Spektrum DX6i Throttle Hold Settings

loflyby

Howdy,

I watched the whole series of 6 videos Tony produced on the settings of the DX6i, great job. However, can somebody go over a little more in detail on the setting of the Throttle Hold setting. This is what I do:
I follow the set up instruction for my particular Helicopter, go to setup list; Model type, reverse, swash plate so forth and so on, then Adjust List, Thro Curve= Norm, Stunt and when I get to Hold I cannot change the value between different points of the curve, stays in H at 10%, which I'm assuming stands for at 100% of the curve will "Hold" or turn off the helicopter motor by default to 10%. I would like to know if I can set the "Hold" value at different values between different points in the curve, e.g. point in the curve of 25% Hold value of 0% or -5%; point in the curve of 75% Hold value of 5% etc. Even though the settings on my helicopter called for 10% Hold all across I just want to know if my believe is correct or not, or if I'm doing something wrong?
Thank you in advance for any insights and help you can provide.

Best Regards,

loflyby

Tony

Staff member
You should be able to adjust that setting. I highly suggest you set it to 0% across the board in the throttle menu. In the pitch menu, it needs to be a linear curve. I just don't remember any reason why you would not be able to adjust it. You should be able to scroll over to H, click the roller, then select L, 1, 2, 3, 4, and H. H in this case is HIGH.

It's been so long since I touched a DX6i that I'm starting to forget things about it. I upgraded to a DX8 about a year or so ago. Hopefully someone with this Tx (Derek! lol) will come in and inform you of something that I'm not thinking of.

pvolcko

On my dx7s I can select all the points at once and set them the same, at least in heli models. Unable to select individually. Don't know about other model types. Dx9 heli models also can only set as a group. Thought I had to set these individually... Odd.

Also, sometimes a non 0% setting makes sense, such as if auto-rotation recovery is enabled in the esc. Perhaps also if an esc offers throttle position based braking vs free-wheeling power off.

Last edited:

EyeStation

My DX6i is a straight line, adjustable up to 100%. But not able to adjust individual points like the Normal and Stunt positions.

Derek

Yes, unfortunately the DX6i only has a flat line for Throttle Hold. You can set it at only one point. For a helicopter, I believe it's recommended to have it set at 0 because when you flip the Throttle Hold switch, the intent is to "hold" the throttle. This is how a lot of us have our transmitters set up. When you are working on your helicopter, you can flip the Throttle Hold switch and raise your throttle stick and the motor will not spin up, when your Throttle Hold is set to 0. When I take my helicopters out for flying....I'll turn on my transmitter, activate Throttle Hold (set to 0), then plug in my helicopter and I know that the helicopter will not spin up when I checking my stick inputs prior to the flight.

I can't think of a reason why you would want any percentage of throttle entered in the Throttle Hold menu. It's a safety feature. If you need further explanation of how the Throttle Hold works, let us know. I can probably even do a video for you.

loflyby

Thank you Derek I appreciate your input. By reading numerous forums and theory of operation of the DX6i I can say you are absolutely right that the throttle hold function is a flat line, that is, like EyeStation highlights not possible to be adjusted individually like in Normal or Stunt position.
I will argue though that 0% is what is required for all helicopter operation using DX6i. The 10% is called upon my helicopter settings manual with DX6i, plus I found a website with a comprehensive explanation (Mathematical Model Included!!!) why Spektrum deliverately assigned a DSM/DSMX protocol with a value of 10% and not 0%. I don't have the URL in this computer of the website I'm talking about but when I get home I can provide it for anybody interested.

Thank you all for your comments and help.

Cheers,

loflyby

Derek

I would be interested in seeing the URL that you are talking about. I just find it odd that a value of 10% is suggested for Throttle Hold.

pvolcko

Hmmm... So it's a trick Spektrum put on Dx6i transmitters so they'd be more conducive to use with nitro/gas engine helis. Seems odd. That said, if you set it at 0% instead of 10%, it will still work just fine. All it will do is send an even lower raw value through the Rx and into the ESC (or sim), which is perfectly fine.

Tony

Staff member
I had to try this on my DX8 and sure enough, you can only select all of them at once. I never knew this lmao. Learn something new every day.

Top Bottom