Boats DX8 for PT-109

cjay4547

I am just finishing a scratch build of a 1/20 scale PT-109 (my first boat) I have a DX8 transmitter and an AR640 receiver. Boat has three motors with reverseable ESC's and four working torpedoes. I want to be able to control throttle with left stick, low to centre reverse, centre to top forewrd with a brake at centre. rudders controlled on right stick and separate fireing of rolloff torpedo's. Not got a clue how to set up the DX8. Help wpould be much appreciated

Attachments

• 20220425_180548 (600).jpg
    20220425_180548 (600).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 3

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there cjay and :welcome1:. I have to say nice job on the build :hdbng:. WOW, you are asking a lot out of the DX8 lol BUT if it can be done someone on this site might be able to help you out. I found this that might help. It's for 2 motors and a different TX but it might shed some light.

cjay4547

Hey there cjay and :welcome1:. I have to say nice job on the build :hdbng:. WOW, you are asking a lot out of the DX8 lol BUT if it can be done someone on this site might be able to help you out. I found this that might help. It's for 2 motors and a different TX but it might shed some light.
Hi D.O.G.
Thank you. I have set up my three motors and ESC's, removed the red wire from all the ESC's as I am using a separate battery for the receiver, got to add some extra supports for the prop shafts as they are vibrating a lot (18 ins long). not sure still how to set left stick to self centre with no throttle at centre spot, got rudders working on channel three, got to try and set up aux switches for releasing torpedo's. Still searching for info.

RandyDSok

Ok... it looks like motor reversing isn't done the way you are wanting, ie the left stick center with no throttle, it's done using a switch instead... so you'll need to adapt your wants some in order to get there from the vid I just watched. First thing, you must have an ESC that supports motor reversing. Some ESC's may need an update to support it IF that is an option on the model ESC you have. The next part, according to the video, is your receiver has to be a smart receiver and also support the function. The next part is to do all of the programming and if needed, firmware updating.

Here is that video... please note this video is for Spectrum brand equipment, other brands may work simularly but you'd need to research it for those brands to know for certain.

Now for a contridiction of sorts... Everything I mentioned is true for the model of parts I refered to ( without directly naming model numbers )... but the following article mentions what is needed if you are programming an arduino to do the reversing and in theory, could be adapted to a radio I think also. You still need an ESC that supports it, but the rest of the instructions cover how to setup a radio ( if it has the supporting programming ) could also support it... and this would put this on the left stick throttle....

Here is that article for what it's worth... Reverse Thrust Setup — Plane documentation

cjay4547

Ok... it looks like motor reversing isn't done the way you are wanting, ie the left stick center with no throttle, it's done using a switch instead... so you'll need to adapt your wants some in order to get there from the vid I just watched. First thing, you must have an ESC that supports motor reversing. Some ESC's may need an update to support it IF that is an option on the model ESC you have. The next part, according to the video, is your receiver has to be a smart receiver and also support the function. The next part is to do all of the programming and if needed, firmware updating.

Here is that video... please note this video is for Spectrum brand equipment, other brands may work simularly but you'd need to research it for those brands to know for certain.

Now for a contridiction of sorts... Everything I mentioned is true for the model of parts I refered to ( without directly naming model numbers )... but the following article mentions what is needed if you are programming an arduino to do the reversing and in theory, could be adapted to a radio I think also. You still need an ESC that supports it, but the rest of the instructions cover how to setup a radio ( if it has the supporting programming ) could also support it... and this would put this on the left stick throttle....

Here is that article for what it's worth... Reverse Thrust Setup — Plane documentation
Thanks RandyDSoc.
Just going out but will investigate later

Top Bottom