General Dual Rate

Capn Pete

Being fairly new to cp helis, I'm getting a pretty good handle on regular 6g flying . I would like to start learning 3D. I've been told it involves more guts than skill! I believe it. I'm still unsure how to use the dual rate switch or when. Is it simply when you want to use a higher or lower rate of speed for different types of flying? So if you want to fly with less power, say when you're first learning, you use the lower rate? I think I'm doing it right so far. I switch the idle mode on to lock in the throttle speed, then switch to 3D to remove the safe mode. I'm flying a Blade 130S.

Thanks! Also be aware of HR 302. This bill if passed will remove rule 336 which protects our hobby from the FAA

RandyDSok

Dual rates doesn't affect the speed ... it affects the amount of travel for the servo/servos it's setup for.

Example... if set on lets say the aileron channel... At 100% if you move the stick all the way to the left, the servo moves 100% of its travel, if set to 50% and you move the stick all the way again the servo only moves 1/2 of the amount of travel it's capable of. This makes it less sensitive to the amount of stick movement you use on the transmitter.

While, when set to a lower rate, it is more docile since the movements aren't as quick to happen, it also allows a pilot to be more precise in some cases.

Capn Pete

Dual rates doesn't affect the speed ... it affects the amount of travel for the servo/servos it's setup for.

Example... if set on lets say the aileron channel... At 100% if you move the stick all the way to the left, the servo moves 100% of its travel, if set to 50% and you move the stick all the way again the servo only moves 1/2 of the amount of travel it's capable of. This makes it less sensitive to the amount of stick movement you use on the transmitter.

While, when set to a lower rate, it is more docile since the movements aren't as quick to happen, it also allows a pilot to be more precise in some cases.
Ok. Makes sense. So when learning 3D, it is a good idea to use the lower rate, then? In 6G I can use the higher rate to see more action?
Thanks...P

RandyDSok

Ok. Makes sense. So when learning 3D, it is a good idea to use the lower rate, then? In 6G I can use the higher rate to see more action?
Thanks...P

That's beyond me ( since I flew airplanes and seldom tried 3D ) but I suspect for 3D flying you'd want a higher rate so your reaction time is faster. You'd want the lower rate when you want to fly precision flying ( pattern flying ) or when you are wanting things to be milder. Of course all of this is subjective and only you will know what works best for you.

murankar

Staff member
You want more travel in the servo. If you want the ability to flip or roll you will need 75% plus travel in the servo.

Now as for expo I would start at 30% and see how twitchy it feels. You don't want it to feel twitchy when your just learning how to flip or roll.

Another thing to consider is how your fbl unit controls these settings and how it effects it. I only know Vbar but what I gather most fbl units have some version of flip and roll rates. This is your speed at which the helicopter will flip or roll.

So in Vbar your dual rates and expo falls into agility and style (had to Google the second one, had a brain fart). Style is going to be your expo and agility is you dual rates. Well not exactly but that's how they act.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
When I fly in my back yard with trees in the area, I have my X3 servos travel at 100% when I'm doing flips and rolls. I need the X3 to react quickly when a tree decides to jump out in front of me :).

Tony

Staff member
Sorry I'm late, absolutely horrible week out on the road...

I'm sure everyone explained what all of this does, but I will put in my thoughts. Too friggin tired to read everything in the thread, and I'm way behind on other threads as well.....

The dual rate only adjusts the travel of the servos. Expo will adjust how that servo moves throughout the throw of the stick. below is a video I did years ago on this subject. You may have seen it.

It has nothing to do with the idle up switch unless you have a Tx where you can map the DR/Expo to the IU/F-Mode switch. Which I have done and is helpful with some birds. Anyway, check out the video and let me know if it helped.

Capn Pete

I love you guys. that's what I like about this site and the RC community in general. Everyone is so helpful and don't give me a hard time when I ask dumb questions. (This is not true in the Ham radio hobby!) Thanks again to everyone who replied. I have a good handle on it now!

Capn Pete

I have decided that RC does not stand for 'Remote Control' any more. From now on it stands for 'Repair Constantly'!!

Tony

Staff member
Well, get me into HAM radios and I will create a forum about that topic just as friendly as this one :biggrin1:

Capn Pete

Well, get me into HAM radios and I will create a forum about that topic just as friendly as this one :biggrin1:
Sounds good, Tony. I was looking into HAM cause, as you know, some FPV cams require the license. I know less than nothing and was inquiring to this guy about contact info. His reply was very terse and in all caps. I apologized for bothering him and severed all contact. Dropped it right there. Thankfully, the RC community isn't like that. It would be a much smaller community if it were.

Tony

Staff member
Sadly though, the RC community is like that on some forums, some very large forums..... I was treated just like you were in the HAM forum, so I created this site lol.

Capn Pete

Sadly though, the RC community is like that on some forums, some very large forums..... I was treated just like you were in the HAM forum, so I created this site lol.
Glad you did. When a person is new to something, the simple things to the experienced are a mystery to a noobie. Even TX protocol, which is so simple to me now, I had absolutely no idea about it when I first started. It was help with the simple things like that which got me going and helped to keep me in the hobby. Only getting experience in the hobby do you get the opportunity to learn. It can be quite confusing when first starting out. I like to say, 'When I first started I knew less than nothing. I've learned so much now, I know next to nothing.' Meaning, I've learned so much, now I know how much I don't know! Thanks again for providing a great platform for learning.

Top Bottom