Motors Electric Helicopter Motor Sound

Derek

I was just watching some random helicopter videos on Youtube (Imagine that!) and I noticed something. There are some really different sounds coming from different brands of helicopters. I've noticed the same is quite true with my own helicopters.

For example, my 450 and my 500 have a high pitched sound that comes from them. My 600 has a similar sound but it's not as high pitched. I watched some SAB Goblin videos and that high pitched sound isn't there. Some Logo helicopter videos I watched were similar to both the above. Some helicopters have that high pitched sound and some don't.

Is that due to a brand of motor or style of motor? I'd love to get rid of that high pitched sound, lol.

murankar

Staff member
Kits that use a belt from the motor to main gear will be more quiet. My protos is more quiet over my Gaui, Protos is a belt drive system from the motor to the tail, the Gaui is gear on gear on gear.

My neighbors 450 pro dfc is super quiet compared to my gaui and he has gear on gear from the motor to main gear, not sure if its torque tube or belt. Another difference is i am running a scorpion and he has a standard mx series motor.

Blades will also make a difference in over all sound. What i am wondering is if setup can effect the over all noise?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

sarconastic

I have noticed a difference even on my little ones. When you first spool up the motor is a high pitched whine, at some point on some of them the noise of the blades overcomes the whine of the motor making them sound more like a regular heli and less Whiney. But on some it never overcomes it (lower head speed maybe?). So you hear either the motor whine or the pinion motor mesh whine. I have noticed from past experience with cars and trucks that a pinion mesh that is not right will whine a LOT.

WOody

danhampson

the HS will also change the sound of the heli, the same heli running 2 different HS will be different the higher the HS the higher the pitch of the motor and gears.

Top Bottom