Quad Disco dances into a tree.!!

Karubah

Flying the Disco last evening having a great time and the next thing I see the Disco start spinning and flipping and heading for the ground.I'm thinking WTF!! and hit the the failsafe switch and its still heading for dirt and then this sound of pruning branches with props, it's in a small tree. This is the result.
Disco Crash 001.jpgDisco Crash 002.jpg The damage is, 2 arms , 1 esc and a couple of led strips. When I went looking for the cause I could find nothing wrong except that the 3m tape that holds the GPS puck on top of the pole seemed to have no stickiness to it when I touched it, it was very dry to feel.
I am hoping this was the cause and not the Naza having a heart attack, really won't know until I get it back together and give it a try.

Oh yes and the Orange Rx is being replaced with an AR 8000

Disco Crash 001.jpg

Disco Crash 002.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

Really hate not know what the issue was. Always makes you nervous on the first flight after. Hope it goes well.

Karubah

Thanks for the replies fellas, I have been doing a bit of research on the naza and it seems that it is prone to fly aways but I don't think it did this it just started spinning and flipping and headed to the ground. When the new ESCs turn up I will reset and re calibrate everything and hope for the best but I think I will always have a little bit of mistrust with the naza.

Stambo

I feel your pain. At least when mine flew away and hit the neighbours house I knew it was operator error.
2.4 radio signals don't go through tin roof. :(
Those arms look the same as the 450 X quad frame I got from banggood for $15.

I know what you mean about the Naza, a friend had his fly away.
Luckily he had a telemetry receiver installed and we drove around in the direction it went.
We were just about to give up when the telemetry system finally gave a beep.
We found it about 1.5km away from where it launched, in about the same condition as yours.

Karubah

Stambo, the arms are DJI arms and also I'm pretty sure mine wasn't a fly away as it just started spinning and flipping. I'm fairly sure at this point in time the puck came off the tower. I will however take this opportunity to move things around, I will move the puck as far away from anything electronic as it can go and will go to 3s batteries and 9 x5 props and see how that goes getting rid of vibes.

Stambo

I think the quads I have are flamewheel clones so if you want some cheap arms....... :)

Karubah

Thanks for the offer of the clone arms:glee:. I ordered a set of those but they take a 2.5 mm screw and Disco frame is 3 mm so I sent them back. Any how I had a few spare arms on hand so the only thing I had to get was an ESC.

Paul I,m not too sure bailing wire and chewing gum would quite do the job.lol:biglaugh:

Karubah

Not so certain on the cause of the crash now. Put the Disco back together and recalibrated the Naza. When I engaged the motors the motor that was on the arm that busted the ESC only went to about half revs and was making a fluttering noise. I pulled it off and hooked it up to a servo tester and ran it up and got the same result. I then pulled it apart and this is what i saw inside. I hope you can see the blue plastic melted to the inside of the cage, I have no idea where it came from so now have to wait for a new motor to arrive which will be about 1/2 weeks.:upset:

View attachment 8003View attachment 8004

I don't know if it's just me, but the pics didn't work, but if there is a bit of melted plastic in the motor, that could explain the flipping etc.
Disappointing to see the damage dude, hope she gets airborne again soon

Stambo

That doesn't look right. I think you are probably right. You have likely found the cause of your crash.

I got 5 motors and ESCs for my quads because I didn't want to wait if something went wrong.
That has paid off as I had an ESC go bad and I could fly again almost immediately.

Diablo, that's what I was thinking, the glue that held the magnets has either melted, or was never set properly and had leaked into the motor.
Does seem really odd

- - - Updated - - -

Or blue loctite that has leaked?

Karubah

Yep.. Tony is right again, it's an epoxy used to balance the motors. I sent the same pics to the dealer and he sent them to the manufacturer and they said that it was epoxy used to balance the bell. They are sending me a replacement even though they are not sure this caused the crash.:D

I will now have 5 motors, I had already ordered 4 new ones might be able to build a new quad with the spares I'm carrying. Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom