Spektrum DX9

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey gents, Id like to set a slightly higher gyro gain for throttle hold only. Can I do that on the DX9? Been messing with but cant see it.
Thanks, T

Smoggie

Just use a gear>gear channel mix activated from the hold switch that adds whatever % that you want.

Curious on why you would want it though?

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
lol, well I fly in rate mode and the tail kicks when I hit TH for a auto. I was thinking I could stop it from kicking by adding some gain in hold mode. Kinda silly I know....

Smoggie

Good thinking, it could well work to at least reduce the kick a bit. The tail will tend to kick (tail left, nose right) when you hit hold because the torque comes off the main rotor so the tail doesn't need to apply counter torque anymore (but you probably figured that already). If you used heading hold it would be much less noticable. I fly in heading hold and I usually land by doing mini autos, the kick is not noticable most of the time.

I've never tried flying in rate mode, why do you prefer it?

Last edited:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I think its just old school. When I started flying RC Helis we didn't have heading hold gyros so just use to flying in rate. You really have to fly the tail in HH where as in rate the tail kinda follows the nose. Sort of like flying fixed wing I guess...

Smoggie

Yeah, i know exactly what you mean. I started flying helis a little over 4 years ago but had flown fixed wing for many years before that. I used rudder quite a bit on my fixed wing so didn't find using HH too difficult to adapt to, but you are dead right, you have to be on the rudder all the time to keep the heli pointing the way it's flying.

Funnily enough it's worked for me in my fixed wing flying because I've been trying out a fixed wing gyro systems that has 'attitude hold' which is just heading hold by another name. So you need to fly that much like you do a heli in HH.

Tony

Staff member
Weather vein effect is what that is called. As you are flying straight, it helps pull the tail behind the helicopter like an airplane does. HH mode will keep the tail angled.

Smoggie

I'll take the much improved tail hold of HH over the need to fly the tail more. I honestly don't have to even think about it anymore, just apply rudder to keep the heli pointing in it's direction of travel. Because I've never used rate mode on a heli HH just seems the natural way to fly them.

Tony

Staff member
Agreed Smoggie. That is exactly how I fly as well. Just used to pointing the tail where I want it after years of flying that way. But there are the others that have flown helicopters for years, way before HH mode and that is how they are as well. To each their own and whatever works for them is the way they need to do it. Like those people that like to fly mode 3 and not mode 1. Different strokes for different folks.

Admiral

Thanks for the education guys, I must have come into Helis soon after the arrival of HH gyros, started on HH & thought Rate was just for setting up.

Top Bottom