Spektrum dx6i fault after fitting new back light

tricky1400

hi last year I fitted a new backlight to my dx6i , after fitting it I obviously checked the backlight worked but at the time I didn't fly either of my helis used on that radio .

over the weekend thought I would have a go and when I tried to use the cyclic switch ( mode 2 right hand thumb pushing back and forward ) nothing happened , tried it on the second heli and again no servo movement .

the left and right movement is ok , everything works there and with the other stick throttle and rudder work ok , its just the cyclic not working

is it coincidence that this suddenly packed up when I fitted the backlight ?

I have unplugged two of the wires to the motor to try and find the fault without the blades turning ( don't think this makes any difference ) and taken the back off of the radio to see if there are any wires not plugged in but all looks ok .

could I unplug the cyclic block from the board and swap it over somewhere not sure which one to try to see if its the switch or the wiring / wiring block ? by using the other stick to do the cyclic or use the same stick to do the cyclic but have it working when I move the stick right to left ?
( then obviously change it back when I have identified the fault )

thanks for any help

I don't have any multimeters etc to test for electrical problems

not sure if I could buy internal spares for the radio in the UK ?

thanks

Tony

Staff member
This is the reason I quit selling the back light kit. Way too many Tx's being bricked because of it.

If this is only happening on your elevator though, then you may have had a pot go bad on that one channel, or you may have pulled the wire just enough to break the wire inside the casing. Turn the Tx on and go into your monitor menu and see if the elevator channel is moving in there. If it is, then this is a radio issue. If it's not, then you need to get a volt meter with ohm capabilities and check that pot.

As for replacements, I will let someone from over there answer that.

Graham Lawrie

Not sure about all spares, but certainly everything I have required I have got from them, with the exception of the ariel, I got from eBay:)

tricky1400

This is the reason I quit selling the back light kit. Way too many Tx's being bricked because of it.

If this is only happening on your elevator though, then you may have had a pot go bad on that one channel, or you may have pulled the wire just enough to break the wire inside the casing. Turn the Tx on and go into your monitor menu and see if the elevator channel is moving in there. If it is, then this is a radio issue. If it's not, then you need to get a volt meter with ohm capabilities and check that pot.

As for replacements, I will let someone from over there answer that.

Tony thank you

I tried the monitor test and there was no movement on that channel

so I swapped the wiring plug for the right switch and plugged it into the plug for the left switch ( throttle and rudder as I am mode 2 )

everything worked then on that switch so I thought the pot is the problem

I had a quick look on ebay and the web but couldn't find anything similar to the pot so I went on youtube to learn about them and

noticed that some people cleaned them and they worked again so with nothing to lose I bent the tabs back and looked inside the pot.

didn't really see anything bad or broken but cleaned it up a bit and put it all back together again , did the monitor test and it worked !!

I have now tried a test flight / hover and everything seems ok , I have learned a few more things today about what helps make my
heli fly and at the moment its working ok

thanks again Tony for your help and hope the weather over there is better than here , strong winds and raining all day !

Tony

Staff member
Cleaning the pot was the next suggestion I was going to offer after the monitor test. I'm glad that it works out for you and you are back in the air. It's always good when you don't have to replace anything lol.

Top Bottom