DX6i Noob Help

holiday

I've never flown RC. Thought it would be fun. Bought DX6i and Blade MCX on e-bay. No instructions included. Attempted to follow RCHelp tutorial on the set-up steps. Installed new AA batteries. Power switch to the on position.
Beep/Beep/Beep/Beep.....
Screen flashes:
*-*-*-F.Mode-*-*-*
*-*-*-T.Mode-*-*-*
Beep/Beep/Beep/Beep...
Scroll wheel does not respond to any commands?
I'm certain that this topic has already been addressed somewhere on this forum. I appreciate any directions offered.
Thanks

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Make sure your toggle switches at the top and back are in the 0 position and the trainer switch is down, or you will get error messages like you have been. Also make sure the collective stick (left) is in the down position also. Hope this helps.

holiday

Excellent!!! Thanks for the speedy response. Set all switches to 0. All seems fine now. No Beeps/No error code. Now I'll go back to the set-up video. Thanks again.

Tony

Staff member
Those are safety features built into the Tx. You should always turn on the Tx first then the heli. If your F-Mode (idle up) switch is on and you turn on that heli, it will go full throttle and crash possibly injuring someone. The T-Mode is Throttle Hold. Even though you should have this set at 0 all the way across, the radio thinks you may be flying a nitro and use hold to hold an idle, so it will give you a warning. The DX7s and DX8 will do the same thing as well.

I'm glad you got it all figured out. Starting out with the MCX is the best way to start. Your next heli should be the mSR-X and once you master that one, it's time to move up to the mCP-X and get into CCPM heli's. Good luck and let us know if you need any help.

holiday

Thanks guys, I appreciate the "hand holding". None of the vids I've watched, start from scratch. Your comments are welcome. I'm awaiting a reply from Spektrum, to determine which set of instructions I should download from their web site for this unit.
Perhaps you know? Other than Mode one or two, are there any other differences in the DX6i that would not allow me to use any of the DX6i instructions?

Tony

Staff member
I'm not usually much on sending people to other sites, but Spektrum has done all the work for me on this one. Check out the link below on how to setup your mcx and get it into the air.

As for mode 1 and mode 2, that is in basic terms where the throttle and elevator are located on the sticks. In the USA, we use mode 2, but if you happen to be an aussie, they use mode 1.

Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

holiday

AMA Member? Motorcycles?
Again, to you all, thanks for the guidance and hand holding. This will speed up my learning curve.

Tony

Staff member
AMA Member? Motorcycles?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that...

Being an AMA member will give you insurance just incase something happens. Like you hit someone or something with a plane or heli, you are covered with insurance. Check out their website for more info. As for the motorcycles, I have no clue what you mean.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Tony

Staff member
The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) is $58 a year. And there is no pro-rated amount unfortunately.

holiday

Tony, I followed your excellent 3 part video series on setting up the DX6i for the Blade. I would never been able to suffer through the owners manual. Now I am flying my MCX's with the Spektrum. My "birds" are so much more controllable than with the RTF piece. Thanks!
I only have one challenge. I've gone back and reviewed vid 2 checking my entries, to discover what I did to have the elevator reversed. To fly forward I must pull the stick all the way back, to get any forward movement. Pushing forward on the stick, the MCX flies faster in reverse. What have I done incorrectly?

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like you just need to go into your reverse menu and reverse the elevator. Once that is done, if it's still not going very fast, then go into the travel adjustment and raise the elevator travel. That should get you fixed up. Just remember though, on a coax, if you jar it around too much, it will go into what's called the "toilet bowl effect" and will crash. Let me know if you get it reversed.

holiday

I accessed the reverse menu. Changed the elevator to R (from N). In Travel Adj, I increased ELEV to 125%. I have 3 Blades. Two mCX's and one 300. They all respond the same to the DX6i input. The elevator was in fact reversed and, with your direction, was able to return the control to forward motion. However, all 3 "birds" @ 125% became more sluggish than when I had it set at 100? Shall I lower the elevator travel below 100?
I have only experienced the "toilet bowl effect" on low battery. The Blades loose altitude and then go into terminal spin regardless of opposing inputs.

Tony

Staff member
You can play with the travel settings and see what it does. I'm glad you got it working though.

Top Bottom