General Eflite Convergence Crash On Maiden Flight

OSUAggie90

Hi all,

I have another issue that I would like to post.

I was flying my Convergence for the first time last night when: I was in hover mode, about 30 feet off the ground. I had been flying it for about 2 minutes. All of a sudden, I had no control and the aircraft went into a flat spin and crashed. It broke the Styrofoam at the right wing motor nacelle. It was only about 100 feet away from me, so it wasn't out of range. Also, the battery was fully charged before I started flying. I have seen some Youtube videos where this very occurred to other pilots.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks
OSUAggie

Convergence.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I have read some reports of this as well. And like you, I have no idea and have read no reason, why it is doing it. It just seems to freak out on people. Of course for those that get it free from banggood, they always give a great review. But the comments never lie. If you find the reason, I would be interested in knowing what it was.

OSUAggie90

I have read some reports of this as well. And like you, I have no idea and have read no reason, why it is doing it. It just seems to freak out on people. Of course for those that get it free from banggood, they always give a great review. But the comments never lie. If you find the reason, I would be interested in knowing what it was.

It seems like what from I've seen and heard so far, the motors in hover mode pull so many amps (about 30 ) that the flight control board either unbinds or the voltage drops too far the board shuts down the aircraft to protect it.

Tony

Staff member
So this is a voltage sag issue? I wonder if you couldn't put a separate battery with a 5v BEC and cure this issue. You would have to disable the regulator on the FC and feed it with your off board BEC though. But that is not that hard, you would just have to remove the voltage regulator on the FC and wire in your other BEC that is powered from another battery.

OSUAggie90

So this is a voltage sag issue? I wonder if you couldn't put a separate battery with a 5v BEC and cure this issue. You would have to disable the regulator on the FC and feed it with your off board BEC though. But that is not that hard, you would just have to remove the voltage regulator on the FC and wire in your other BEC that is powered from another battery.

So far I have not seen a fix for this issue. I sent Horizon Hobbies an e-mail to see if this issue was corrected in later versions.

Top Bottom