Projects Derek's "FPV Recon" plane

Derek

When I'm not working on my other 1000+ projects, I've been working on this plane. It's a scratch build that is modeled after the Hobby King "EPP FPV" and "Skywalker FPV".

FBRecon1.jpgFBRecon2.jpg

I want to start considering landing gear. I think I have it figured out though.

FBRecon1.jpg

FBRecon2.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If you are making this a tail dragger, then you need to put the landing gear about 1-2" in front of the CoG. If you are going to make this a trike, then you need to place it a couple inches behind the CoG.

Derek

ok, cool! After reading your post and thinking about it a bit, that makes sense. Yes, this will be another tail dragger. I am so jacked up to try to get this bird in the air. I have 8-9 planes built and just waiting on electronix. 2013 is gonna be an expensive year for me, lol.

Anyway...Thanks for your post, Tony! I'll work on it.

Lee

Very nice plane Derek. I have a tonne of foam here, and that is one of my ideas for my next FPV project.
I would go for the tail dragger style, with just an axle though the fuse and two chunky wheels, or even a glider style central wheel with skid plate on the wing tips.

Derek

Re: Derek's "FPV Recon" plane

Should go quite well. can't wait to see it in the air.

Thanks, Tony! I'm stoked to see this one in the air, too. I appreciate the "two cents", as always!!

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice plane Derek. I have a tonne of foam here, and that is one of my ideas for my next FPV project.
I would go for the tail dragger style, with just an axle though the fuse and two chunky wheels, or even a glider style central wheel with skid plate on the wing tips.

Thanks Lee! I hope it flies as well as it looks. Well, I think it looks great, lol. Yes, this will be a tail dragger.

callsign4223

Staff member
Kinda looks like a miniature version of the albatross your working on. I think it's the box at front that reminds me of it so much. Just put the wing and elevator level with the fuselage and it would be a true mini albatross.

Tasajara

Very nice build you have going there... One thing I noticed when I added LG to my SkyWalker (RIP) was I had them too short at first.
It took to long to get into the air I added a couple of inches to give a better angle to get more air under the wing. Big difference, rolling take off was cut in half.

Can't wait to see this thing cursing the Skys..

Derek

WOW! The last post for this thread was nearly 1.5 years ago, lol. I've decided to come back to this project. I still have the wing and the fuselage, so I might as well do something with it. I am going to remove the tail section and remake it. I just don't like how this one turned out. I've learned quite a bit since building this plane and I want to do the with different materials. I just think it will be better.

I've also decided that I'm going to run this plane on 6S instead of 3S. I ordered a 6S compatible motor. I have a 100amp esc. I'll need to hunt down some servos and a bit of materials for the landing gear. I might just leave the landing gear off for the first few flights and belly land it.

Anyway...I'm hoping to get this one done before the New Year.

Derek

I still have to get a 6 channel rx with satellite and 6 servo's for this plane but I have the powerful 6S motor, 100amp esc, and 6S batteries. I'll need to fashion up some landing gear.

As far as a list of my aircraft....I'll post a video, below. I made this video for a friend of mine because he was wondering what types of planes I had. There are 3 other planes that I have that aren't in this video. I don't remember if I mentioned, in the video, that I have the Trex 450 Pro DFC, Trex 500e, and Trex 600 Pro DFC but I also have an HK 450 DFC (waiting on upgrade parts) and I have a Trex 500 DFC Pro (still in the box, waiting on gyro).

Here's the video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

I just need to get a 6 channel Spektrum rx and 6 servos. I'll make some landing gear and wing struts, then this beast will be ready to go. I have the 6S motor and a variety of 13" to 15" props that I'll be testing for performance. I'm hoping to get it done this year. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Derek

hmmmm, "chop chop" doesn't work well with me, lol. I think I have 7 projects going at the same time right now, lol. This plane is on the list at #5, lol.

All in due time. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom