Other ERSKY9x v The rest...?

Keith

Just been reading about the Spektrum DX18. Looks nice with good graphics, but I would never spend that much on a radio...
And it will not even do this....

It will play whatever sound files you put on the SD card (yes it has one). You can link them to switches to sound when activated. Gear down, gear up etc.
Also has on screen telemetry, Bluetooth connectivity, DIN to USB socket, Rotary Encoder for scrolling menus and selecting and more.....

Firmware upgrades released often (weekly) so it gets better everyday. Sound file swap site being set up for any sound/voice you want with accent and language.

Last edited by a moderator:

murankar

Staff member
I have the FlySky version of that radio. Yes all the frills of the 9X's make them attractive, but they can't compare to how a Spektrum performs. If I had the $460 upfront right now I would pay someone to take my 9X and I would buy the DX8. The only down side of the DX18 that I can think of is the RX. How big is that thing with 18 channels on it? I know my 9 channel rx is a tad over sized for my application.

Keith

Yes all the frills of the 9X's make them attractive, but they can't compare to how a Spektrum performs.

That's what I am hearing everyday from lots of different forums...

The 9x is just a good cheap radio, but once you go ER9x or OPEN9x or SKY board there is no comparison...

murankar

Staff member
Does the resolution of the stick inputs improve with the new firmware? Another question is does the servo throw improve also? I think on the DX8 you get a bigger servo throw can't remember how much though. I know with mine my left stick can likes to not be smooth sometimes. I am hoping it is the humidity messing with the plastic. We have 80% + humidity around these parts and it gets flipping awful at times. If anyone else reads this can i put some kind of lube on the stick to assist with smooth operation?

One plus for the 9X was I managed to get a back light kit for real cheap and it is still working great.

Keith

That is what makes the 9x so popular. Everything is so cheap. I have set mine up for variable servo/ESC throw. I've mixed one of the rotary knobs (P3) with the stick movements, except throttle, So I can dial in what percentage I want. With a new model, mostly multicopters, I start with about 25% throw. Then as my confidence grow I wind it up all the way to 125% if I wish. There is talk of audio control as well. I can't see it coming anytime soon though but it has been predicted as possible. You have to follow the forums everyday though, that can be a problem. If you miss a couple of days there is so much to catch up on the way this thing is moving and the ever increasing requests and ideas. What was a problem Monday is solved by Wednesday and is history by Friday...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I have the FlySky version of that radio. Yes all the frills of the 9X's make them attractive, but they can't compare to how a Spektrum performs. If I had the $460 upfront right now I would pay someone to take my 9X and I would buy the DX8. The only down side of the DX18 that I can think of is the RX. How big is that thing with 18 channels on it? I know my 9 channel rx is a tad over sized for my application.

First of all there is no reason to buy the dx18 unless you have a use for it! Lol a very large plane. My F7F will run on 7 Chanel's but the extra Chanel in my dx8 is going to be used. Now if I set up some fpv equipment in it like I want, then I might need an extra Chanel. We will see when I decide to go back to work on it. Lol.

Lee

Hi Keith, Hows it going? I still want to see all these quads you've been building in the air. Videos please :D
If i was splashed with cash, i would buy one of the 9x radios just to fiddle with. I'm very happy with my DX8. The only thing letting the 9X down for me is the aesthetics of it. It looks and feels cheap in the hands. I love the constant improvement though. Be care full they will take over the world eventually Terminator style :D

RCD

Glencairn Drone
I have a DX8 and I'm super happy with it!! I recommend you put down the money to at least get a DX6i. It may not have the programming options like the 9x but signal quality is higher and stronger. Also, there is no shortage of finding recievers for Spektrum! Lastly, if you do break the Spekrum radio, Horizon Hobby would fix it for you no problem. HobbyKing probably wouldn't do that. Just my 2¢.

Keith

Hi Travis, I nearly got the DX6i a couple of years ago. Was on the verge of buying when that DSM2/DSMX trouble started and models started crashing. So I held of, seems to be sorted now. I get as much, if not more satisfaction from the mods I make to my radios than I do using them. I would be to scared to open a $200 radio to see whats inside, but a $50 one is no problem. I have bought four now, sold two and doubled my money and have one for best and one for spare. So at the end of the day they cost me nothing.

Sorry Lee when it comes to sitting down and editing video I'm a bit tardy. Did manage to get a bit of my scratch built hex the other day. Still working on it but the maiden looked promising with the $6.50 motors on it. I'm such a cheap scape. I need bigger batteries now.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Very nice Keith,
Those arms look familiar :D
attachment.php

Keith

That was the arms you put on the one you got a mate to CNC for you...? We have a hardware supermarket chain here called Bunnings. They had these lengths of tube in powder coated brown and plain. You can get plastic connection pieces to build modular shelving frames etc. One piece had five joining points on it, four in a + with one from the center at right angles. I immediately saw a quad frame as the arms have to be hammered onto the connectors so are a real tight fit. I took this pieces home and found a 25A esc fitted inside the tube diagonally. So I built and it turned out very strong and tidy. I then realized with the ESCs inside they were going to get too hot. So back to Bunnings where I bought more and thought why not go for a hex. There were no six piece connector but I still used them but cut them off the connector and hammered them inside the ends to reinforce for bolting the center plates to. And of course I drilled the arms out as you saw. Maybe I had a subconscious vision of yours. The frame cost under $20 and with the cheap motors and ESCs, I already had, it was well under $100. The FC cost more, $98, Rabbit.

Hit the guttering on the house today crashed on its side. Two props broke and after inspection two motor shafts bent. For $6.50 I don't think the steel is the best. Anyway I bought eight so put the spares on. I then replaced the shafts with some I had here but they are not threaded so will have to use prop adapters when I use them. Will get more vid when I go up to my flying field (local footy oval) next.....

Lee

Yeh i spent ages drilling those arms out. I had the Suppo 930KV motors on it. They had soft motor shafts too. I saw in your video, it looks like the motor wires go into the end of the tube. I'd be worried about landing on the end of the tube and cutting the wires??

Keith

I made the wires like that so I can plug the motors straight into the ends. So swapping motors is easy.

I have six bigger 750kv motors I can swap to get more lift for FPV maybe.

I fitted connectors inside the end plugs with hot glue.

Here's a few pics...

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

Top Bottom