Did some maintenance today, hsould of waited

murankar

Staff member
I figured it was time to do some maintenance on the 450 today. Started taken her apart, I took everything off and found a few reasons why I am glade I did.

For starters I took off the electronics, servos are in not so good shape, still usable just not on this model. Esc well lets just say it still works, saving it for the rc help trainer. Motor was dirty on the top other than that not to bad. gyro holding strong and I think I found my tail wag issue. Next I took off the tail and dismantled the air frame everything except the skid mounts and skids came apart. As I took the screws out I put them in nail polish remover. I cleaned everything else with alcohol and cotton.

Time to take the tail apart, I should have just left it, but it needed it. I found a small dent in the tail boom on the side which is a minor issue, but none the less I put on a new tail boom in the end. The tail rotor assembly had no issues except for a bunch of black lint. I would assume the belt was rubbing on something. Took off the pitch slider so I could work in the blade grips. I cleaned every screw and bearing in the acetone and then my problems began. I went to reassemble the grips and could not remember what order the spacers and bearing went in, watched a nuttcaze video and found out the order. I had the most issues with the first grip I re-assembled. I tried everything heat, acetone, more heat and acetone then finally some oil. I still feel ratcheting in the bearing and then if tightened [snug] and then spin it, it will loosen the screw. So after almost an hour on this I moved on the the other grip. This one spins smoothly even when snugged down. This whole time I thought it was the pitch slider binding, come to find out it was the blade grip. I had just enough money from payday to order a new blade grip set. I hope this one is flawless or I have enough parts to make a perfect one.

As of right now everything is oiled up and re assembled and waiting for new electronics. I have the two savox servos installed the gyro and the DS520 (for the time being). Once I get the other servo I will go through and setup the servos and pitch on the main blades. I may reinstall the old motor just so I can fly a little while I wait for the other parts to come in. I will have to order a few main shafts since I ran out.

I had the camera out this morning and thought ok let me do a quick warm up then film. Well I got so into it I forgot to hit record. I was trying to get adventurous with some side in flying and nose in flying. Just my luck as I was starting to fly the wind picks up. I got flying right to left and the wind decided to push it down, hard. I was on grass so I saved some parts on that one. Went again and the same thing almost happened, this time I managed to get tail in and got it up before it hit. went from left to right and this time the wind took it up, I should have had the fun switch on because even with the 1 or 2 degrees negative pitch I have at 45% stick it still wanted to climb. Finally it came back down and I brought it to land and the wind again pushes it to the ground with another hard hit. I checked the main shaft, every-so-slightly bent. Checked the tail shaft, it's holding up so far. So that is why I wanted to do maintenance on it today. So now I am done till the servo and esc come in, that should be in about a week from now.

Well those are my adventures for Fathers day, Happy Fathers to all and I hope it is a good one.

Tony

Staff member
I have one of those tail grip sets like the one you are replacing. I hope you ordered an Align grip set and not exi...

murankar

Staff member
Actually it is EXI. I have not had the issues that others have had. Although I did have that issue with the tail shaft but that is fixed for the time being. To be honest I cant remember if the tail was like this when I got or after I started flying. This issue cold have been an operator induced problem.

Top Bottom