Motors Electric over nitro or gas

My first experience with the world of RC was nearly 50 years ago. Back then they had nitro engines to power their planes and that was pretty much all there was. Yes they had electric motors but they were small and only used in planes that were little more than toys. They used large nitro motors with gear reductions or chainsaw motors to power large scale RC planes. After a 45+ year lay off I am getting back into flying. What I have noticed is that nearly everything, to include large scale planes, are using electric motors. My question is; What advantage, other than running cleaner and quieter, does the electric motors have? And are they just as powerful as nitro or gas motors?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
It's really just preference. Electrics have come a long way! I still prefer gas myself. Nitro is just so expensive these days. But I run gas motors on my planes and electric in my helis. I am however looking to get into nitro helis!

RandyDSok

Electric motors provide quicker response and more torque than a nitro... but they are limited by the battery capacity that the model can carry... so a nitro will often be able to fly longer than an equivelantly sized electric because the battery weight.

Westy

LEGEND
Gas is the way to go if you have a good healthy bank account. They are clean burning, powerful and you get a lot more flying time due to less weight (batteries are heavy).... or even better .... a Turnbine!!!!!

You know that is if you an engine nut! ... I like my electric (I have onlyone Nitro Plane in a million bits) but how frustrating is it when you are just getting the feel for a new move or technique and you only wish you had another 2 sets of batteries.

I am getting a good run out of my batteries and I but a mark with a sharpie (Fine Permanant marker) so I can get accurate number on how many cycles the battery has done .... so far they are at 41 and going strong.

I want to get a nitro .... ya never know someone might give me one ... out of the kindness of their hearts... Ha ha

Ok, I am beginning to get the picture. It is sort of like Breeze400 said, It's really just a matter of preference. Apparently electric motors can do every thing except maybe the really large stuff. The number of flights you can get in a day is limited only by the number of batteries you have. Glow engines have their niche and come in many sizes to fit almost any application. They are, however, messy, loud, and the fuel is rather spendy. Gas engines appear to be for large plane application. The smallest gas engine I can find is a 20cc.

Taking everything in to account, I would use electric on powered sailplanes and park flyers. For mid-ranged planes up to about a 90 sized glow I would use glow engines. Anything requiring a 90 or above glow gets a gas engine.

Sometime in the next couple of months I will be building a Telemaster Senior and using a Thunder Tiger GP 61 as a power supply to conserve weight and keep the wingloading down. I have been eyeballing a 1/4 scale J3 Piper Cub. For the Cub I would use a 26cc Gas engine.

I would like to thank everyone for their input.

Tony

Staff member
Cleaned up your link for you, there was a "%20NEWS" or a space plus "NEWS" before the URL. And I have always loved that plane. I have thought about doing that plane out of foam board for the new pilots to learn on. Would be much easier than the RCH Trainer to build.

Can't wait to see it. And I know what you mean about the money lmao.

Top Bottom