General DX6i and Titan Raptor 50

Heli 66

I have watched Tonys Vids and my question is, are there certains settings for the DX6i radio for each particular Heli? I have a Titan Raptor 50 and a DX6i. I am very new to Helis and i just want it set up right for when the day comes to take to the air (not for awile yet) I can't seem to get any help from other Forums that i have visited, If someone could help me out with this i would be very grateful. Thanks in advance

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Gaba, I told him to post here because you have the same (or similar) helicopter that you can use to get him some settings from your Tx, and from the heli. Post up your settings and what he should do first to get this bird in the air when he is ready.

Tony

Staff member
Good deal, I sent him a text letting him know about the thread. Hope you get the info soon. I need to get me one of these so I know what is going on with them lmao. Or, Gaba just needs to "donate" his to me so I can learn hahahaha. Yeah, fat chance of that happening lmao.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hello here is gaba!!!

What all this ruckus about getting my helis donated. Lol NOPE!!!

Hello heli66!!

Yes every heli will have a different setting. Can I ask what is your setup (engine and electronics wise) , and then of possible to tell me if it's the mechanically mixed or ccpm?

Raptor 50 is a very good bird by the way! They are one of the oldest models that have survived with newer updates coming in on every next edition. They are pretty dependable and cheaper compared to align to maintain. So, good choice!

:)

I will help you out with the setup of your heli and tx.. I have a kinetic 50... (mechanical mixed) and one vibe 50 (ccpm) both running on os-50 hypers.

Let me know sir!

Good to have you around!

Heli 66

mechanically mixed or ccpm? Sorry i don't know what that is, still learning
Engine is a OS 50sx ( 3)FUTM0311 S3152 Servo Digital Standard Hi-Torque, (1)DS821 Sport Hi-Torque Digital Servo by Spektrum (trottle) 1)Futaba S9254 Tail Servo FUTM0224 Futaba GY 401 gyro AR 7000 rx

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey! :) Can I ask for the exact model for the raptor.. if possible a link to the website of a seller... I'll figure it out if its mechanical mix or ccpm. :)
''OS-50 SX H is the OS 50 hyper.. ITS AWESOME!! the 3152 servos are what i have on my kinetic too.... gy401 is awesome.. trusty gyro.. and 9254 cant be beat... 7200 rx seems a bit wrong.. Are you sure it'll work with your dx6i? dx6i is max of 6 channels.. and 7200 has 7.. It didnt work for me. but make sure man..

As far as settings are concerned.. I can help you set it up. Have you installed everything on the heli yet? Is it ready to go as mechanical nuts and bolts are concerned.. I am guessing you need help with settings up the pitches, pitch curves and throttle curves. I have a dx6i too.. I can definitely walk you through the settings.. I would really like to know what exact bird I am dealing with.. there are multiple models of raptor 50's.. even if you can post a pic of it, and how the swash connects to the servos, how are the servos placed, and what all that looks like, I will be able to figure it out, and I can give you settings then.. :)

After we get this all setup in the radio.. Next we will be settings up 1/8th inch opening on your carb on that os-50 sx-h. That'll help you get into the ball park of an idling engine. :)

Gaba

Heli 66

001.jpg001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg010.jpg008.jpgThe Rx is a ar7000 allthough i do have ar6100 It is already setup except for swash, i had to order a new one. Thunder Tiger titan Raptor 50 3d heli. That is what is says on the manual If you go here Thunder Tiger CORP. and look for item #4853-k there is a manual and a couple of pic you can look at. When i did the binding everything seems to work correctly.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

001.jpg

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Perfect the pics you posted were all I needed. It is a mechanical mixed heli. Good .. So now what settings you'll need.

Yes you will need that 6100 or 6200 any 6 series (highly recommend one with a satellite like the ar6200...) the 7 channel wont work with your dx6i.

Now, I would suggest investing in one more peice of equipment... --- governor...

