Projects Edge 540 Build - A3 Size

regme40

Hi

Well I'm going to give this plane ago as an A3 size instead of a A4. This partly due to the printer being set to A3 as default when I printed.

After joining all the pages together the size of the plane is roughly 800mm long with a wing span of 1050mm.

This is roughly an increase in size of about 300mm from the A4 version.

I'm going to use both 5mm and 10mm forecore for the build. The 10mm will be used for the vertical part of the body and 5mm for the horizontal. The wings will be 5mm as per the original plans. The wings will be done as two parts, partly because the foamcore I ordered is 550 x 800.

Well that's it for now, justing on materials

Cheers

2gtbwoz.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Can't wait to see how this turns out. Make sure to post lots of pictures, and when you are ready for that maiden flight, POST VIDEO!!!!! lol

Derek

oh WOW!!! That's awesome!!! I can't wait to see the progress of this build! Be sure to use plenty of carbon fiber or something for rigidity and plenty of pictures and video!!

regme40

Well I've glued the plane together, I'll get pics up. So while that's happening. I'm going to use this plane primarily as a 3D. So I'm setting all the throws to 50deg and 25deg for take off's and landings.

I have a DX6i, it seems that the dual rates for the alierons, elevator and rudder are on three seperate switches. I was trying to figure out is there a way to put all three onto one switch?

As for covering the plane I was going to use self adhesive contact paper (the stuff you can cover books with). When I cover the wings, is it better to follow the contours of the foamcore, or stretch it over so its a smooth transition from the leading edge to the fold of the alieron? (I hope that made sense)

murankar

Staff member
It should work either way. If you don't follow the steps then you will get a normal airfoil.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

I had to go get my DX6i to double check but it looks like the DX6i will not allow you to set all three dual rates to the same switch.

Matthias is right...I would definitely try to keep the KFM steps, as much as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. I have two of the RCH Edge 540 Profile Planes. One flies slow and sluggish...the other is quite fast and flips/rolls very well.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you can set all 3 on a single switch. However, you must do it in the systems menu, not the normal menu. I don't have my DX6i anymore so I have no idea exactly where, but I"m sure I covered it in a video somewhere. I'm sure it's in one of these 4 videos I made years back.

Rc-Help - DX6i How-To

regme40

Ok here are a few pics of the build.

I'm going to place a balsa long the fuselage, top and bottom, just to give it a bit of rigidity. Saw that on another plan. As you can see I doubled the parts for the fuselage, however where the elevator is I cut the bottome piece so the elevator was 5mm thick rather than 10mm

I think I'll cut holes, with a wooden surround, for the sevos for the elevator and rudder that way I can screw them in rather than glue. The alierons I'll still thinking about those on how to mount them without having to glue them to the wing.

The rudder was connected via plastic hinges.

kp201405030001w.jpg

kp201405030002w.jpg

kp201405030003w.jpg

kp201405030004w.jpg

kp201405030006w.jpg

kp201405030007w.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention. The top part of the fuselage had to be cut a bit differently than the plans to take into account the new width. I opted for reducing the to part rather than the bottom of the part (less cutting).

kp201405030001w.jpg

kp201405030002w.jpg

kp201405030003w.jpg

kp201405030004w.jpg

kp201405030006w.jpg

kp201405030007w.jpg

regme40

Ok here are few stats at the moment as per the photos above (ie no cover, servos, motor etc)
Wt 677g
Wing Span 1050mm
Wing Area 246 346mm2

Starting to mount the servos just going to use the HK HX900.

So for the battery and esc does any one have any pics on how they mounted these. NOt sure about cutting hole in the fuselage (like the HK Reaktor)

Once I have covered I'll start looking into a motor.

Cheers

Derek

Hey regme40....i just wanted to let you know that I posted a video of my flights from Saturday. One of those flights was my RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane. It really does fly well! I posted the video in the "Members Video" section of the forum.

