Spektrum DSMX6i

To start with I am a novice and I am learning to fly using the Buddy Box system. It has saved my planes many times. I am using two DX5e's, one that was given to me that I am using in my 6ft Telemaster and another that came with my Radian. Here in lies the pain in the backside. Both aircraft require different trim and servo reverse settings. To use the Buddy Box system the settings on the slave TX must be the same as that of the master TX. Ok, now we have plane "A" all set up and you had a great time flying plane "A". Now you want to fly plane "B". Both transmitters must be reconfigured to match plane "B". That is very time consuming and a pain in the neck knowing if you want to fly plane "A" again you most do it all over again.

Now that I am through rambling here is my question. I have been eyeballing a Spektrum DSMX6i. If nothing else the DSMX6i could become a slave for both planes. The DSMX6i is a computerized TX and can store up to 10 aircraft in its memory. My question is, which part of the plane's electronic settings does it remember? Does it just remember the bind setting or does it remember trim settings and other settings as well?

Graham Lawrie

Yes it stores the trim settings,pitch, throttle etc. It is a good TX for me as a noobie, i try to fly heli,s but have flown planes on it on Phoenix flight sim. A year down the line i am wishing i had got a 7 or 8, but back then i did not know if i was going to enjoy this, now i am addicted. Hope this helps:)

Yes that helped. It is looking like the DSMX6i may be the answer to my problem. I understand about becoming addicted. If I only had the money to indulge myself.:devilish:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that helped. It is looking like the DSMX6i may be the answer to my problem. I understand about becoming addicted. If I only had the money to indulge myself.:devilish:

Tony

Staff member
I will say this, the DX6i is a MUCH better Tx than the DX5e by a LONG shot. Computerized, LCD menu system that is easy to navigate and it's pretty simple to setup your planes on it. As for what it remembers, one word... EVERYTHING!

DXMX is a frequency hopping technology that will change what channel you are on if it starts to get crowded on your current channel. All while you are flying and you will never know it. The DSM2 version only has two frequencies that it works on, and will change over to the second backup frequency if it needs to.

When you bind a heli or plane to the Tx, it will remember what Rx you are using and will ONLY work with that model and that Rx. It will remember EVERYTHING about what you put into it such as trims, sub trim, model name, and every other setting that you put in it. Even if you remove the battery, the profiles are stored in a perminant memory like a memory card, so they will not delete when you change batteries.

If you have the cash, go for the 7s or the 8, it's WELL worth t. I have the DX8 and it's a GREAT Tx. But, if you don't have the cash, the DX6i is still a Great Tx to get and will serve you well until you get 11 aircraft going :biggrin1:.

Don't think it won't happen, because it will lmao.

I agree that a 7 or 8 would make a better choice but right now I am stretching to make the cost of the 6. Some day I would like to use my Telemaster as a tow plane. For that I will need a sixth channel. Who knows, some day I may get the bugs for a big War Bird and will need 7 or more channels. When the time comes to make the purchase I may have enough beans to upgrade.

Derek

Yeah, I am pretty much in the same boat as the above statements.

A little over a year ago was when I first got into rc flying. I think I watch just one too many Youtube videos, then I wanted to fly, lol. I bought the Phoenix sim and a DX6i. I love the DX6i. It's been a great Tx and has done everything that I've wanted it to do. I will be getting a DX8 next month and I will hand down my DX6i to my wife. She is wanting to learn to fly this year. Then we'll be doing the whole "buddy box" thing.

I am certainly no "pro" nor am I as advanced as many other RCH members, but I can tell ya this...if possible....get a DX7 or DX8. You'll be able to grow into them. However, if the DX6i is what you can afford....I promise you, grandpa...you won't be disappointed with a DX6i.

I'd love to see your Telemaster as a tow plane!

That's another reason I wanted to step up a 6. Either I have to disable my flaps to run the tow line release or use a 6 to do it. Although I haven't used my flaps yet, I understand the flaps give the plane a lot more lift which would help when towing a heavier plane. The DSMX6i also has duel rate flaps and I can mix the flaps and elevator so it gives the plane a little down elevator to keep my plane from automatically climbing when I engage the flaps. I know that a 7 or 8 would give me more options but I am a retired gent on a fixed income. I therefore "must save my milk money", so to speak, to be able to purchase the things I need and want. I tried selling the kids but no one wanted the little ingrates.

Tony

Staff member
The DX6i does have a two position switch, but it's either flaps on, or flaps off. The bonus from the 6i and the 7s (I think) and 8 is you can slow the servo for the flaps WAY down so it doesn't flair when you deploy them. With the DX6i, when you flip the switch the servo will hit down flaps as fast as the servo can move. You can however purchase a servo speed reducer or whatever it's called to slow them down.

When you set your flaps up, you will want to put in a little UP elevator, NOT down. Because the flaps are behind the CoG, it will want to pitch the back of the wing up thus causing the nose to drop. Make sure to get the plane in the air and flying stable and slow at least 40' up and deploy the flaps. See what the plane does and be ready to go back to normal flight. If you have the wrong setting on takeoff and you have the flaps down, you could raise up into the air and slam it back into the ground. Just trying to help out and keep this great bird in the air.

The DX6i will more than likely do EVERYTING you want it to go and then some. It's a great Tx and you will love it. My advice, order it or pick it up now and get off that cheap Tx. You won't regret it!!!

If you have any questions, as always, just ask and we will be here to help you out.

Top Bottom