With a 6ch tx, a few great ones work. My preference is multigov pro or multigov... Love them! And they are good to have.. BUT until you are just starting out hovering, you can very easily get away with not having one, and not have any side effects at all. Once you move on though. Get that governor with a programming LCD.

Settings:

Setup menu setup your swash type to 90degrees

Set your throttle curve to

0-30-60-75-100 normal mode
100-75-60-75-100 stunt
0000000000 throttle hold (for now-- until we set the carb)

Pitch curve
40-45-50-75-100 normal
0-25-50-75-100 stunt
0-25-50-75-100 hold or
30-45-50-75-100 hold(for autos)

Now the servo reverse menu in the setup list:

Check your ailerons if moving the stick on tx right move swash right and left goes left looking from the tail side

If not reverse that channel.
Same thing for elevator.

Pitch: moving Throttle stick up should rise the swash up.. And down should bring the swash down, of not reverse that servo.

Throttle: engine runs full throttle when the carb horn is all the way anti clockwise .. Closes going clockwise. So throttle going up should make it turn anticlockwise, and down clockwise.. Of not reverse that.

Rudder: moving stick right, tail pitch slider goes left, and vice versa.. See if that needs reversal...

For making setup a breeze I personally setup my pitch curve temporarily to

0-50-50-50-100 (used when setting subtrim , swash level and pitches) Cause as you saw in tony's videos you need to be at 50percent stick position. I highly recommend using this setting when setting up (cause of not according to values I gave you, center stick won't be 50 percent pitch)

Next is subtrims on the servos..

Move stick to half throttle.. Now check If the servos horns are perfectly 90 degrees to the servo body... If not, use subtrim menu in setup list to change those and get them to center perfectly (90degree horns to the servo body)

if you need me to tell you which servo is which one let me know I'll tell you that from the pics.

Do this and then get back with the results to start with. :) there's a bunch more to do still . :)

You'll get it though. It's fun! And so easy once you go through it all the way. :)

Last edited:

Heli 66

Please don't take this the wrong way as i don't mean any disrespect and i'm Not trying to Question your experience but according to the ar7000 user guide it is compatable with the DX6i, it is not compatible with the DX6.. i just didn't want to have to get a new RX unless i absoulutly had to. Throttle servo and the one above wont ajust with sub trim all others are fine

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ohh no man... i definitely dont get offended or take things to heart... I checked up on it, and yes ar7000 is compatible.. good work catching that... i learnt somehing new... :) :) its all about learning :)

also.. the good thing about this stuff is that all this either works or it doesnt its not like if its not compatible then it will work one day and mid flight give you issues. If it wont make the servos work now.. it wont ever. I tested the 7200 i think.. may be i didnt check thoroughly enough, and mine didnt work..

but good to know the 7000 works.. It is perfect.. its a VERY VERY good reciever. All there will be-- you will only be able to utilize the six channels you have connected there. not the seventh one. its just not gonna respond.. just one less 80 dollars you have to spend.. I am all about saving man! :D

also one thing I would recommend.. even if the raptor came permanently fit in that scale fuselage... then i mean you might not be able to do a lot.. but if you can remove it from that fuse, i recommend doing so, and flying it as a basic pod and boom setup.. then once used to it, you can put that fuselage on.. You can opt not to do it too.. but here is my reasoning to it.. : fuselages for that size heli run a bit expensive, and especially if that fuselage has been fit perfectly to the raptor, that thing is beautiful and I mean if I were you I would hate to see it go down and crash and break.. Fuselages are an expensive and tedious upgrade..

Again, this is my reading to it.. you can totally opt to fly the raptor with the fuselage on, would be fine. :)

Tony

Staff member
That's not always true Gaba. Look at the Old DSM2 Rx's with the new DSMX DX8, there are intermittent issues with those.

