Projects Derek's new scratch build, The Blue Cub STOL

Derek

I've been working on this plane, off and on, for the past few months. I would get some progress done on this plane and then I'd change my mind and make some changes over and over and over again. I didn't like how something looked, so I'd rip it off and make changes. I didn't like how something moved, so I'd rip it off and make changes. This was a vicious cycle. Finally, I got to a point where the changes were getting fewer and fewer, so I knew I was on the right track for an "end result".

Here is a video that shows my new plane. As always, I am open to friendly constructive criticism. Before you watch the video, I would like to mention that I will be changing the wing mounting bolts from steel to nylon.

I'm sorry the video is so long. it's a bit over 20 minutes. I kept rambling on.

Blue Cub STOL unveiling - YouTube

Last edited:

EyeStation

Derek! Well Done!
Looks sleek and quite airworthy. Is that top wing the same design as the RCH trainer? I do like the rounded ends, but admire the smooth top surface.
How did you keep this under wraps for so long?

Lee

Very nice Derek. You better mount a camera on that bird. We want onboard footage :D

Badluck

looks good and well made,hope it flys well for you keep us updated when you get it off the ground, GOOD JOB......

Derek

Derek! Well Done!
Looks sleek and quite airworthy. Is that top wing the same design as the RCH trainer? I do like the rounded ends, but admire the smooth top surface.
How did you keep this under wraps for so long?

Thanks buddy! I'm really happy with how this plane turned out. There are still two things that I want to do to this plane to get it to match the image in my head. Details to come. The main wing is not like the RCH Trainer. The RCH Trainer has a kf2 airfoil. The kf2 airfoil has the foamboard layered on top of each other to make steps on top of the wing. Those steps allow air pockets to build up behind each step, therefore resulting in more lift. The main wing on my Blue Cub STOL is an Armin wing style, made by Experimental Airlines (on youtube). The guys name is Ed and I've been a big fan of his build techniques for over a year. Simple, cheap, easy to make, but very effective. There is certainly no reason why the kf airfoil wouldn't work on this plane. I just simply wanted this type of airfoil for this plane. Your other question was how did I keep this under wraps for so long. Well, I did share a bit of the details with Tony, a few weeks ago, but the plane was no where as complete then as it is now.

Very nice Derek. You better mount a camera on that bird. We want onboard footage :D

Thank you, Lee! I really like how this plane turned out. I changed my mind about different details nearly 30 times. I'm not kidding. I think there will be plenty of room on this plane for a camera. I want to invest in a better camera that the key chain camera that I have. The key chain camera that I have works but I know there are better "small" cameras available. I can't afford a GoPro right now but I will shop around.

looks good and well made,hope it flys well for you keep us updated when you get it off the ground, GOOD JOB......

Thanks a lot, Badluck! I hope it flies well, too, lol.

Derek

This is pretty cool! I've had several people watch my video on this plane and several people are interested in building this plane. Unfortunately, I don't have and PDF plans for this plane. This plane was built from an image that I had in my head. I have flown several different planes over the last two years and I wanted a plane that had some of the qualities of all the previous planes. That's how this plane came to be. Since I have had so many people ask for plans, I'm going to do another video that shows some measurements. I just can't believe that someone(s) is interested in my plane, lol.

Tony

Staff member
Depending on what EA says, I can create the pdf plans for this plane. But, that is not my wing and I will not make it without his permission.

Derek

Thank you for the offer, Tony, but since EA doesn't make any plans for his planes but has easy to follow build videos for each part of the planes, I think I'll just put a link to EA when I start talking about the wing in my video. I'll surely link RCH to my video, as well. That goes without saying, lol.

Derek

I have a curiosity. I was just looking over some specs of a J3 Cub, on the Hobby King website, that is very similar to my Blue Cub STOL. The wingspan is identical. The fuselage of my Cub is a bit shorter than the one from Hobby King, but not by much. I noticed that the Hobby King Cub runs on a 4S 2200mAh 30-40C lipo with a 12x9 prop. I'm hoping to run my Cub on two 3S 2200mAh 30C lipo's in parallel. My plane, with the two lipos, weighs very closely to the Hobby King Cub. Although, I have a 13x7 prop on my Cub right now, as suggested by the motors supplier. I'm a bit concerned about the prop hitting the ground on take off. I can lift the tail of my Cub so that the top of the fuselage is level and the prop does spin with about an inch of clearance from the ground. Should I just go ahead and use the 13x7 prop or would there be a 12" prop that may be suitable?

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, you will be fine with a 3s, just lacking on power a bit and pulling slightly more amps. If you have one, you could stick a 12x6 on there and it should work and save you another .5". If you don't think 6" is going to be enough on teh pitch, you can go to a 12x8 and give that a try. Just keep an eye on the temp of the motor.

Derek

I can do that. Thanks Tony! Maybe I should invest in a set of 4S lipos in the meantime.

Tony

Staff member
You will love the power if you do :biggrin1:

I have 2 of them, but have not flown them in probably a year.

Derek

I've been meaning to get at least two 4S lipos because I'd like to run them on my 49" wing but I've been dragging my feet on getting the batteries ever since I got my Trex 600. Priorities are so screwed up, lol. :damnit:

Gerald

OK, Holy old threads Batman! But I was wondering how this project is going? It is really a well detailed plane. Any flights yet?

Derek

I appreciate your curiosity. The Cub is complete. ÀR8000 RX installed. Control surfaces all move appropriately. Orangerx 3axis stabilizer working correctly. Bolt on wing completed.

Weather permitting, maiden flight this weekend.

Top Bottom