ESC ECS w/Integrated BEC For 700 size helis. Is there such a thing?

Cybervanes

So looking to upgrade to my first 700 size heli and looks as though im going to have to be careful on which ESC I choose.

I'll be running scorpion HK4525-520 motor, high voltage servos, spectrum rx and the beastX FBL controller. (Batteries 2 5000mah 22.2v 65C)

can anybody recommend a good electrical set up?

Thanks in advance! :frog:

- - - Updated - - -

Is the Phoenix Ice2 HV 160 BEC adequate for powering the Servos, FBL system, and the receiver?

Separate Battery for Separate BEC?

Same Batteries as ESC but Separate BEC?

Different ESC all together?

lots of learning to do...:culpability:

Tony

Staff member
I have never had a 700, but on my 600 I ran the BEC right off the main batteries. It looks like you have a good plan on a great setup. And I'm not sure I would want to run an ESC with an internal BEC on something that big if it does exist. If you want a true system, I would run a seperate 2s battery for the power to the Rx via the BEC. Those that have these heli's can help a lot more than myself though. I know Eric in Texas has some and knows his stuff. But I have not seen him on here in quite some time.

Lee

Most people run a separate BEC or a RX battery. The little knowledge i have gained is that the best value for money BEC, for a 700 is this one Gryphon BEC The company are very active on forums and quick to fix any issues or give advice. There is also the Castle Creation 20A BEC Pro A very popular choice.
I'm considering a 700 size heli for later in the year (funds permitting) I think to avoid possible malfunctions with unnecessary parts, I will go the separate RX battery pack.
The CC 160HV ESC is a well know unit. Which has been its downfall. Many reports of fires caused by this unit. But as we know only people with problems tend to post in forums. But when you here of someone losing a brand new SAB Goblin due to an ESC fire, causing $700 of damage, you have to think hard about what you want to put in your pride and joy. As for other options i'm not sure whats best. There is the Scorpion unit or if you have the $$$$$ Kontronics have the rolls royce of ESCs.
Take my advice as what i have gathered from the internet not actual experience. Hope you find what you need.
Lets see lots of pics when you build this bird. Which one are you going for?

murankar

Staff member
How does one find out big of a bec is needed? just me asking more noob questions. I really like the idea of a bec even though I am only running a 450, plus I want to be able to get the most out of the Savox servos that are in route. It will be at least a month till I go full out with the new servos, still need to order the elevator servo.

Lee

Cybervanes

Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

The 700 kit I'm building is the SAB Goblin.

Unforuntly I've already purchased the ice2 hv esc.

Cybervanes

The reports of fires you've read about ever disclose the cause? In proper wiring? No bec used and the electronics pulling to much power?

Lee

First. You lucky lucky man. I want a Goblin. Its a toss up between that and the Compass 7HV. The guy i have been following is Bobby from RC Today Podcast. He built one for a review donated by Helidirect. I think it was the 3 or 4th flight that it went up in flames $700 damage.
They said it was fixed on the V2 ESC but nope. But then others have had that esc for a while now with no issues. Just goggle Castle creation 160HV fire, and you'll see many peoples views of it.

murankar

Staff member
Folks we have a winner! The first RCH member to own a Goblin. Sorry Lee, Gaba and Tony cybervanes wins the prize! Cyber you now have bragging rights! :lol:

Derek

Since my question is related to this topic, I'll ask here....

Many of you know that I have a Trex 500 and I love this machine. I have a lot of fun with it. Anyway...I'm trying to understand "fully" what an external BEC is for. My understanding, on one of my scratch build planes, is that I have an external BEC because for #1 my 40AMP ESC has no internal BEC and for #2 the external BEC will allow my plane to have a bit of power, in the event of a battery power loss, I would be able to use the power from the external BEC to power my servos and Rx so that I can get my plane to the ground, hopefully safely. Would it be beneficial to get and add an external BEC just in case of the unthinkable? Or should I just let it go and fly my 500?

Thanks guys!

Tony

Staff member
Actually, the ESC and the BEC run off the same battery. So if you have a failure, you will lose all electrical items on the heli. The BEC is only there to provide power to the Rx and servos via the Rx. You can also run what's called a Rx pack and get rid of the BEC, but the BEC is just much more convenient. Most of the larger ESC's dont' have a built in BEC and you must supply your own.

Lee

I have an External BEC on my 500 but not on my 600. Reason is the 500 ESC is a cheapy so i dont trust the internal BEC. The one on the 600 is proven to have a good internal BEC and sofar after more than a year, its still going good. As Tony said, if you battery fails the BEC won't help. But if the ESC fails, the Ex BEC will keep power to the servos to be able to auto.
Saying this Scorpion just came out BEC/Battery unit not checked it yet.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
All I can tell you is I have an Align 600 exp. it has seporate batteries for the rx-servos and motor. I'm running a 6s for the motor and a 2s for the rx so this is the way it came from the factory. Most be something in it for Align to do it this way.

Derek

so basically, for my 500...i should just not worry about it and hopefully the stock ESC that came with it will last me for a while. I'm still just hovering around, learning orientation, and doing small curcuits. nothing major...but I'm getting there and feeling more confident.

Tony

Staff member
The Align ESC's are some of the best around, up there with Scorpion, Castle Creations and the like. I would have no worries running the factory ESC on that helicopter.

murankar

Staff member
At the 500 size you should be good. Anything bigger and i would suggest an external bec. Due to the safety of the machine and how much damage those bigger birds can do to someone or something I would advise on external.

Top Bottom