500 DFC 500 Ball Links

Ken Jackson

I recently crashed my 500 because it seemed that the blade grip control arm pulled out of the ball link attached to the swash plate. I assumed that I must have cross threaded it. Upon ordering new ball links I found in a pack of 4 that 2 of the 4 brand new ball links were not drilled and tapped perfectly centered. I could have done one of them better myself by hand. I will be sending them to Align and questioning who is manufacturing them.

I have always counted on Align products to be top shelve but these ball links are ridiculous. If the hole is not truly centered or drilled at any angle at all it is very difficult to thread the link on straight let alone not damaging the threads. I'm attaching a photo but it was hard to see that it was off center. Like I said I am very disappointed with this pathetic quality.

IMG_1055.jpgIMG_1053.jpg

Ken

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I have never seen a plastic ball end that is pre-threaded. Even on my 600 nitro it's just a molded piece and you make your own threads with the rod. Not only does it hold very well, but it will not loosen up in flight. However, with that said, I have not seen the links to the DFC. Hope you get it straightened out.

Ken Jackson

I thought they were pre-threaded. I know they are hard to get started, but seems like they are threaded once it starts. I'll look a little closer. I'm sure Align would say I did it wrong and perhaps I did. :sorrow:

Tony

Staff member
No worries Ken, everyone has to start somewhere. My favorite saying... "You don't know what you don't know until you know it".

Ken Jackson

It's all good. I'm back in the air again anyway. Had two really good flights yesterday. Wind was 15 MPH so it wasn't as fun as it should have been. No problems. Working on my aileron and elevator 3GX gain settings. Also threw a little Expo into my rudder, was way too sensitive. Went flying with a buddy who lost site of his 600PRO and lost it. He said he just saw grey spots and didn't know were his Heli went. Tried to get him to join e forum but he hasn't yet. Here is an ugly crash, he had just gotten started and Lost it. He has been flying a out 4-5 years.

Hard to watch but here it is;

Ken
:sorrow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Jackson

I posted the videos for my buddy to watch but I haven't heard anything from him. Hope he isn't mad at me, I was asking him a question when it happened. He didn't mention that yesterday. I am also putting my 450 SE back together. Upgraded to a torque tube tail but I'm not going flybarless. I may sell this one because I want another 500. After that 600 crash, I cant see spending the money on a 600, they cost to much to fix, that crash probably will cost $300 plus.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I posted the videos for my buddy to watch but I haven't heard anything from him. Hope he isn't mad at me, I was asking him a question when it happened. He didn't mention that yesterday. I am also putting my 450 SE back together. Upgraded to a torque tube tail but I'm not going flybarless. I may sell this one because I want another 500. After that 600 crash, I cant see spending the money on a 600, they cost to much to fix, that crash probably will cost $300 plus.

That's why I quit flying mine last year. I was spending way too much to fix her every week. But this year I'm bound and determined to fly her! Even if I have to pay for flight instruction! Lol

Ken Jackson

Just make sure to put in the simulator time. It creates muscle memory that will keep your heart from pounding when you fly. Then when your relaxed it is more enjoyable and educational.

wolfman76

Sorry to here that Ken glad to hear you got it back in the air though we're going to have to get together and fly when i get my 500 back in the air...

Top Bottom