Spektrum Dx8 to dx6i buddy cable?

xokia

Can I connect my dx8 to my dx6i and have the dx8 as the master?

I read somewhere they needed to be the same model but I don't know how reliable that info is.

Westy

LEGEND
yep you sure can!

DX6i (Student)
Bind model, establish correct trim settings
Set 100% rates
NO EXPO ON STUDENT UNIT
Plug trainer cord in, leave power switch off

DX8 (Instructor)
Bind model
Set DR to whatever desired
Set expo as desired
In system setup menu, set Trainer mode to Pilot Link Master
Trainer cord in, power switch ON

Adjust the trims on the STUDENT tx so that with the sticks in neutral,the servos don't jump (much) when switching between student and master.

The master radio will read the signals from the trainer as if they came in on its own sticks, and it does all the D/R, Expo, and mixing based upon the instructor's radio.

In Programmable Master you need to do the mixing, trims, etc. Then the master can disallow control of individual servos from the student. This is really easy to do when using two DX8's because you can just copy the model over via the SD card.

Last edited:

xokia

Thanks I have a friend that would like to try flying. I figured I'd start him out on my mcpx. I've never tried this so it should be interesting hahaha.

Westy

LEGEND
good luck ..... show us a vid of your setup .... so other can learn by seeing rather than reading :)

flaper

I have followed the instructions you gave for the dx6......but I have a dx5.
when my dx8 is set and ready I plug the trainer cord in ....the screen says no slave.
I then plug the other end to the dx5 and the dx8 screen still says no slave.
I have 2 dx5 trans and both do the same...
When the dx8 and dx5 are plugged in and I press the trainer but the screen displays
"Warning no slave"
Thanks for any help you can offer......yes I have current firmware.

Derek

ahhh, this is awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you. I'll be purchasing the DX8 near the end of next month and I'm hoping to Buddy Box with my wife. She wants to learn to fly. I'm certainly not a pro rc flyer, so it should be interesting to see who crashes first...me or her, lol

Westy

LEGEND
hmmm .... ok that kinda stuffs that theory!

LOL

in the DX8 did you In system setup menu, set Trainer mode to Pilot Link Master ?? and the DX8 is turned on?

and the slave TX is left turned off?

Tony

Staff member
As stated, you have to set the DX8 to what ti's going to be used for. Hold the roller button and turn the Tx on, then scroll down to Trainer and set your parameters.

Derek

yep you sure can!

DX6i (Student)
Bind model, establish correct trim settings
Set 100% rates
NO EXPO ON STUDENT UNIT
Plug trainer cord in, leave power switch off

DX8 (Instructor)
Bind model
Set DR to whatever desired
Set expo as desired
In system setup menu, set Trainer mode to Pilot Link Master
Trainer cord in, power switch ON

Adjust the trims on the STUDENT tx so that with the sticks in neutral,the servos don't jump (much) when switching between student and master.

The master radio will read the signals from the trainer as if they came in on its own sticks, and it does all the D/R, Expo, and mixing based upon the instructor's radio.

In Programmable Master you need to do the mixing, trims, etc. Then the master can disallow control of individual servos from the student. This is really easy to do when using two DX8's because you can just copy the model over via the SD card.

So, you'll bind the Rx to both Tx's?

Or are you saying to bind the slave Tx to the Rx just to get the correct trims and then bind the master Tx to the Rx to set DR's, expo's and such?

I'm getting really close to getting my motor glider dialed in and my wife is kinda itching to get the sticks in her hands. I just wanna make sure that I understand what you are saying.

flaper

I have followed the instructions you gave for the dx6......but I have a dx5.
when my dx8 is set and ready I plug the trainer cord in ....the screen says no slave.
I then plug the other end to the dx5 and the dx8 screen still says no slave.
I have 2 dx5 trans and both do the same...
When the dx8 and dx5 are plugged in and I press the trainer but the screen displays
"Warning no slave"
Thanks for any help you can offer......yes I have current firmware.

Well ...after spending 2hrs with horizon .....and 4 different techs....It appears that my radio was bad...
sent back to horizon....all fixed now......

Top Bottom