Derek's Sinister 770 Super Class Quad Flight Log

Derek

I've got some videos from our outing, the other day. The first several are a bit boring but I just thought someone here might be interested in seeing this. Hopefully we can make some adjustments and get some successful flight video posted soon.

First Hover Attempt - epic ending

Second Hover Attempt

Third Hover Attempt

....more to come...

Tony

Staff member
Those blades slow down so smoothly! lmao. Love large motors and props!

Are you trying to take off in angle or Acro mode? I would definitely, for this quad, take off in Angle mode just to get used to it. However, if this flipping is happening on Angle, you may try acro. It will act like Rate mode on a helicopter tail gyro. It will stay where you tell it to stay until you tell it otherwise.

And after reading some other comments from other members on here about the size of the arms, I had a frame flash into my head. It would be an extruded aluminum arm H pattern frame. I would think 1" square tubing would be more than enough for this little guy (lol). Then, cut out some plates of 3/16" aluminum for the main body and motor plates and braze them onto the arms. It would require a map torch with a needle tip, but it is very cheap compared to trying to TIG weld the frame. Just something that popped into my head.

Keep up the great work. Can't want to see some FPV from this little guy :chuckles:

Derek

Yes...without a doubt....these T-Motors are super smooth. I'm glad I opted to spend the cash for quality motors.

I have a set of 10 videos that I will be sharing over the weekend. You'll see that we are trying to lift off in Acro and Angle Modes. Angle Mode is giving us some grief but Acro Mode seems to be getting better.

As for the size of the arms....we are in the process of some mod's right now. I really don't want an "H" style frame. "H" style frames are just too symmetrical for me.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment, Tony! I know that you are busy with your home life and work. Take care.....I will post more as I get them edited.

Tony

Staff member
No worries. I too don't like the H pattern quads, I would rather have angled arms. And you could still do it with bolts. Just something that popped into my head and I thought I would share.

And if Angle is giving you fits, it may be that the board is not seeing level. I'm not sure since I have not looked at the setup, just tossing it out there. Acro will just stay right where it is until you hit the cyclic like in a helicopter. But of course you know that lol.

Derek

The flight controller "should be" seeing level because I calibrated the accelerometer on a level surface with a bubble level. I'm sure that the accelerometer will need some trim....all of my quads have needed that. It's a slow process, lol.

Here are the 4th and 5th hover attempts

Tony

Staff member
Those last videos you had it in the a little longer which showed what it was doing. I know at the end of that one video you said the rates are too high, but it really looks like it is hunting. Just for S&G's, what are your PID settings?

Derek

I would have to check the PIDs. I don't remember them. We were making progressive and small adjustments to the PIDs. Gradually getting better....well, Acro Mode was getting better, lol.

Here is the 6th hover attempt after making some changes

Tony

Staff member
That last one looked much better. By chance do you have any dual rate or expo dialed in?

Derek

No DR nor expo. I have 4 more videos to share with slightly more positive results.

Ive been in touch with a Super Class guru and he's given me a list of things to adjust and try, including lowering the Rates in Cleanflight and adding some expo in the tx.

Admiral

Hi Derek, that quad has large props creating heaps of ground effect I think it is at the stage that if you lifted it up about 3 feet that so that it is out of ground affect the gyro would be able to stabilize and you would get a reasonable hover.

Just my 2 cents worth, good luck.

Derek

ok...I think I need to ask for your guys patience a little bit. Most forums, this one included, enjoy seeing pics and videos. I've mentioned, above, that I have a total of 10 videos to share. I also mentioned that each video shows gradual improvements. Neither my tuning guy, nor myself, are experts at tuning....so we are making small adjustments and we are only adjusting one thing at a time. Small adjustments, to one thing at a time, will only give small improvements but they are noticeable improvements. We have a 12lbs model that is spinning four 15" props.....I want to progress as fast as we feel SAFE to do so.

Derek

9th hover attempt....I'm just gonna forget Angle Mode for now and just focus on Acro Mode

Derek

Here is the 10th, and last, video that I have for now. This bit of video definitely showed that the 770 machine has gone from something that was uncontrollable to a machine that is more controllable and predictable. More to come from the Sinister 770 Super Class Quad

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Looking really good Derek. I bet you have a big smile on your face after that hover :)

Derek

I think youre confused about my post. I appreciate any and all help but i had mentioned that i had 10 videos to share and each video showed improvements.

During the early videos, i felt it was impossible to get the quad out of the ground effect even though i know being out of the ground effect would be beneficial.

However, now that the 770 is more controllable and predictable, i will try to be out of the ground effect more....just as you suggested.

Top Bottom