General Does anyone have a 74" 3D plane???

Derek

I'm scratch building a 74" 3D plane and I'll be the first to admit that, although I have fun with each build, I am no master builder, lol. I was just wondering if anyone here had a 74" 3D plane....Edge or Extra. If anyone does, can you tell me the measurement from the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer to the trailing edge of the aileron on the main wings?

I've been looking at my plane and I'm beginning to think that I have my wings too far forward and I think my plane is going to be insanely tail heavy. Unfortunately, I have the spar tube and custom wing mounting plates heavily glued into place, so there is no chance of moving them. I may just have to build a bit of a motor mount block to help set the motor and prop a bit more forward. I really won't know until I have all the electronics in place and I get it all wired up.

Here is a pic of a 74" AJ Slick....now...this is NOT my plane, lol, but I'm looking for the measurement from A to B. Would anyone have this measurement?

74 inch AJ Slick.jpg

74 inch AJ Slick.jpg

RandyDSok

A couple of things...

The AJ Slick's come in 71" and then 89" ... not a big deal, if you had the measurement you'd just scale it... but a point none the less. The 3DHS Edge does come in a 74" ...

Another issue... the length of the tail differs depending on the flight characteristics you are after... a sport plane will have a shorter one than a pattern plane as an example. Of course it isn't that straight forward either... when the designer made the plans they were going to build... they adjusted that length to suit the needs of what they were looking for in the flight characteristics.

To get to the point... if your build is basically more like an Edge or a Slick... then you'll want to get the measurements for that type of plane.

Derek

Believe it or not Randy....everything you said made sense to me, lol. Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
As randy stated, with a longer tail it's going to want to be more of a flier than a stunt plane. It should still fly if you can get the CoG correct, and it may even be more stable than you are thinking it's going to be.

Smoggie

I have the 51" AJ Slick... The different size Slick airframes are all scaled in proportion, my 51" version measures 16" 'A to B' so the 74" size Slick would be 23", give or take.

mooserider

This is more of a question for you guys... but, what's considered a 3D plane? I'm just getting back into planes after about 20 years, and this whole electric thing is new. Are any nitro or gas planes ever considered 3D? Is it a weight thing, or the the throws you have in your surfaces? I think the most aerobatic plane I've ever made is a Chaos or Super Sportster (with OS 46 asb engines - i.e., overpowered). Does that count?

Or is it user abilitiy? For example, I have a trex 450 that can for sure do 3D stuff, but I can't!

Anyhow, just something I've been wondering about.

Thanks!

Smoggie

For planes '3D' is a type of flying that involves sustained flight with the wings stalled and relying on prop thrust for lift. So 3D planes need lots of thrust, lightweight, low wing loading and huge control surfaces with big throws that will be effective at very low airspeed and when stalled. Yes, you can get nitro and gas 3D planes, they are quite common.

I guess the same definition doesnt work for helis because helis dont 'stall' as such. With helis it relates more to a style of flying that involves violent aerobatics that typically have the heli rotating on multiple axis at once. As a rule of thumb, if it looks to the casual uninformed observer like the heli has lost control, 'gone nuts' and is in the process of crashing then that's probably 3D... Or maybe the heli is actually crashing, waiting a few moments usually resolves that one:chuckles: (not taking anything away from the skill involved in 3D here... it's incredibly difficult)

Tony

Staff member
As Steve stated, 3D in planes just means flying below stall speed. I have a few of these planes and they are a blast to fly. Well, if I could fly them. Thank you Federal Government for that.

mooserider

Ok, that totally make sense. Like hanging from a prop. So does that means actual (non-rc) planes can be considered 3D? I've seen real biplanes and others do stuff like that. Or for that matter, something like the Raptor (F22), although it's a jet.

I love watching the crazy 3D heli folks... it's absolutely mind blowing what can be done with those things!

mooserider

Those were awesome Tony. I've seen the second one before, but not the first. Here's one of a biplane at an airshow. At about 3 minutes and 15 seconds it starts doing a prop hang: Incredible Horsepower! Plane Hangs by its Prop Literally Hovering HD - YouTube

These are probably my two favorite RC videos:
Alan S: Alan Szabo Jr. Align TREX 450 SPORT - YouTube
Some guy: WORLD CHAMPION RC Helicopter pilot Demonstrates his Awesome Skills - YouTube

Btw, I love how Smoggie called it 'violent aerobatics'!

Tony

Staff member
Ahahaha, did you see that photographer step back when Szabo did the first move? lmao. And him flying an old flybar 450, that's just not right lmao.

Derek

Re: Does anyone have a 74" 3D plane???

Well, seeing as how we've gone way off topic, I may as well follow...

Here is one of my favorite heli videos. This is Antonios Printezis, from Arizona, and his SAB Goblin 770 Competition. Although he's not as well known as Nick Maxwell, Bert Kammerer, and Alan Szabo Jr, Antonios mostly flies with very smooth and deliberate stick movements.

SAB Goblin 770 - First 3D Flight - (Low & High RPM) Flight - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Then, if you want to go to the opposite end of subtleness.....here is Tim Jones and his v1 "Beast". This beast of a machine is just awesome!!!

Trex 700E "The Beast" - Tim Jones insane power - YouTube

mooserider

Ya that Antonia video is a nice change of pace. You can actually see what he's doing in the moves, yet it still blows your mind. Really liked that, thanks Derek!

Derek

Yeah, Antonios is a great flyer and his a great guy to talk to. I enjoy his flying style.

Top Bottom