Spektrum DX6i Faulty

Graham Lawrie

I have read loads of issues with the DX6i over the last wee while:( Tonight one of them happened to me:( My warranty ran out in March and prior to that i had a problem with a toggle switch. When i phoned Horizon they were very helpful and over keen to supply the switch and similarly keen that i fit it myself. I can only assume that they expect a lot of people in this hobby are capable of soldering and electric repairs.
At the same time the roller selector had been sticking and not changing , but only once every 1000 clicks or so , so i was not concerened.

Tonight while checking my pitch on my 600 the roller switch packed in and is only making the irritating beeping:(

I stripped it down and have seen that the swap for a new part will be easy enough:) and now i think i will pimp my TX:)

Derek

I had the same troubles with my DX6i, with the roller selector. Actually, it's still a bit "fouled" up and Horizon Hobby told me that I'd have to send my Tx to them and have them replace it at $30/hour plus parts and shipping. Ugh!

Tony

Staff member
If you know electronics, you can take the roller out and clean the contacts on it. Just use a Q-Tip and some alcohol. Worked for me anyway.

Graham Lawrie

If you know electronics, you can take the roller out and clean the contacts on it. Just use a Q-Tip and some alcohol. Worked for me anyway.

I could give that a go:) I stripped the switch out and it did smell a bit, you know that all too familiar electrical burning smell:( One of the tracks in the circuit looked as if it had white powder on it? looked like the join had dried out? Similar to car battery terminal deposits you see from time to time?

Tony

Staff member
Oh, that's not good. However, the inside of the DX6i has that smell from day one and I'm not sure why. I would try cleaning it and seeing what you can do. Can't exactly lose anything since it's not working now. Just make sure to unplug the roller board from the main board before you do so.

Graham Lawrie

UPDATE: After an email reply due to work commitments, I got a poor reply so I called from work. Very simply they have no partss in stock to send me so I am removing the roller and board (small part) and sending it to be repaired.

Poor service I think?

It is making me think twice about when I upgrade to look at an alternative to the DX8.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
UPDATE: After an email reply due to work commitments, I got a poor reply so I called from work. Very simply they have no partss in stock to send me so I am removing the roller and board (small part) and sending it to be repaired.

Poor service I think?

It is making me think twice about when I upgrade to look at an alternative to the DX8.

Graham, I will point this out. Most problems with the scroll wheel on a dx6 come from the fact that most people don't know how to properly use the wheel. That is untill they have problems with it. You have to scroll using the bottem of the wheel. You select by pressing the top! Any other combination will ruin the wheel. It's in the spectrum users manual. So I wouldn't be to quick to blame spectrum on this. take a good look at how you use you tx and you probubly will find out that your selecting by pressing anywhere on the wheel and scrolling the same way.

Lee

The switch is under the top of the wheel, so as Sam says, frequent pressing of the roller near the bottom will break it. You can buy a new metal roller to replace it. This will never break.

Lee

Scroll Wheel Repair
for Dx6i Dx7s Dx8

2 of my DX6i failed due to Roller scroll wheel.
the cause is a failed Push Button Switch under the roller.
When the Push Button switch starts to go bad I got really heavy handed when programing the DX6i.
This nukes the roller and kills off the switch.
The switch is a easy pull and desoder job.

Roller fix:
Cut off the broken roller's Allen wrench end.
Drill a small hole at that same location.
Cut and install a steel allen wrench (1/8").
Glue in place.

Important Important Important

Prior to the glue setting install the roller and the roller circuit board.
Let the glue set with the roller installed.
Remove the assembly pull the roller out and tape the Allen wrench to make it a tight fit.

Enjoy!!!

Graham Lawrie

Graham, I will point this out. Most problems with the scroll wheel on a dx6 come from the fact that most people don't know how to properly use the wheel. That is untill they have problems with it. You have to scroll using the bottem of the wheel. You select by pressing the top! Any other combination will ruin the wheel. It's in the spectrum users manual. So I wouldn't be to quick to blame spectrum on this. take a good look at how you use you tx and you probubly will find out that your selecting by pressing anywhere on the wheel and scrolling the same way.

