500 DX9 and Microbeast Plus Gyro Set Up

Harford

Another question please regarding a Trex 450L build. I am using a DX9 with the 450L & Microbeast Plus.
I have just acquired the DX9 so I have no experience with it (having used the original DX7 for the past few years).
I don’t know what I should be doing as far as programming the DX9 gyro function is concerned for this setup. I am using a single Spektrum satellite with the Microbeast.
The DX9 gyro menu option allows you to allocate a gain value to an independent switch (I could choose switch A). I assume I should do this, and if yes, what should the gains be initially please (I appreciate they may need to be fine tuned later).
The next question is what Channel do I assign this gyro function to please (eg Channel 5 , Gear ? – although CH5 on the Microbeast is used for the throttle/ESC)
It will be obvious I am a bit lost with this.
Many thanks

Harford

Thanks Tony.
I have looked at your DX9 video on basic set up for helis but have not looked at the AR7200BX videos. I will do this. Many thanks again

Harford

Hi Tony,
I have looked at the AR7200BX videos as you suggested. Excellent, but I am still unsure what I should be doing with the DX9. It has a Gyro menu option. This option is Inhibited when I received it. Do I simply leave it at this setting.
The impression I have from your videos is that the Microbeast/AR7200 will look after everything once you have gone through all the set up steps on the Microbeast .

Many thanks

Tony

Staff member
In the BeastX Parameter Menu D, set the tail gyro to User Defined. (I read the manual and the wording is weird. It's saying that you need an adapter. More on this in a second)

In the Tx, go into your gyro menu and click Inhibit and set it to a switch where you can get to it easily. I put it on switch D since that is where it is on the cheaper Tx's. Once you do that, at the very bottom there will be a menu asking what channel. Set this to channel 5 or Gear. I have my 550 Align set as follows...

Pos 0: 40%
Pos 1: 0%
Pos 2: -40%

The reason I have it that way is, I fly in Pos 0 (Heading Hold). Pos 1 is used to act like there is no tail gyro at all and to center the tail blades before I take off. Pos 2 I use if I need to tune the tail in if need be (I have never had to do it) and also to center the tail blades.

On my gyros I have never had to use an adapter for the tail gain. Once you set it up as I have explained above, turn on the gyro and let it completely initialize. Flip through the 3 positions and watch the lights on top of the gyro. They should change as you flip the switch and show you what the gain is showing.

Hope this helps.

Harford

More on my Dominator 450L build. I have an issue with Channel 2 on Beast X. Using the Spectrum Satellite, I have servos connect to BeastX as follows :
Ch 1 - Elevator
Ch 2 - Pitch
Ch 3 - Aileron
Ch 4 - Rudder

The Elevator and Aileron servos are working fine but the pitch servo barely moves (a slight movement in either direction) when moving the collective on the DX9. I swapped the Pitch and Aileron servos over on the BeastX and the Pitch servo worked fine and the Aileron servo barely moved so the issue is not with the servo.

Obviously a set up problem and I suspect it has something to do with the servo travel adjust menu in the DX9. I have done nothing here but I see the Beastx manual says the servo throws must be set to 100%. Is this likely to be the problem and do you have a video showing how to set the values to 100% on a DX9. In the servo adjust menu, all the values above the servo name show 100, but the values on the extreme left beside the horizontal bar for each servo vary (some are 59 for example).

You help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Harford

Please ignore the above question - I managed to work it out (incorrect swash type setting in Tx !)

Harford

Hi Tony,
Referring to your AR7200BX videos (link as above). Regarding device orientation, you say select solid blue at menu point A as the device is horizontal with servo wires/sockets at the back. I have my Microbeast installed in exactly the same position (horizontal, servo wires /sockets at the back) with the top of the device (power button status lights etc) all facing upwards - just like yours in the video. However the Microbeast manual appears to say this should be solid Red at menu point A. Am I misinterpreting this please ?
Many thanks

Tony

Staff member
If the manual says it should be red, then by all means go with red. There could be a difference like this between the microbeast vs the AR7200bx.

Harford

Thank you for this. The concerning thing is I have had it set to Blue and the heli flies just fine (ie gentle hovering in the back garden).

- - - Updated - - -

I should have added the Microbeast manual says solid blue is for inverted mounting, horizontal with sockets at the back.

Harford

I have a comprehension problem. Can you please give me some form of Microbeast link which says Blue is correct for upright and rear facing sockets (my interpretation is mauual says red)

Tony

Staff member
If the manual says red, then that is what I would go by. The way you check to see if it is correct is to just pick it up and move the helicopter. If you tilt right, the swash should go left. if you tilt forward, the swash should tilt backwards. And if you move the yaw, the trailing edge of the tail blades should point into the direction of movement. Hope this helps.

Harford

Many thanks for your response. Red is a disaster in this configuration. I can only assume I have a comprehension problem - Blue is what it must be.

Tony

Staff member
Copy that. With all of the different models of the gyros that are out there, sometimes the manual can be wrong. Just triple check your correction directions and you will be golden.

Harford

Hi Tony
My interpretation is the manual says Red. I know from bad experience this is wrong. Blue is correct, just as you say in your videos. Can you have a look at the relevant page from the manual and perhaps give me your view on why I have interpreted this incorrectly. I have emailed this to you (not sure how to insert in this thread !)

Many thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I have not emailed it to you as no monitored address. I am not sure how to get a pdf to you. Thanks

Tony

Staff member
It's all good. As long as all of the directions are right on the heli it should do just fine. Just chalk it up to another little quirk of this hobby lol.

Tony

Staff member
It's my pleasure. And welcome to the wonderful world that is Rc. Where some things are not as they seem lol. Make sure to get some video if you can of the maiden flight! Would love to see it.

Top Bottom