Spektrum dx8 customization

wolfman76

Ok ppl here we go here is the back of my dx8...

ForumRunner_20130511_130638.png

It will be painted spastix orange/purple/teal flip paint..

ForumRunner_20130511_130753.png

Here is the front...

ForumRunner_20130511_130846.png

Here is the two colors for the front candy red and a candy blue...

ForumRunner_20130511_131017.png

So what does everyone think there will be a pinstriped solve zigzag between the two colors.. What does everyone think should i go vertical or horizontal with the stripe and colors?? Let me know

ForumRunner_20130511_130638.png

ForumRunner_20130511_130753.png

ForumRunner_20130511_130846.png

ForumRunner_20130511_131017.png

cn63bug

Sounds awesome man. Can't wait to see it done :)

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of thinking vertical myself. Makes it seem like racing stripes.

wolfman76

Kinda what i was thinking plus i thought the silver stripe down center would really set of the 2 colors

Lee

Cool mate, i've been wanting to do that to my DX8 too, but not being up on painting plastics i was unsure how it would work with the chrome finish on the front. Look forward to see yours and maybe gain some help to do mine. I know Tony had success with the DX6I, but this is slightly different.

Tony

Staff member
Lee, doing it with the chrome finish actually makes it easier to lay candy paint! I thought about doing this, but he beat me to it lmao. Can't wait to see this done!

Graham Lawrie

Hi Kyle, With my DX6i not working i was thinking of doing mine. Looking forward to seehow yours turns out and i will take a look at Tony,s video which i watched a long time ago:) Do you prep the TX or is it just straight spray from can onto TX?

Tony

Staff member
You need to clean all parts with a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol to remove any grease and oil that may be on there. If you are doing a solid color, then you need to scuff the surface with some red scotchbrite or some 320 grit sand paper so the paint has something to hold onto.

wolfman76

actually when i did my dx6 i gutted it i took all the electronics out switches and all i did not want to get paint on anything i taped over all the stickers tony removed his but i did not want to accidently ruin any of mine i will be doing the same with the dx8 make sure to label each switch as to return it back to the correct location upon reassembly i just used masking tape and a ink pen to label them... i rolled up a big wad of masking tape ran up through antenna hole so i had something to hang it by during painting and also removed the chrome grab bar on the back of the tx casing i even went as far as to paint the cut off button on the dx6 and also painted the scroll wheel

Hi could u post some pics of the finished product cuz im really interested in doing mine with my airbrush, currently thinking of some pearl purple and candy red and maybe thin one down so its more transparent ghost like and also keep some chrome too incorp all of it cuz i have to take it all apart to do the backlight mod anyway, did u have to buy new grips toput on after or did ur restick back on. I am yhinking of having a few dx7s temporary decals made to spray over onto the tx aswell just like align puts align on there canopy front windshields. Did u need to do any sort of color sanding or clear cote on ur s? Thanks tom

Oh by the way check out hawk-rc on ebay cuz they sell different color anodized switch knobs and colored washers for all tx models there really sweet and if u ask theyll give u a variety of diff colors instead of a bunch of only one

Oh no soorry i was just saying that im going to be opening up my tx to install a backlight mod cuz i have the 7 not 8 so when i do that i can also do the painting thay way its all at once. Tom

Tony

Staff member
Ah, okay. With this thread saying "DX8 Customization", I was thinking you had the 8. Good luck on the 7.

wolfman76

I will post up a video of the process when i start it i am trying to sort out a connection issue i am have between my 500 and the dx8 right now first but as soon a get that taken care of i will be doing a step by step video on the customization from removal of the guts all way to reassembly.. I do have a video up of when i custom painted my dx6 it is not as detailed as i will be with the dx8 but it will give you a general idea.. And as far as re-attaching the rubber grips i would just use scotch double sided tape for that.. Good luck and remember photos and or video so we can see how and what you do.. And what you said and the dx7 ghost stickers under the clearer paint that should look pretty cool i just went to my local print shop that makes vinyls and had some align ones made up for when i paint my canopies just take in a copy of what you want and they should be able to make some up..

Last edited:

wolfman76

i had a thought instead of getting more double sided tape but you can if you want to i was thinking you can put wax paper over the existing double sided tape the mask over that... That way when you are done and ready to start putting the tx back together when you remove the masking off of where the rubber grips go the tape should still be nice and sticky and just re-attach the grips should save lil time also

wolfman76

Ok everyone here is a sneak peek at the new and improved dx8 let me tell you it turned out better then i hoped for but take into consideration it is only the front casing video to follow after it has had a little bit more time to dry before i put it back together and shoot the finished altogether video

ForumRunner_20130608_170355.png

ForumRunner_20130608_170355.png

wolfman76

Didn't do how to video had none to video for me but i did snap allot of photos from when i first started tearing it apart all the way through masking it off. And back to reassembly.. And will post video of it completely reassembled from all angles to get full effect...

Top Bottom