450 Don't Land Toooo Harddd

Karubah

Did a bit of damage to the 450 this arvo. First time in over a month. Confidence out weighing abilities. So here is a list of the damage.
Bent main blade link
450 crash 2-7-13 034.jpg

Bent tail boom
450 crash 2-7-13 032.jpg
Main blades delaminated
450 crash 2-7-13 035.jpg
Battery damage, might get away with it as looks like it only broke the outer cover
450 crash 2-7-13 033.jpg
Also did the gears in the pitch servo. Oh well at least I have all the parts on hand so it " REPAIR TIME"
I caused this by flying in fairly strong winds and when I went to land it just dropped from about 1 ft of the ground and the main blades hit the boom when it hit the ground. Will check feathering shaft and main shaft when I strip it down. The screws on this poor old heli are getting worn out from the number of times they have been in and out.

450 crash 2-7-13 034.jpg

450 crash 2-7-13 032.jpg

450 crash 2-7-13 035.jpg

450 crash 2-7-13 033.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Sucks bro. That battery is fine though, just tore the outer plastic. Rebuild and fly again bro. I'm sure my day is coming with me flying more and more here lately.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
the nature of the hobby....build and get back in the air bud. there are some guys in our club that crashed and are scared to fly again cause of repair. WTH!

orbi

I know the feelin.... take the boom ( i know its only a dollar or 2) and straighten it first by hand as best you can... then send down the tube 3 old drill bits that have the ends rounded off, you ll need one a 1/16 smaller one thats just about right and one about 3/32 smaller than the inside diameter... ive crashed so many times that ive saved a small fortune on booms. simply by straightening them with this mthod ,just hammer the drill bits down the boom. cosmetically its rough but hey when your learning etc who cares. its the cost that matters.
I bought some carbon fibre 1/4 rods and made a new stabilizer with some bent out skids( leave the pipes on) warmed up with a lighter to spread them a touch. then wrap some thin string around them all the way up each leg and smear it with a thin cheap super glue to harden it. Brace them across the front and back,I found my heli could take a 5ft slam into the ground when I get in trouble on a hover. ive not had to pay out anything for a couple of weeks due to these methods and I fly or (practice anyway) 2 hours every day... they work well tho!

Top Bottom