Spektrum DX6i question

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm using Dx6i TX and I'm starting to developed a problem with the push roller that is used to scroll the TX. I would like to know if this part on the TX can be replaced? Where can i purchase this part if i can or is it time for a new TX?

Tony

Staff member
Yes you can replace the roller board. But take the case apart first and see of just the roller is broke. And also pick up some electronics cleaner and clean that board completely. If you have to replace it, you can usually find them on ebay.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yes you can replace the roller board. But take the case apart first and see of just the roller is broke. And also pick up some electronics cleaner and clean that board completely. If you have to replace it, you can usually find them on ebay.

Thank you Tony. I will go your route and take apart TX and clean it. I haven't taken a TX apart before so this will be different. I do have Electrical cleaner and some idea what I'm doing, i think. Thanks again for your help!

Derek

I had the same issue with my DX6i. A couple of years ago, I mentioned this on the forum and Tony suggested that I buy some of that electronics cleaner. It helped temporarily. The switch for the roller was still faulty. I spoke with someone at Horizon Hobby and they said that I could ship my tx to them and they could fix it. I'd pay for the new part plus $30/hour labor with a minimum of 30 minutes of labor. Then I'd have to pay the shipping back to me.

The way I saw it, it just wasn't worth it. I asked if they could just send me the part. It never did show up. I ended up just buying a used DX6i and I've kept my faulty one for spare parts.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I had the same issue with my DX6i. A couple of years ago, I mentioned this on the forum and Tony suggested that I buy some of that electronics cleaner. It helped temporarily. The switch for the roller was still faulty. I spoke with someone at Horizon Hobby and they said that I could ship my tx to them and they could fix it. I'd pay for the new part plus $30/hour labor with a minimum of 30 minutes of labor. Then I'd have to pay the shipping back to me.

The way I saw it, it just wasn't worth it. I asked if they could just send me the part. It never did show up. I ended up just buying a used DX6i and I've kept my faulty one for spare parts.
Hey Derek. That makes sense. My Tx is already 3 yrs old. Something to think about. I'm still going to try the cleaner, like Tony said, this evening and take it from their. Maybe i can buy me some more time til I'm ready for a new one. Thanks!

EyeStation

And remember, each end of the roller has its function. Don't try to push the center of the roller to actuate. I forget which end, I believe the bottom end has the selector switch under it. Scrolling is done by a simple rotary contact that is actuated through a plastic hex end of the top of the roller.
I had the misfortune of breaking that hex key off the top of the roller by pushing the center of the roller all the time.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
And remember, each end of the roller has its function. Don't try to push the center of the roller to actuate. I forget which end, I believe the bottom end has the selector switch under it. Scrolling is done by a simple rotary contact that is actuated through a plastic hex end of the top of the roller.
I had the misfortune of breaking that hex key off the top of the roller by pushing the center of the roller all the time.
Thank you EyeStation for that information. Well appreciated!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I would like to say thank you to everyone for their advice. My TX is working again! For how long, i don't know but i can buy some time to save up for a new TX. The electrical cleaner plus my compressor blowing out garbage seems to work.

Tony

Staff member
Eyestation, it's actually reverse from what you posted. The button is on the top and the roller is on the bottom. You should only push on the very top of the roller when selecting. Pushing in the middle or bottom can cause the switch to break.

DOG, that is great news. While it's working, maybe look at some different options on a new, better Tx for the future of this hobby. As Derek stated, this could be a very temporary fix. And no, Horizon will not ship out parts to Tx's. Not sure why, I guess it's a way for them to make more money...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Eyestation, it's actually reverse from what you posted. The button is on the top and the roller is on the bottom. You should only push on the very top of the roller when selecting. Pushing in the middle or bottom can cause the switch to break.

DOG, that is great news. While it's working, maybe look at some different options on a new, better Tx for the future of this hobby. As Derek stated, this could be a very temporary fix. And no, Horizon will not ship out parts to Tx's. Not sure why, I guess it's a way for them to make more money...

I had a feeling this is a temporary fix but I'm glad for the time being. It's all about the money, in this hobby or any. A new TX is in the future real soon, probably soon. I was looking at the DX7. The number of birds that i will own down the road, will probably be none. For the time being anyway. I need to improve on my skills first before i move on up. My Gaui x3 and Tarot 450 DFC is plenty for me to learn with. So I'm thinking about just buying another DX6i for another 3 yrs. If it last that long or save up for the DX7? I diffidently can use some input on this. I'm using AR7200BX on both birds and i don't see my self switching RX down the road since the combination works fine for me. Thanks ahead everyone!

Tony

Staff member
The new DX7 is supposed to be really good. IMO, I would save up that $130 for the new DX6i and put it towards the DX7. You will love the difference in feel. I myself, loved my DX8 and the DX9 is even better.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The new DX7 is supposed to be really good. IMO, I would save up that $130 for the new DX6i and put it towards the DX7. You will love the difference in feel. I myself, loved my DX8 and the DX9 is even better.
Thank you Tony I'm going to take your advice and put the money toward the DX8 for $249. I want something different. The DX6i that i have has no light in the inside. scroll roller going,age and who no's whats next? Thank you again Tony.

Tony

Staff member
Do yourself a favor and get the DX6, DX7 or DX9. I suggest the DX7. It has the newest tech in it, can hold up to 250 models and has a wireless trainer function. They are better than the DX8 which is getting way out dated now. But, I understand the money issue as well.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Do yourself a favor and get the DX6, DX7 or DX9. I suggest the DX7. It has the newest tech in it, can hold up to 250 models and has a wireless trainer function. They are better than the DX8 which is getting way out dated now. But, I understand the money issue as well.

I will go with the DX7 then. See, i had no idea that the DX8 is out dated. I got the A OK from the wife to get a TX for my early B day! That's cool. I'm going to do some shopping around but i can always use outside advice to get some ideas. DX7 has my vote so far. I don't want to get carry away like a JR radio. I can't afford the gas! LOL

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Tony, are you talking about the new DX6 "BLK edition-7600" I like that for $179 and the DX7s "SPM7800" for $249 I like that also but the DX7 for $349 is to much for what i need it for. Any comments will be appreciated. DX7s looks good but doesn't arrive till the end of April. I can always get the DX6i ? Help!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tony, are you talking about the new DX6 "BLK edition-7600" I like that for $179 and the DX7s "SPM7800" for $249 I like that also but the DX7 for $349 is to much for what i need it for. Any comments will be appreciated. DX7s looks good but doesn't arrive till the end of April. I can always get the DX6i ? Help!

Sorry about that. I'm basing my prices using A Main Hobbie site. I probably order from them.

Kenny G

Hi guys, don't know if this is to late or not this place has metal replacement parts for different radios rollers for DX6i and trim tabs and PDF instructions for installation on each one check this web site: eastrc.org there in North Carolina Hope this works! Does not like like it would be hard to do you're self.

Tony

Staff member
Ran out of time on that last post. If you have the money for the dx8, get that over the dx6. The dx8 is still a great tx and I would still have mine of it wasn't for having to sell it for money.

Derek

I love my DX8...no doubt!!! The scroll wheel is so much better than that of the DX6i. My flying buddy has the DX6. The scroll wheel is better than the DX6i, also, but I think my DX8 is still smoother than his DX6.

Kenny G

They also carry ERC Menu Button Replacement/Upgrade for DX6i, DX7s, DX3S, DX3C, x9303, x9503, DX8, DX18, and also Jr. $14.99 plus shipping

Top Bottom