General DX9 Throttle Cut

Harford

I have programmed in the Throttle Cut Option for one of my Helis. Selected Switch H, negative -130%. The function works when moving switch from position 0 to 1 (ie. I can see this on the Throttle Cut screen when moving the throttle stick). However, when I do this I don’t get a voice alert that I have moved from Normal to Hold, and the main screen continues to display Normal rather than Hold when I have moved the switch position. Also, there is no position H displayed in the Throttle Curve screen.

All this is in contrast to another model on the same Tx. Same throttle hold settings, Position H is displayed on the throttle curve screen, and voice alert when changing the Hold switch (H) from off to on,main screen changes from Normal to Hold.

Any help to solve this would be much appreciated

Michael

Smoggie

Go into the 'System Setup' menu and scroll down to 'F-Mode Setup'

In there you you can set which switch you want to use for Hold. It's probably at 'Inhibit' right now which removes Hold from the flight mode selection. Just set it to the switch that you want to use and that will make Hold available.

Harford

That was exactly the problem. Thank you very much for your help. All is good now.

Thank you again

Michael

Tony

Staff member
Throttle cut is mainly for nitro birds to kill the engine. Throttle hold will just hold the throttle at a predetermined setting (such as 0%) so that the blades will not spin. I have both setup on my 600 Nitro, but only hold on all of my electrics.

Glad Steve was able to sort it out for you.

Harford

The DX9 seems only to refer to throttle cut in the menu, although the main screen display and voice warning refers to Hold. In any event, there is a default of -130% in the throttle cut menu, I assigned to switch H, when I flip the switch the throttle stick does not activate the throttle so all seems good. Just trying to protect against accidental spooling up when on the ground. Thanks again.

Smoggie

As Tony says, for an electric heli you wouldn't normally use Throttle Cut, because on electric both Hold performs that function (i.e. it cuts the motor). Cut would normally be used on a nitro because on a nitro hold doesn't stop the engine, it just set it to idle.

On the other hand if you want two switches to give dual protection against accidental spoolup that's ok, but it does add a small risk that you accidentally knock the extra switch and cut power. This is especially true if either the hold or cut switch is located close to a switch that gets regular use (like near the flight mode switch for instance).

Jimbo

Oddly, on my DX-9, setting up throttle hold in the FMODE screen works for all my helicopters, except my Trex 250, using a Spirit Pro FBL. I have to use Throttle Cut, to get it to work. I have no idea why.

Jim

Smoggie

Jim,

If you mean that you have throttle hold available, but it only slows and doesn't stop the motor, then the ESC throttle range needs to be calibrated.

Tony

Staff member
The way I have it is on every helicopter I have, Hold is on switch H, or the one on the far back and on the right. That is where I have trained myself to have it. On everything that has a nitro engine, again, Hold is in the same spot, but I put throttle cut on the R Trim Down button. That way, even if I do hit hold by accident, it will not kill the engine (unless it's just stupid rich lol). Figured I would toss that out there.

Jimbo

OK, so throttle hold (on a nitro) prevents accidental spool up, where throttle cut shuts the engine down. I didn't know that.

I started out with a Devo-10 (no rear switches) and the fellow helping me out put throttle hold on the left (Rudder DR) switch. I am trained to that now, so I put TH on the "A" switch.

Tony

Staff member
It's all about what is most comfortable for the person using the Tx. I like it on the right rear, some like it on the left rear, some would maybe want to put it on the E switch on a DX9. That is what is so great about these new transmitters, you can put anything anywhere on them.

And about hold vs cut, hold should always be an actual switch and cut will 'usually' be put on a momentary switch such as L or R trim or even switch I which on a DX9 is the trainer switch. You would normally only use it to kill the engine, and then release it.

Mike Waddell

I fly airplanes, using a DX9, but, I'm also having a problem with "Throttle Cut." The option to set the cut is completely removed, vanished, not there, lost in cyber world. I have mine on switch "H." What happened and how do I get it back. Last time I was able to enter Throttle Cut, the "Delay" said Inhibit. Any help?

Top Bottom