DSMX & OrangeRx, READ IMMEDIATELY

Tony

Staff member
I'm sitting here working on the Rogue 3D Bipe getting all of the control surfaces setup and I found a major issue that could result in you losing your plane, or injuring someone. All of the control surfaces are working great EXCEPT the up elevator. When I slam the elevator stick down (up elevator), it either limits the movement of the elevator, or it doesn't move at all. I thought it was my DX8 at first, but I went out and tested this theory on my Edge with the AR6200 in it, and everything is perfect. It's the OrangeRx that is causing this issue.

If you are doing a dive to the ground, or a stall and try to "snap" the plane out of it by giving it quick full up elevator, you will crash you plane, injure someone, or damage property. I'm sure the control surface could be different on each Rx, but this is worth noting.

To test this if you have a DSMX Tx, and the old OrangeRx, test each control surface (aileron, rudder and elevator) by slamming the stick one way or the other. If at any time you have any issues with the servo not moving all the way, DO NOT FLY THE AIRCRAFT!

I just wanted to post this since I just found it. This is a serious issue and it's not the Tx's fault, it's the cheap Rx components. Use a good Rx made by Spektrum. Trust me, your $300 plane is worth an $80 Rx.

Feedback is welcome if you have had this issue or if you have questions.

Lee

Yep there are known issues with the DSMX and Clone DSM2 RX's I only have one clone left in my Funjet, so i will be testing throughly before flight.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Lol was that my problem when I crashes my p-51..?? I was doing a dive when I couldn't recover with my elevator. I am using orange rx on it.. Good to hear you figured it out way before..

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I had heard about issues between the two, but the issues I heard was brown-out's and not a single control failing if you move it too fast. Just for clarification, I'm on 22ms and not 11ms even though I'm using digital servos. I have one more OrangeRx in my F-16 that I am going to be fully testing, but this issue may be why that plane seemed so twitchy on it's maiden flight that you guys saw in the video. I will have more information on this in the near future. I don't want anyone losing an aircraft and possibly injuring someone because of a friggin $7 Rx. I think I"m going to order some more of the AR6115's for my small planes. The AR6200 in my Edge is the original DSM2 from my DX6i and it's doing great. But I'm starting to question that one as well. And I really don't want to crash that plane.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Tony, and anyone who is using a dx8! You have to use a compatibull rx with this tx! I brought this up mts ago. When I was researching the dx8. I ran across a great deal of negative feedback and videos on this. When I brought it up to my lhs, and these guys are all about flying, they told me. You can't use this tx with older Rx's not compatibull with the new technologies! To do so is taking a chance! I would not attempt binding it even with the ar6200 that's in my p51. Let alone the orangex!

Tony

Staff member
I have done some further tests. The elevator in question here was the surface that would not move all the way. So as I sit here getting ready for work, I decided to put in a battery and do some testing. I found out that every control surface works as it should, but the elevator would still hang up, but only when pulling the stick back fast. So I started digging a little more. I found out that the only time is does this is when the travel is at 148%, 149% and 150%, Anything under that and it works perfectly. However, I could not repeat my findings on my F-16 that has the same Rx, even with full servo travel.

I still stand by my ruling that you should not use the OrangeRx with the DX8. As for the AR6200, there is not an issue with that. Just make sure you have your Tx set to DSM2 and not DSMX, the Tx is backwards compatible. The issue lies in the cheap knockoff Rx's.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Are you sure lee?? Lol cause then I won't have anyone to blame it on.. Heehee

Well if it's a dsmx issue then shoot! Lol I got dx6i dsm2.. To be honest, I never had an issue with the reception on mine .. But tony is right, you can't put your expensive planes or helis on these..

Tony

Staff member
I have beed doing a LOT of reading on the DX8 and the AR6200. Horizon Hobby has done extensive testing on this and everyone is coming up with the same conclusion. If you are running the 1.03 firmware, you will be fine, but if you are running the 1.04 firmware, then there is an issue. This issue is when you are done flying, your Rx will be blinking like it lost signal. But, you will never notice it in the air. From the reports that I have read, no one has crashed, and HH says there is not an issue, it's just a firmware fluke. I will just have to keep flying it, and document my findings as I go along. I will keep you guys posted on what I find.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
How do you know what firmware you are using. I haven't done a thing with mine ther than register it.

Tony

Staff member
lmao, that shows just how old the stuff is that I was reading... To find your firmware, hold down the wheel while you power it on to go into your system setup menu. Scroll all the way down to System Settings then click next until you are on your serial number screen. On the bottom right of that screen you will see your firmware version. I have 2.02 in mine.

Tony

Staff member
Seeing as I have only run the 2.02, I'm going to say that lol. I think this issue with the OrangeRx has everything to do with cheap electronics and nothing to do with the Tx. Even HH said the AR6200 blinking was not an issue to be worried about. Through all of their testing, they never could get it to lose control from what I have read.

I know when I first had this happen, I thought the pots had gone bad like they had in the DX6i lol. Talk about worried.

Lee

Have you guys registered your radios? I tried but it said my serial number was wrong??? I tried a few times but still the same.

Tony

Staff member
I think I did. Can't remember though. I'm sure I did because I was worried about some of the recalls.

Top Bottom