dumb thumbed it!!!

danhampson

This is one of the lost posts from the forum change.

I was practicing slow inverted piros and dumb thumbed it pushed collective to gain altitude (should have pulled). She went in under with lots of collective and no throttle hold.

Damage is:
Carbon frame
Frame plastic parts
Boom
Main, feathering and tail shafts
Main and tail blades
Canopy
Canopy mounts
A swash link
Head link
Blade grip
Tail pitch slider

IMG_20140429_185039.jpg

IMG_20140429_185107.jpg

IMG_20140429_211741.jpg

I think that Lee said it looked like a near re-kit and I think that's the route I'm going to go and get a 2014 FBL Protos kit at the end of the month.

IMG_20140429_185039.jpg

IMG_20140429_185107.jpg

IMG_20140429_211741.jpg

Slobberdog

it still looks like an ouch Dan, are any of the parts between the two models interchangeable it might make good sense if they are.

danhampson

yeah she went in really hard (nearly full collective) and bounced off the floor lol. she made a horrible sound.
there are a few differences between the kits but all parts are interchangeable. I wanted to build a new one this year just didn't think it would be the one i already have.

so it looks like its going to be a month of hard core simming.

Last edited:

philmill

Its a shame Dan , sorry to see it looking like this , my recomendations would be to throw the electrics into a Trex 500 air frame now its been a good start for you from what i have seen the protos is not without problems and they have very little resale value , not sure if i would want to throw money into another one mate .

Lee

Yeh,you have to weigh up the pros and cons of buying the parts to rebuild it, against the cost of a new model.
Then you can keep the old one for spares, or if you go with another brand model and transplant the electrics, you can sell the good parts for spares to someone.
Good luck with what ever you decide :)

Last edited:

danhampson

i can rebuild it on the cheap with g10 frames and HK blades but thats not how i work i wouldnt be able to live with it. ive been thinking of getting a 550/30 class for a while, but haven't got the space for another big heli but righting the protos off frees up the shelf.
Ive been talking to the other half and she is ok with that.
the electronics are brain (+ bluetooth +phase sensor) tail servo (full size savox), cyclic servos ds515, motor 6s 880kv scorpion, esc 60amp yge.

Any suggestions guys?

Lee

Those elecs would fit well on a Trex 500, except the motor which is a very odd KV for a 6S set up.
You could take the FBL system and the tail servo, sell the rest and fit out a Trex 550 or one of the new KDS Agile 5.5, now that would be cool.
Nobody has a KDS agile on here yet. You could do a build thread on it :)

danhampson

I do like the look of the agile but I've been drewling over the synergy e5 for a while and I've seen a second hand gobby 500 airframe for a good price.

Slobberdog

That KDS look sweet, the x5 looks good as well, not sure what servos that takes, but it throws 520 blades so not quite a 550 machine

Lee

I've heard the X5 is a bugger to fix and the parts are not the cheapest.
Come join the Gobble gobble gang Dan.
Two of my mates have just ordered the 500 Goblin as well.
I don't know anything about the Synergy but t would be another new model here on the site :)

philmill

2 reasons i would recomend a Trex 500 DFC

1, you can get many parts and upgrades at the right price

2, the 500 DFC would hold the most value and be the most saleable if you wanted to sell and move to a 600 / 700 , goblin etc at a later date

- - - Updated - - -

also if your going to keep with your inverted flying there will be more crashes to come , you will need lots of cheap spares

Tony

Staff member
test post, please ignore,

Praesent eu ultrices justo. Pellentesque hendrerit urna fringilla elit suscipit elementum. Sed porttitor facilisis metus ut hendrerit. In hendrerit velit in fringilla gravida. Nulla ultricies nisl nisi, quis eleifend neque pharetra non. Fusce mollis viverra arcu, id facilisis elit venenatis id. Integer posuere magna vitae felis luctus, a posuere erat blandit.

Lee

I don't personally, but I know CPO is building one.

He has a build video on it. Heres the first unboxing one.

Last edited by a moderator:

danhampson

found this video looks very good for the price and parts are cheap too.
its a bit ugly but i think the price outweighs the canopy

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

Hey Dan! The guy in that video, Nick Maxwell, he lives in the same city as I do. I just need to track him down and beg for him to give lessons (without him calling the cops and sending me to jail because he think's I'm paparazzi, lol)

murankar

Staff member
Sorry about your protos. Once you destroy that much of this kit The cost will be cheaper to rekit.

Mine is at about the same point yours is. Both frames, all plastic frame pieces, main and spindle shafts, tail boom and braces, Main blade grips and blades, yada yada yada.

The frames are $17 a piece, plastic frame pieces are about $17. Have not really priced everything else. At that point I was in a state of shock.

My new Gaui is cheaper in the long run and after my first crash on it I found it more durable.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom