450 Electronic glitches in my 450 SE V2 after spooling up...

Align 450 SE V2 Heli...Optic 6 transmitter, FM

Hey folks! My heli's electronics are glitching on me after spooling it up. I've rearranged my ESC and receiver locations, rerouted my wires and still getting the glitching. That is why I have come to RC HELP. i just got a new ESC and motor in, going to solder them up and swap them out to see if that helps. Could a bad ESC cause glitching? The heli has been crashed, years ago before storing it. That may have something to do with it. I never really knew how to set it up until recently learning on youtube, so I crashed it a few times right off the bat. I've logged LOTS of hours on a simulator but can't get the glitches out to fly mine!

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

The new motor and ESC seems to have fixed the glitching. Besides losing the bolt out of my head unit around mid stick (fixed that with blue LT, then), the pinion not being set on the flat spot and slipping (fixed that, then) my one way bearing getting very stiff I am finally shut down and in need of a new one way bearing. Grrrr. These problems are eating my lunch... I can't wait to fly it! The blades looked balance and seems to hover very good in the short time I had it up! I almost slammed down when that one way bearing locked up. Glad I was only in a two foot hover! Any suggestion are welcome. Thanks!

trainrider06

What were these glitches? What was the heli doing?
Ron's R/chelicopters sells all kinds of lubes including the bearing grease for the auto rotate bearing.
Are you sure it's the one way bearing and possibly one of the main shaft bearings?

Just sitting static on the table the servos would have tiny glitches. After spooling up, just over half stick, and getting into a hover the servos would really freak out and the swash plate would dump to the left really quick and the tail would snap spin about 100 degrees and I would set it down after that. It was so bad that it stripped two of my linkages rods from the ball links at one point I still had the original electronics from about 8 years ago, the BL430L motor and align 35A ESC. They had a few crashes logged from the past. I swapped out the receiver with another FM I had and replaced the motor and ESC with a Neewer brand. The Neewer ESC does not show to have a BEC, is that needed?

If seemed to hover very smooth until I had the other little problems occur, listed in my previous post. I took the main gear out after the whole head got stiff and it seems to be the one-way bearing that has blown out. It is very stiff to turn now. I did order two new OWB from Ron's heli. I should get some bearing lube too, I imagine.

I just want to fly this thing! I hope I am to the end of my setup problems.

holtneil

HI mate would you look into moving thing if yes move receiver to the back of the heli fit in side frame sides to base plate ( where the ESC is now ) move the esc to the front off the heli under the battery, this will get the main problem for interference well away from the receiver
Your receiver look like its the old 72 mhz as soon as poss get a 2.4g transmitter and receiver this will be much better for signal
if your ESC does not have a BEC your need one to run servos ,gyro and receiver

trainrider06

It sounds like either the reciever or maybe even radio has issues as far as the servo's acting weird.
Have you tried re binding the heli?
What kind of reciever are you running in it?

Your shaft problem now myself I think you have a main bearing in one of the bearing blocks freezing up
Or maybe a binding issue due to a bent main shaft. Since you said it has had a few crashes on it.

@holtneil I originally had the receiver in the back and the ESC under the battery. That was the first thing I changed and rerouted the wiring due to the random servo movement, glitching. I will go back to that configuration since that solved nothing during troubleshooting. I have a orange 2.4GHz module and receiver on the way to upgrade the 72mHz receiver. The servos, gyro and receiver seemed to work with the Neewer ESC (it doesn't specify weather a BEC/UBEC is built in). I am a bit confused on all of the BEC's functions evidently. My understanding is that it lowers the voltage so it can communicate with the servos, gyro and receiver. I will do some more research on them to clarify that. Thanks for the reply and the help. I'm still learning as I go!

- - - Updated - - -

@trainrider06 I have a Hitech- Electron 6 FM receiver in it. The antenna has been modified with a short one that is in the pic above. I had an extra Electron 6 with a regular antenna that I replaced it with. It still had the glitches and dumping of the swashplate. After swapping the motor and ESC it seemed to had stopped the gliteches for the shot time I got to hover it. The two bearing in the bearing blocks look to be moving freely but I did identity that the main shaft is slightly bent when I roll it on the table. I have ordered another main shaft, an new ESC with identifiable BEC built in. I hope I am making progress.

It was suggested to me that I scrap the heli, save what i can, and start over! After this next round of parts are installed and I still have issues, that will be the plan!

Stambo

The function of the BEC is to reduce battery voltage to around 5v (some go 6v or more but would be marked HV).
This 5v powers receiver, servos and FBL unit if fitted.
If the ESC does not have a bec, you should either have a separate BEC or a second small battery to power the electronics.
I know nothing about the Optic6 tx.
I may be wrong but I believe 72mhz is more susceptible to interference so perhaps 2.4 may help solve your problems.

trainrider06

Sounds like your on track then, yeah sometimes it's better to start out fresh instead of continuing to sink more and more money into some of these heli's. Depending on your interest and budget it might be worth it to pick up
a DX6i radio, and compatible electrics. Even though the DX6i has been replaced by the newer version it's a good radio and can be had for under a 100 bucks. It's a great starter radio, and is program friendly.
Keep us updated on progress!

Tony

Staff member
Shortening the wire on the FM Rx could also cause some issues. These need quite a long antenna to pick up the signal that is being sent to it. This is because it's in the MHz band. When you go to the newer 2.4GHz band, those have some very short antennas (although some still have longer antennas like the AR600 and AR7200BX), but not near as long as the old FM Tx's.

Top Bottom