Sam, fair comment, but I am an engineer to trade and more than capable of reading an instruction manual. I was well aware of how to use the Tx scroll function and where to press as I researched before I bought. It would appear this is a common failure with the DX6I

- - - Updated - - -

Lee the roller has not failed.I stripped it out it is complete. At the top of the roller where you press to select there is a wear ring mark all the way round where the switch is pressed by the roller. It shows even wear. I tried pressing the swich on its own when stripped and nothing happened which to me indicates switch failure?

- - - Updated - - -

Scroll Wheel Repair
for Dx6i Dx7s Dx8

2 of my DX6i failed due to Roller scroll wheel.
the cause is a failed Push Button Switch under the roller.
When the Push Button switch starts to go bad I got really heavy handed when programing the DX6i.
This nukes the roller and kills off the switch.
The switch is a easy pull and desoder job.

Roller fix:
Cut off the broken roller's Allen wrench end.
Drill a small hole at that same location.
Cut and install a steel allen wrench (1/8").
Glue in place.

Important Important Important

Prior to the glue setting install the roller and the roller circuit board.
Let the glue set with the roller installed.
Remove the assembly pull the roller out and tape the Allen wrench to make it a tight fit.

Enjoy!!!
Lee mine just un plugs from the main board as a separate unit? Roller and mini control board.

Lee

Well i hope you get it soon, so we can fly together online, and you can get the beast of a 600 up in the air again :D

Tony

Staff member
So the button is bad, not the pot? And this whole time I thought it was the pot. lol.

The quality of the electronics on the DX8 is far better than that of the DX6i. The 6i is an entry level Tx with entry level electronics. I love my DX8, and if it wasn't for the forum, I would not be looking at other Tx. Love my DX8, so does Lee, and Matt, and everyone else that has one lmao. There are a lot of them on this forum!

Derek

Yeah, I have the DX6i and I just bought the DX8 a few weeks ago. It was my inexperience that caused me to have troubles with the scroll wheel on the DX6i. It still functions just fine, but it just takes me longer to get the settings changed on it. Now, the DX8...just taking it out of the box, I knew I was gonna be happy with it. I love the rubber grips on the back and sides...the 3 positions switches...more programmable mixes...and the scroll wheel just feels SO much more durable and solid. I love the DX8 and I'm sure that I haven't even used it to its fullest potential. I did buy the buddy cable for the Spektrum tx's and I plan to teach my wife and nephew's how to fly.

I have the DX8 and I love it!!
I do have a switch issue with it currently that I was hoping to look at last week, but forgot to take it with me. I also suspect the switch issue is my issue and not an issue with the radio itself.
Very good radio and no problems with it!
Don't give up on Spektrum, at my local club all but two people are running with spektrum radios. Most have the 6 a few have the 7 and the rest have the 8. All of them swear by them.

Graham Lawrie

Thanks for all the input:) I guess I just expected a " no problem sir we will send a new part" response from such a big firm and not "we have no spares you will need to send the part for repair". I cant afford a DX8 so it is frustrating being without :(

Tony

Staff member
That is the way it's always been with spektrum Tx's. They will send you a switch, but not the roller. I'm pretty sure they want to see if there is damage caused by the user. If there is no damage, and it's under warranty, most times they just replace it and send it back. If there is user caused damage (pushing the bottom), then they charge you for labor and the part. Just my thoughts, not 100% sure though.

Graham Lawrie

Well I am eating humble pie:) I sent my switch to Horizon on Thursday and it is back Saturday repaired, faulty switch. Phoenix here I come:)

Tony

Staff member
woot! I will try to get on some day during my vacation. Glad is was something simple.

Top Bottom