at and thus I have no idea what the safe draw is. OP, take it as you will but I would be looking at the wattage of the MOTOR to determine what ESC to go with.

9. Smoggie

Attached is the calculator I mentioned. It's just a simple one, there are more accurate calculators online but this one is good for a quick check

Attached Files:

10. Smoggie

Tony,
    The wattage of the motor is only it's maximum rating when operated with it's largest prop and it's highest voltage battery. The actual watts that the motor will pull is 100% dependant on the battery and the prop that you connect (plus the motor Kv). Taking an extreme example, you can take a huge motor that's rated at 5000W but if you run it with a tiny prop it will only pull a few Watts.

If you look at the published test specs for any motor you will see this relationship between battery and prop size which governs how much power the motor uses. For example here is the data for a Scorpion SII-2212 1850Kv which is rated for 22A/326W max.. but you will see from the table that most battery/prop combinations listed dont produce anything close to that: https://www.scorpionsystem.com/files/i2,226_data_chart.pdf

Having said that, it's not a bad idea to always pick an ESC that at least matches the motor max current rating (if this is published). The thing you must bear in mind is that the motor WILL draw more than it's max rating if you put on a prop that's too big or a battery with higher voltage. Brushless motors are dumb, they dont know their limits, so it's important that the entire system is designed as a whole, including prop and battery.

11. matthias

matthias New Member

ok thanks everybody i got it