450 ERAZOR 450 2.4 G Radio Glitches

cweeks0515

Just starting up with a new erazor 450. All settings appear normal, no vibrations, and the hover is stable -- but then I get a pretty consistent and intermittent loss of control (a violent yaw) that scares the crap outa me. I can get a hover for about 1 minute and then outa no where this glitch hits. I ahve also had it
on the ground during spool up! I have been through helifreaks setup tutorial front and back -- played with the gyro gain a bit -- and I still get this
unexpected glitch!

Any ideas from erazor users of the stokc 2.4 G radio??

Thanks.

Chet

RomHeli

Just googled for some info and this is what I found - maybe it will help:

1. Review of the Dynam E Razor 450 by mycoolheli.com

2. =
The Comments here make interesting reading and maybe something to consider? (##Uploaded by paddystaxi on Oct 25, 2010##)

If you can tell me Who makes the stock 2.4Gz radio I will be able look into this in more detail for you

Hope I haven't broken any ules here by posting links Regards....A

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
If it's a yaw, look at the gyro plug and gain plug. They may be loose. Also make sure all wires are away from moving parts, and that the Rx is as far from the motor and ESC as possible.

cweeks0515

Rom and Tony-- many thanks for your posts. The links were very helpful. Here is the summary and conlcusion:
-I installed a new gyro just since I had one laying around -- and cheap and dirty GY42.
-The rx port assignments are not as expressed in the link or in the manual (which we all know is really flawed!). The lead to the gyro is ok . But the gain
setting port (a single signal wire) -- the factory has the gain lead in channel 6 as far as I can tell -- and it works-- well kind of.
-Replaced the gyro and used the same rx connector assignments as factory installed.
-using the rudmix/sens dip sw (push down) I was able to adjust the gain RM to HH as expected and see the impact on the tail slider.
-Hover is pretty good - not much tali wag after playing around a bit -- and I did notice a couple of these same "glitches". They are very much shorter now, and the heli
recovers -- my pants are a bit full of something tho!!
-Here's the good part !! So I move the dip sw UP to lock in the settings -- dont think much about it and reset everything -- and decide I will hover just to make sure nothing has changed. CRAP!! now the tail behaves completely differently -- and is in RM . Move the dip sw down and reset everything -- now gyro/rudder is in HH jsut fine. Hover is OK.

-I guess I will fly with the dip sw down (not a bad idea I guess as I can adj the gyro gain in situ)-- but if I should bump the V2 pot I could be in a world of hurt!!

I really dont understand why the dip sw setting UP or DWN should make a difference here but it does.

Ive got about 15 mins on the new install -- and confidence is growing from the glitches I was observing.

Tony-- I know now why you went to the DX6i tx/rx setup -- and I may end up doing that in the end hopefully before
I crash!!

Thanks again.

Chet

Tony

Staff member
Chet, I started out with the Dynam E-Razor 450 with teh factory FM Tx. I hated it, and purcahsed a 6i. I ended up selling that Tx to another (knowingly) since it was one of the recalled radios. I then ordered another one and that is the one I have used the crap out of and loved it. However, I did agree to sell it to a guy here in OKC tonight if he shows up. No worry though, I have what you see in my Avatar on the way here lmao.

Stick with it man, sounds like you are getting things figured out. Once you decide to get the DX6i or 7s or even the 8, you will see a world of difference vs the stock Tx.

cweeks0515

Not sure I understand your thread -- did you say that you are "using the crap outa" the stock (repalced under recall) Raycon radio?? I also have a dx6i and at some
point I want to upgrade the tx/rx in the erazor if I dont crash it first!! Is your video on how to do that still on the web??
Also, can you suggest a better gyro/servo combo??

All the best!

Chet

Tony

Staff member
What I was trying to say was this. My very first helicopter was the Dynam E-Razor 450 with the old FM radio with the long antenna. I hated the radio that came with it, and that is what brought me to buy my first DX6i. I stuck it into the Razor, and man what a difference. That is when I really started learning how to fly.

If you have the DX6i, and from the sounds of it you do, get a couple OrangeRx from hobbyking and stick one in your heli. I doubt you will be flying anymore than 400' from you, so no worry about losing signal. Just make sure the antenna is hanging out the back of the heli and not towards the motor.

as for a gyro combo, there are many to choose from, and it depends on how much money you have. If you have the cash, get the Align GP780 or GP790 and pair it with the DS520 tail servo. This is a 26g servo and is larger than what you have on there now. If you want to stick to the 9g size (the size you have now), get the DS420. Your tail will be rock solid with that setup. You can get these at a number of places including readyheli whom I use for all my Align parts.

If your pockets are like mine, and not that deep for a $200 tail setup, go to hobbypartz and get the GY48v gyro and EXI D213F digital servo. Should run you under $20 to get that order. Make sure to flip the switch on the gyro so it's in digital mode. The downside to this gyro is it's what's called a piezoelectric gyro. If you are going from a hot house to cold outdoors or vice versa, you will need to set your heli outside for about 10 minutes and let the gyro acclimate to the outside temp. If you don't, you will get a drift out of the gyro.

another option is to order the gyro from hobbyking. It was called the Assan GA-250, but now it's the HK GA-250. Same gyro, just rebranded. I used this gyro on everything from a 250, to a 600 with great results. And it pairs with the EXI D213F servo well. Just remember, the faster the tail servo, and the better the gyro, the more stable your tail will be.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom