General Disable gyro in Beast UMX Biplane

mooserider

So I'm really disappointed to find out that my little biplane has a gyro. I'm not too bright that I didn't realize this, as the servos tweak wildly as I move it. To my defense, I'm not use to the modern electronics... I'm use to nitros. Anyway, how can I disable it so I can fly under my own skills? I checked the manual, but didn't find anything (as well as some google searches).

Help me out... I feel like less of a pilot finding out some of the work has been done for me!

Oh, btw, this is the exact plane: http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/airplanes-14501--1/bind-n-fly/umx-beast-bnf-eflu4080

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That plane is an absolute hand full without a gyro helping you out. IMO, I would keep it even if there is a way to disable it. And I don't think there is.

Smoggie

Bear in mind the AS3X gyro system doesnt stabilise the plane like some other systems do (such as Horizon's 'SAFE').. All the AS3X really does is make the plane fly smoother and make it more resistant to wind disturbance, both of which are good to have an a ultra micro plane. AS3X doesnt do any of the flying for you.

I'm pretty sure that it cant be disabled anyway.

mooserider

Ugh... well, ok then. One more + for nitro I'd say, but my guess is now they're doing the same... right? Put a gyro in a nitro plane. As far as I can tell, since the receivers are there, you could do that. I don't know how you could program that into your Tx, but I guess it's possible. Like, if the plane shifts too much left, you tell it to compensate. I would assume that's that the 'stabilization' that's built in does?

mooserider

If you removed the 3gx from a trex 450, how hard would it be to fly compared to without it? I know that's hard to quantify. Do these things know if they're in an airplane vs a heli? For example, could I take the 3gx from my heli, make a balsa airplane, and have it stabilize the airplane? I don't remember any setting from the 3gx setup specifying airplanes.

Admiral

I have a UMX Beast with AS3X and my son has a version #1 without, the AS3X defiantly improves the experience, it is a lot smoother to fly, but both are a hoot to fly.

The thing that you could do is see if the version #1 control board is still available and then sell yours, the AS3X board bring a reasonable price second hand.

Admiral

Hi Mooserider, this is a non-AS3X version that has just popped up for sale in Australia, probably not economical for you with postage.

mooserider

Adminral, I can't seem to find one online. Could you help me out with a link? I feel like Tony threw down the gauntlet and thinks I can't fly ; ). I know I'm a newbie to helis, but I gotta prove my plane skills. Actually, I need to get off my ass and finish my skybolt and demonstrate that! But in the mean time, I would love a little foam biplane that doesn't have any of this bs assist stuff. Doesn't have to be he beast.. but something.

Been out for a bit... refinancing the house, while in the middle of a bathroom remodel. And the bank won't OK the loan until I finish the bathroom, so I've been busy. House built in 1901 btw... you wouldn't believe the ^$#* they did in these houses back then. Tie'ing in new plumbing to lead-sealed pipes... fun stuff!

mooserider

Fair point rdsok! I'll do my best to use more logic in the future. I kind of *assumed* that folks building kits and such don't throw in gyros... but that's not a good assumption these days, and also, not everyone builds kits anymore! It's so weird sounding to me though that you would use a gyro on an airplane you built. My only exposure to such a device (gyro) is from when I went to helis. So I thought at first this was only needed for helis. But I guess you don't even need then on a heli technically. I remember watching RC heli competitions when I was younger (late 80s)... those guys surely didn't have gyros on their RC helis at the time right?

Anyhow, I realize now that electric vs nitro makes no difference as far as what electronics you're using. Though I'll always love nitro more. Broke in a OS 61 last weekend, in a P51. Love it... can't wait to fly it. Hopefully this weekend if the Seattle rain gives way for any amount of time.

RandyDSok

Nitro and electric each have their advantages...

I lean towards the electrics... more for the convenience and ease of maintaining. I love how on nitro ( or gas for that matter ), you have a much longer flight time. The downside for me, is having to cleanup afterword and the constant tweaking on the engine to account for the changes in temp and air pressure. With a motor, the instant power is probably it's best advantage beyond the maintenance stuff you don't have to deal with. Of course the downside is the available flight time.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, the humidity has more to do with tuning a nitro than ambient air temp. I really do need to get some nitro videos out there lol. I just have no where to fly these large planes I have.

Admiral

Hi Mooserider, done a bit of research, my son's Beast has the AR6400 LBL board in it, that has been discontinued through Horizon.

I also asked my son if he wanted to swap boards with you, he declined he loves flying it without AS3X and said that it flies so well he wouldn't change a thing.

The boards are still available on Ebay .http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spektrum-SPMAR6410LBL-DSMX-6Ch-Ultra-Micro-Receiver-with-Brushless-ESC-/381792756395?hash=item58e49f22ab:g:wdEAAOSw2GlXIL1L

Be careful when ordering there is a AR6410 board which is the same but only supports 3.7 Volts

Good luck hope that helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom