450 Double Duty

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Just to bring you up to date of what I'm doing. After getting my TREX clone already to install in my Augusta A109, I change my mind after much thought. Being this is a belt driven bird, would have to make some modifications in order to install the tail rotor. Even though I cut out the required area for such an installment, it still would have been a bear to do. Looked like cutting the cone end off to mount the tail rotor and make a sleeve inside the fuselage to secure it in place. So what I decided to do was put my Gartt 450 Pro in it's place. Reason is it's torque driven (a lot easier to install, no additional cutting) and inside a fuselage tail better protection in a crash. I'm also in the process of converting it to a FBL helicopter. Have already got a DFC head that I ordered and shopping for a 3 axis gyro. Since she already has Gartt mechanical and electrical parts, might as well do it right. At the same time I'm doing this will custom build a 300 Hughes bubble canopy, vertical and horizontal fin for my clone 450. I first made a mock up of the bubble head out of cardboard to scale and quite please with the results. Will make the final one out of 1/8 acrylic secured with micro screws and small acrylic squares and super glue. The bottom of the canopy with two small holes, will be fasten to wooden dowels that will be glued to main frame. The top back of the bubble will be screwed in place with aluminum strips attached to the main frame in front of the rotor head. Fins also will be made out of 1/8 acrylic. So when I finish these projects all my helicopters will be scale. Hope to have a maiden flight for each bird by the end of the month or early August.

Admiral

Sounds like you have a couple of great projects under way James, quick question did you use retractable U/C on the Augusta or fixed ? I've been trying to get retracts working on mine for 12 months or more, they work on the bench but not resilient enough to work properly in the field.

How about some photos of your projects.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there James. I also would like to see some pics. of your projects and a video of maiden when it happens :). I my self, like Admiral, had problems with my retractable on my Augusta. I got tried of messing with it that I made mine fixed. One lest headache to worry about Lol.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi guys,

In answer to your question about retractable landing gear, I decided to keep them fix. Know a guy whose (700 size RC helicopter) retracts failed when he had electrical problems on final and he wasn't a happy camper. On my CH53, the landing gear is also fix and I'm OK with that. I've invested a lot of time and money in both birds especially in detailing them. Spend as much time working on them like I did on army helicopters.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone,

Here's my update on the Hughes 300C . Was going to scratch build it but found a company in Germany that makes a kit for this 450 helicopter. Despite the instructions were in German, the photos were an excellent source to refer to. End results are awesome and getting her ready for it's maiden flight. She's finish in Swiss insignia markings and will send photos soon. I've even been thinking of making a pair of detachable pontoons out of foam and flashing strobe red on tail boom and white on front bottom of canopy. Now that would really give her some class. At the same time working on my 450 Augusta 109 (Cool Runnings). The fuselage painted national colors of Jamaica: Black, Yellow and Green will look sharp. And with the FBL aluminum metal head and black carbon fiber main blades she'll be a beast. Might install a separate power source with on/off switch for navigational lighting system.Will be using Tarot ZYX 3 Axis Gyro System. Had a little setback downloading the files to open, contacted the seller explaining my dilemma. Hope to get this resolved soon. Now all 3 of my birds are scale and couldn't be happier.

Top Bottom