Tony

Staff member
How is this build going? Trying to get caught up on the forum again lol. Would love to see this thing completed and in teh air! With this size, I would bet that it's much more stable than the one I designed! If that is possible lol.

regme40

Hey

Well the build is slow surfs been up. Anyway here are a few more pics.

This is how I mounted the servo's

_MG_9261w.jpg

_MG_9263w.jpg

_MG_9264w.jpg

Finally covered

_MG_9347w.jpg

_MG_9349w.jpg

As is the plane weigh's in at 877g.

I still have to size the motor and prop for it, but I'm thinking of the Turnigy D3548/4 110kv.

- - - Updated - - -

Lesson's Learnt

The build itself was striaght forward, although some dimensions had to be adjust after the cutting out the pieces. Maybe next time I should draw it up in AutoCAD and size it a bit better. The hot glue was abit too quick it would have been better to have a bit more time to get the pieces set right.

The covering was not the best. Used PVC Contact adhesive (the stuff for covering books). Tried to cover the wing in two pieces, but I didn't have enough hands. I think it would have been better to cover all the pieces prior to gluing that way I wouldn't have had as many creases.

Actually, I think maybe painting the plane first then using packing tape instead would have been better. Although a water based paint may warp the wings a bit if you paint it too thick.

_MG_9261w.jpg

_MG_9263w.jpg

_MG_9264w.jpg

_MG_9347w.jpg

_MG_9349w.jpg

Derek

The plane looks great! What colors do you have on the underside? Hopefully the underside is different than the top. It will be difficult to differentiate the top from the bottom if both sides are the same. Other than that...this is awesome!!

regme40

The underside of the plane is all red.

Ok, I have been trying to figure out what motor / esc / battery combo I will require for 3d / sports flying.

So far I have a few spread sheets but no answers. The plane weighes in at 877grams with no gear on board.

I have worked out the following

Motor D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv
Propeller APC 9x6
ESC 15 Amp
Battery 11.1V 2200mAh 25C

Wing Area 0.25m2

Any ideas?

Cheers

regme40

Well, in trying to figure out the motor/battery/esc combo I have created a dog of a plane.

It seems that a 877g plane is too heavy for 3D flying. However, I would still like to get it into the air even if comes back in pieces.

I have the following motors sitting around
Turnigy D3548/4 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motor
D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv
NTM Prop Drive Series 35-42A 1250Kv 600W

I also have an APC 12x6E and 8 x4E.

Currently the wing loading is 3560g/m2 from my searching a sports aerobatic is around 6103 to 7629g/m2 so I might still have a chance.

So if I could get some guidance on the motor and propeller that would be great

Cheers

murankar

Staff member
I don't think its a weight issue. You can build a 60% with balsa and be well over that weight.

What its going to boil down to is design. Are the wings made to be 3d, are the control surfaces adequate for 3d? Next is the power system: do you have the right motor, esc, battery and prop combo to achieve 3d?

Truth be told i am not a plankerbut i do know Tony has/had a extra 540 that is a 3d beast. So take a look at the design before you throw out the idea.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

Well, your D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv only has about 160w. That's not very much for a plane of this size. I think we need to be looking into something of the 400-500w range.

That NTM motor is about 500w on 3S and 600w on 4s. I think this would be an impressive motor on your plane. I just don't like the NTM motors because their amp rating is always so high. This motor looks to require a 55-60amp esc. But....in the "Reviews" section on Hobby Kings website, a guy has reported that this motor, with a 55amp esc (I'd rather go 60, personally), a 4S 1800mah lipo, and a 12x6 prop gives his awesome punch outs and I would imagine the 3D performance would be awesome.

3D performance also depends on your control surface deflection. My RCH Edge 540 has about 1/2" of deflection, up and down, with low rates. When I flip to high rates, I have about 1 1/2" of deflection, up and down.....that much deflection, teamed up with very high expo, seems to work really well. It's just awesome!!!

I wish you luck buddy! I really wanna see your project in the air!

Top Bottom