Heli 66

Just put in all of those settings and everything checks out,all servos are working,just a little fine tuning with sub trim I'm glad i did not offend you. As far as the reciever goes, its gonna be a long time before i fly so it gives me time to save money for one i can rely on govonor also. Just checked and Throttle servo and the one above wont ajust with sub trim all others are fine

Last edited:

Lee

@ Gaba. Stunt throttle curve, you put 0,85,80,85,100. It should be 100,85,80,85,100 unless i'm missing some nitro specific setting. :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Lee was right heli66 my bad.. I changed the throttle curve of the idle up totally. This setting is for no governor. When you have a governor then curves change again.

Why does the throttle servo not move by subtrim.. is it because you are in throttle hold by chance? One above it? Which servo is that can you tell.. ? I am gonna download the manual here..

On your engine , does 50 percent throttle on your tx (which would be a little lower than mid stick, if you look at the monitor in your tx it'll show) put you at the 50 percent throttle mark on the carb? Does maximum throttle take it perfectly all the way to max with no servo bind and zero throttle is exactly aligned with the carb marking (throttle trims all the low at this moment)

If this is confusing you right now, do this... put throttle curve on normal back to 0-25-50-100 (temporarily) so you have 50 percent throttle on mid stick on your TX.. then set your throttle lnkage.

Rule of thumb on throttle: to have a linear throttle response on the engine: The travel adjustment menu on your tx for throttle servo equal percentages of travel so when you move the stick all the way up it should show 100percent (or 90 or 80 if the servo binds). and when you bring the stick down, the travel percentage should be the exact same value (100 or 90 or 80).. if its not, make mechanical adjustments on the linkage going to your carb to make those values equal or close between 1-2percent.

my century runs on 100-100.. but my vibe engine runs on 80-80.

lets get to this point, and then next comes swash leveling.. ( I dont use any swash levellers.. while they are handy tools) , i just eyeball it..

let me know how all this goes.. I am willing to explain anything again if anything i said above makes you more confused, so please feel free to ask as many questions as possible, that helps me explain too.. no question except for the one not asked is a stupid question.. :)

Gaba

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That servo above the throttle is the pitch servo.. make sure you are out of throttle hold, and your graphs are either linear (0-25-50-75-100) or like i like it (0-50-50-50-100) ONLY for setup. :) I just got a manual of raptor 50 sev2. similar frame structure..

let me know how this goes.

another thing to add: This is basic info. but just to throw it out there, there are servos that have push pull arrangement .. make sure that the two lengths are exactly the same regardless of what, for a perfect setup. :)

Heli 66

OK, I think i got it. Low stick lines up with first carb mark perfect, Mid stick lines up with 3rd carb mark perfect,Full stick lines up with last carb mark perfect. The only thing i see wrong is that the throtle servo horn is not quite 90 degrees,do i need to adjust the turnbuckle?

Tony

Staff member
As long as you are getting the correct throw out of the carb, you should be fine. Otherwise you will have to go through all of this setup again. On the swash and tail, you need that perfect 90 degree to the link because you are passing the center point of the servo arm travel. The further you get away from the center point, the less linkage travel vs servo travel.

Heli 66

All other ones are 90 degrees and i triple checked thro and all mark are lining up with stick position. I sure appreciate you guys helping me out so much, That OTHER forum seems to be more for Experienced flyers rather than newcomers wanting to learn, Thanks again. Whats Next????

Tony

Staff member
As stated before, I created this forum for the person that needs to ask the questions that we have all asked. I don't care if the person is 10 or 100, they can come here and ask anything they want and will not be talked down to. It's taken a little over a year to get to this point, but we are now at the point where if anyone has a question, more than likely there is someone on here that knows the answer. When I first got into the hobby a few years ago, I was asking the same thing most everyone else was asking. I went to the big forums and was called everything from an idiot to stupid because I asked the same questions that every other new guy has asked. On a forum that size, there is no way a new guy can find the info he is looking for. So when I was fed up with it all, I created this site and started uploading videos. And the rest is history.

Top Bottom