500 Derek's Trex 500 swash plate NOT level after leaving LHS

Derek

So...I took my 500 to my LHS (mistake number 1) to get the local heli pro to help me setup up my 500 on my new Spektrum DX8. He said that he wasn't real busy at the time so he agreed to do so. There were a few other items that I wanted to get while I was there so I told him that I was going to go down a few isles and get some other stuff (mistake number 2). After some time, he tells me that it's all setup and ready. I was very happy so I paid for my other items and left the store...without even trying the new settings while I was there (mistake number 3). I get my 500 home and I turn on the DX8 and plug in the battery...I'm ready to fly. Ummmm...what's that right there??? MY SWASH PLATE IS NOT LEVEL!!! This can't be right, so I move the sticks up and down and the swash moves up and down but still VERY un-level. I am not a happy camper right now. I unplug the battery, turn off the DX8, and put the heli on the shelf.

What I should have done, to begin with, is gotten my own leveling tool (I have a pitch gauge) and just learn to do this setup stuff myself. I do all my own setups on my scratch build planes. It's time to learn to do the settings on my heli.

Here is a bit of video that I just took. I dunno if you'll be able to see that the swash is not level...I hope so.

Hobby Store is no help - YouTube

stokke

That sucks Derek. Your better off learning to set it up yourself anyways (you're gonna have to do it sooner or later).

Derek

That sucks Derek. Your better off learning to set it up yourself anyways (you're gonna have to do it sooner or later).

That's very true, Marius! I'll be getting a swash leveler this weekend and I'll be working on it myself. Such frustration!!!

- - - Updated - - -

come round to my place ... I will set it up for you ;)

Man, I'd love to take a trip to New Zealand and meet up with ya. Unfortunately, with a baby on the way, my bank account won't fund a trip like that, lol. :)

Karubah

It might pay to check the settings in your TX as well. Goodness knows what he has done...lol At least by doing it yourself you get to know your heli and TX. Cheers

Tony

Staff member
Derek, wipe that model out of your Tx and start fresh. Don't take any chances. I will sit on the phone, or if I'm home, skype, and help you set this thing up from start to finish.

Derek

I can do that. Thanks Tony. That will be a fun phone call....like always. Skype would be cool, too, so that I can have both hands free. I didn't think you had Skype.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. I'll call ya this weekend.

Tony

Staff member
I have a computer and I can download it. It would allow me to see what you are doing and help you along. First thing, follow my heli setup videos on the DX8 after you reset the model to factory. That will get you where you are ready to start changing things in the Tx. As always, I'm here if you need help bro.

Derek

I'm on my way home now. I'll start a new file when I get home and follow your suggested video.

Tony

Staff member
It's easy bro. Just take it slow. If I have to, you can text me and we will do a quick skype when i get home if you are really interested in getting it going before this weekend so it's ready and waiting.

Derek

now that I'm home, I'll probably just take a look at your video then get a shower and head for bed. I want my head to be rested when we do this so that I can absorb what you are telling me.

john2012

Banned
Derek when you were building your t-rex did you use a anything to measure the middle of the ball mounts with a center to center and make them what the instructions call for if not your swash will not be level john I just built my 450 trex v2 and I do have a leveling tool my thoughts are get a leveling tool and check the length of your rods for ali elev and pitch rods center to center them reinstall them hope this helps you man that sucks a hobby shop didn't help

Derek

Yep! I've had this heli for a bit over 1 year and I used a set of calipers to measure everything. I'm certainly not "made of money" so I really took my time on the build. I have had this heli in the air quite a few times when it was setup on my DX6i but I recently got the DX8 and I really wanted the help of "someone that knew what they were doing." The unfortunate thing is, since I took it to "someone that knew what they were doing", my heli is back on the shelf with a non-leveled swash.

I'll be getting my own leveling tool this weekend and Tony is gonna teach me how to do this. I do have an all metal flybarred head that I bought from a buddy of mine. Since I'm going to be taking the head off my 500 anyway, I think it's just time that I put on the metal head.

Lee

With all the help on here Derek, why did you take it to a Shop. We can get you up and running in no time.

Top Bottom