ESC Esc Acting Up

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
On my Gaui X3L, I'm running a hobbywing 60a esc. As I'm flying, the esc likes to decrease in RPM every once in awhile. Really sucks when I'm in a flip, roll or what ever and the esc decides to decrease the RPM in the middle of tricks. Is it time for a new esc? I can't find anything wrong with the soldering connection or loose wires. It's 6 yrs old the esc..

Smoggie

Could be the battery getting old and tired. If the voltage drops too low when under load (as can happen with a battery that's on it's way out) the ESC will slow the motor.

Check the value that the low volt protection is set to. Try dropping it to 3.0V and see if that helps.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Smoggie for the reply. As for the batteries, there're new. Maybe a half of dozen flights on them. I'll try dropping the low volt. I don't want to damage my new Xnova motor. This is the esc when my last motor,same, went bad while flying. Tony mention to be careful because since the motor seized up while in flight, that the motor could of damage the esc too.

Admiral

I had a similar problem with my X3 turned out that I had run the HW50A wires too close to the Motor and it had rubbed through the insulation and Neg / signal had been shouting out, just thankful it wasn't POS / Signal.
Only found it after I had replaced the motor & ESC with know good ones from another machine and still had the same issue.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I had a similar problem with my X3 turned out that I had run the HW50A wires too close to the Motor and it had rubbed through the insulation and Neg / signal had been shouting out, just thankful it wasn't POS / Signal.
Only found it after I had replaced the motor & ESC with know good ones from another machine and still had the same issue.

That's strange still having the same issue. I'm going to try out Smoggie idea and see what happens. After all the esc is 6 yrs old. I think I got my money worse out of it lol.

Admiral

Sorry my bad, I replaced the motor first then found the damage when I went to replace the ESC, repaired the coating Damage still had a similar problem so replaced the ESC and problem solved, the short must have damaged ESC. As a side to that the donor Chase 360 never got back into the air, ended up putting the frame up for sale as I have ended up with too many 360 size helicopters, but that give me a heap of spares.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Oh OK Admiral. You replacing motor and esc...it should work. I'll just get the same esc since it worked wonderful for the last 6 yrs. That if I can't get this esc working properly for me :).

Smoggie

As a general rule an ESC either works or it doesnt. It would be unusual for an ESC fault to be intermittent like this. This is not to say it cant happen but it would be unusual. Check the low voltage cut before splashing out any cash.

One more point.....Are you running governor mode or throttle curves? If throttle curves are you using 'V-curves' and (and cyclic to throttle mixes) to stop bogging under hard collective or cyclic input?.. Personally I'd very strongly suggest to always use governor, it's much easier and much better.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yes I'm running gov. mode but no throttle curves. I'm using straight 70 on u1 and straight 80 0n u2. I agree with you Smoggie on the esc works...or doesn't. I'll find out today if my changes works. Sounds like a little trial and error before I splurged for a new esc. I'm still waiting on my 120a esc for my new XLPower 550 heli to be out of stock for the last 3 weeks. Covid 19 is slowing everything down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom