Spektrum DX and Throttle Hold

dazacx2

Hello,
I always have my throttle hold off when powering up my heli because the dx6i had a little glitch that as soon as you had power on and were ready to fly, when you took off Throttle hold it starting spooling straight away, it was like the throttle hold was in reverse.

Sorry after all that useless information i will ask my question now..

Can i leave throttle hold on when switching on tx and leave it on then power up Heli and flick of and fly as normal without any glitches.
I ask this as i see you talk about reversing the warning when switching on the tx in your set up video on IKon Gyro.

Daza

Smoggie

This is a glitch specific to the DX6i. If I recall correctly the 'fix' is to set throttle hold to +10% 'flat line throttle curve' rather than zero%.

You might have to re-calibrate the throttle range after making the change.

dazacx2

Sorry should have said i have a dx9 now and what to know, is it better to have throttle hold on then power up heli?

trainrider06

The heli should initialize just fine W/TH on.
I run governor on half of my heli's and it works just fine that way.

I have a DX9 and set my normal IU to 0%, and I take off and land in IU1. Basically it's a failsafe on top of a failsafe. I don't have to worry about throttle hold when I initialize.

Sticks lowest
IU to Normal position (Remember I have a 0% throttle curve set)
No throttle hold
Power on TX
Make sure the correct model is selected

Power on Heli
Wait for initialization
Put throttle hold on
Check swash movements
Place heli in desired lift off area
Flip to IU1
Move collective stick to mid position (blades at 0 degrees)
When I'm ready to spool up, flip off Throttle hold and it spools up.

When I land I stay in IU1 and flip throttle hold
Unplug heli
Power off TX

IF you configure this way it's VERY important to make sure you take off at mid-stick, if you flip throttle hold off with the collective the lowest position it will spool up at -12 degree pitch.

Last edited:

dazacx2

I have a DX9 and set my normal IU to 0%, and I take off and land in IU1. Basically it's a failsafe on top of a failsafe. I don't have to worry about throttle hold when I initialize.

Sticks lowest
IU to Normal position (Remember I have a 0% throttle curve set)
No throttle hold
Power on TX
Make sure the correct model is selected

Power on Heli
Wait for initialization
Put throttle hold on
Check swash movements
Place heli in desired lift off area
Flip to IU1
Move collective stick to mid position (blades at 0 degrees)
When I'm ready to spool up, flip off Throttle hold and it spools up.

When I land I stay in IU1 and flip throttle hold
Unplug heli
Power off TX

IF you configure this way it's VERY important to make sure you take off at mid-stick, if you flip throttle hold off with the collective the lowest position it will spool up at -12 degree pitch.

wow ok that could be dangerous when taken of throttle hold wrong position unless you had real slow spool up

wow ok that could be dangerous when taken of throttle hold wrong position unless you had real slow spool up
I used to think the same thing but some of the local guys showed me it and it's how all of my helis are setup. Really I could initialize and power up in normal mode and move my throttle stick and nothing would happen, so in essence it's the same as throttle hold. I don't use linear curves anymore so no need to normal mode.

All of my helis also have a very soft start

Smoggie

I dont have 0% throttle on any of my flight modes (except throttle hold), far too great a risk of accidentally selecting that flight mode when you are flying and finding yourself in an emergency auto! If you wanted a failsafe throttle kill then it's easy to set a mix from some out of the way switch that sets throttle to zero. That switch can then give you the second layer of protection from accidental spoolup and if you pick the right switch chances of accidental activation in flight are minimal.

Alternatively with Castle ESC's and some others the ESC's is powering up with throttle hold off in your normal idle up flight mode (i.e. throttle at some non zero value). The ESC wont initialise unless it sees a closed throttle, so the heli is perfectly safe. The only way to start the motor is to activate throttle hold, wait for the initialisation beeps, then release throttle hold to spool up, pretty much impossible to do that accidentally.

Personally in most cases I dont bother with that. i just use throttle hold and I'm careful with how I handle the Tx to avoid knocking the switch.

Top Bottom