FB Gyro E-flite Hh Problem

Heliman450

Hi all,

I decided to dust off my Beam E4 heli and have got things set up and working OK apart from an odd gyro reaction that might be something simple that I'm just missing............

The gyro is an E-Flite EFLRG110HL and seems to be working fine in 'Rate Mode'. However, when I switch to 'HH Mode' the tail rotor blades move steadily to give maximum left rudder. It moves to the right as expected but returns to the full left position.

Tony

Staff member
Have you tried to fly it yet? Or even just sat it on a smooth floor without main rotors but with tail rotors and tried to see what the helicopter is going to do? If not, I would give this a try just to see if it is waiting on an input. Older HH gyros are weird, especially piezoelectric gyros which this is.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, thanks for the quick response.

No, I haven't tried it out yet. The heli was sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get round to it. The original gyro was damaged when I unpacked the heli after its journey back from Singapore and so the replacement was just what the local model shop guys had in stock (cheap).

I've tried moving the nose left/right with the motor disconnected (so not with the rotors spinning) but it just sticks with the full left position. I'll give it a 'whirl' as you suggest and get back.

What do you mean by "weird"?

Tony

Staff member
By weird, I mean that piezoelectric gyros are very sensitive. They were fantastic when they first came out back in the day, but by todays standards, they just barely get the job done. MEMS took over the scene and doesn't have the same affects that the piezoelectric has. For example, say it is 65ºF inside your house, but it is 30ºF outside. If you take that helicopter from one to the other to fly it, you need to allow it to acclimate to the temp difference otherwise it can freak out on you. The vibrating crystal in the gyro is sensitive to not only temperature but also to EMI (electro magnetic interference) which can throw it off. Motors and ESC's are the main source on a helicopter, but too close to a good servo, and they too can cause issues. Hope that explains the "weird" statement lol.

Heliman450

Cheers Tony, didn't know anything at all about this feature of "weird".

I tried out what you said and there is no change, it holds at maximum left stick position. I did the test in the same indoor environment so that isn't a variable in this case. It also doesn't respond to any left/right movement of the heli in either mode. Is it junk?

Tony

Staff member
Have you by chance went through the setup of this gyro? It's early and I may have missed it. If not, try the setup. Also, where do you have your gain set in your Tx?

Heliman450

The Tx. is my JRProPo DSX9 that is normally my simulator these days as this is the only interface that I have with the Rx.(Spektrum AR6200). I'm not sure what you mean by "setup of this gyro". It's only stuck in position and connected up exactly as it came from the box about two years ago. Maybe this is where the problem lies..................

Tx. is setup as follows - Normal (Pos.0) = 35%, Stunt 1 (Pos. 1) = 75% and Stunt 2 (Pos.2) = 80%. These are only initial settings to see the changes in the 'Monitor' display changing with the switch movements. 'Rate' and 'Heading Hold' are switching with the 'Gear' switch.

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to say it's time to update this gyro with something better. Even the HK GA-250 would be a better option than this gyro. Especially as it sounds like it is a bad unit now anyway.

Heliman450

Oh dear, oh dear..................... if there's no rescue formula on this one then the heli is destined for a strip down and the electronics go into the spare parts drawer. I can't get parts other than via the internet and the first and last time I tried it the P&P cost twice as much as the bits. It's anyway a FB model, so no problem there.

Thanks for your input on it.

Heliman450

Hi all, my Beam E4 is officially no more. After around nine years with over six of them packed away I stripped it down and disposed of it keeping the electronics for possible future use.

Top Bottom