450 Devil Puzzle Continues: How To Connect Receiver, Gyro, Servos And Esc

Well, I have received the new tarot motor I ordered and a new esc to match that. I'm still waiting on the new dfc shaft which is taking way too long to arrive (so long in fact that I went and ordered a complete tarot dfc head last week and wonder which arrives first) and a new canopy since the first was damaged in transport, but I thought I would start figuring out the connections of the receiver, gyro, servos and esc.

Here is my specs of these items:
- esc: Hobbywing skywalker 40A
- receiver: flysky fs-ia6b (to link with my cheap flysky fs-i6x)
- gyro: mini k-bar

On trying to find info I discovered that the k-bar is actually a cheap clone of the v-bar and apparently a lot of people are offended by this and are refusing to offer any advice. I was not aware of this at the time of ordering and would like to try and use it for the time being.

I think I have figured out the wiring of the receiver. At least I seem to be able to control the right servo's and throttle when I connect them all without using the gyro.

Now my question is: How to connect the gyro. As far as I understand I should connect all the servo's to the k-bar and link the k-bar to the receiver in a certain way, but how am I powering both the receiver and the gyro?
Do I need a splitter for that?

It is fun trying to figure all this out on my own, but could use some advice at this time.

Tony

Staff member
I wish I could help, but I have never even had that gyro in my hands to play with. I'm sure someone on here has set them up before such as @Chris Hadley since he just set it up on his 450.

Thank for the reply Tony.
I guess even you can't know everything. lol

Just in general though, how do you supply power to both a receiver and a gyro?
Do you use a split servo cable from the esc to the receiver and the gyro?
Or is it sometimes possible to connect the power to the receiver and transfer it to the gyro or vice versa?

So, I guess I have figured it out on my own after all. As it turns out you can power the receiver from the esc/bec and this power is linked on to the k-bar. However I was assuming on the k-bar the signal wire had to point to the label, but it is exactly the other way. So the with the brown cables of the servo cables pointed up I have power on the gyro and as far as I can tell the right channels are reacting to the input.
I do think I have to reverse some channels though.
For now I think I will try to have the setup without the gyro working as expected and when that is done I will connect the gyro and see how that works out.

Unfortunately I cannot do the complete setup because the head is still 9mm too high and I'm still waiting on the dfc shaft. The canopy arrived today though. It was still not packaged correctly but was less damaged compared to the previous one. I had also ordered another canopy (in a different color) and that also arrived today and was not damaged.
So the only thing preventing me from finishing this build is the main shaft.

Tony

Staff member
What you posted is exactly right, you power them through the ESC/BEC to the receiver, then there are wires that go from the receiver to the gyro. As long as one of those wires has positive and negative, it will power everything since all pins are on the same rail.

Hope you get the shaft soon.

Hi Vincent,
You will need the mikado vbar software to set up the K-bar. I set mine up with 2 dancers sats as using Spektrum dx9. If you need any specific questions answering regarding set up the Kbar on the program let me know and if I can I will answer them for you. If it’s regarding receiver to Kbar I can ask one of our guys who fly that set up
Regards
Chris
Aka the flying hippo

Smoggie

You need to connect the Kbar to your PC and use the Vstabi software to set it up. There is no point trying to set anything up without the kbar, pretty much everything has to be setup from within the kbar.

Totally agree Smoggie but not sure if he has even connected it or if he even has the software. If not he got a FBL Lego brick

I had it connected to the vstabi software yesterday. I even got the driver on windows 10 working which was a pain to do. I got to step 2 in the setup and that is where I was stuck. With the new insights of today I think I can give it another go.

As far as I can tell now I have some channels reversed though. When I only connect the receiver (no gyro connected) and I push the throttle stick up my swashplate tilts sideways where I expect it to go up. I was thinking of correcting this in the radio. Are you suggesting this can also be corrected through the software setup of the kbar?

Ok, I'm allready lost in the receiver step. As far as I can tell I have to use the configuration for the standard RX hookup. I can figure most of it out by myself, except for the gyro/bankswitch connection. I have no idea where to plug that in in my receiver.
I have the following options:

- channel 5 (I highly doubt that, as far as I can tell it is linked to a turn button on my radio)
- B/VCC (as far as I know it is being used for the bind plug and power connection)
- I-Bus SENS (I believe used for sensors)
- I-Bus SERVO

My best bet would be the I-Bus SERVO connection. Am I correct there or should I just ignore this connection?

Well I think I have figured it out by myself again. After doing some research I learned that this connection can probably be used for 2 things.
Either control the gyro gain from the transmitter or connect it to a switch so you can do bankswitching which, as far as I understand now, is something like switching different flight modes by switching to different settings in the mini k-bar. I think it will work if I program a 2 or 3 way switch to channel 5 and than connect channel 5 of the receiver to the gyro/bankswitch connection of the k-bar.

When I have time to try it out I'll keep you informed of the results.

Sorry Vincent, I use 2 DSMX sats straight into the Kbar and was waiting for an answer from one of my crew to give you a reply, as one of them uses frsky receivers but I’m still waiting.

But to control gyro gain on your radio is normally done in the Kbar software. There is a drop down box for bank 0 which switches the control from the software to the gyro settings in your radio. I can watch the slider on the software move as I adjust in the radio but usually play with that after the Kbar set up is done and after test flight

holtneil

Great gyro just don't try and update , on the new software don't be on the net as It will try and update and brick the kbar

Top Bottom