Kits Derek's FPV HK Skyfun

Derek

This is a project plane that I've wanted to do for quite some time. I finally got around to buying an HK Skyfun PNF. I put my ImmersionRC 5.8ghz 600mw vtx on board with a RHCP Spironet antenna. I probably should have just bought the Skyfun Kit because I replaced the stock (cheesy) nylon gear servos with good metal gear servos. Because I have the FPV cam on the nose, I needed extra weight on the back, so I replaced the stock 2500kv motor with a Turnigy 2826-6 2200kv motor and I replaced the stock 25amp esc with a Turnigy Plush 40amp esc. I still need to get a place to mount the Mobius camera but we'll talk about that later.

Here is the finished plane:

Skyfun Completed.jpg

I added some serious carbon fiber spars and I covered the plane with colored packing tape. I removed the cheap canopy latches and I added two T-Nuts underneath, at the front and rear of the canopy, and now I use 1/4-20 nylon bolts to hold down the canopy. I am not gonna have the canopy come off during flight.

I did maiden the Skyfun today (FPV gear not powered up). I had a serious case of 'nerves' during the trimming but the plane did smooth out and flew well. I landed, regained my composure and then loaded up another battery for another flight. Full throttle passes are pretty cool with the Skyfun!

I do have a question, though. I was hoping to get some 6x4 APC props for this plane but my local hobby shop was out of them. They did have some 6.3x4 APC Combat props. These props look to be thicker with a slightly different profile than I remember a 6x4 prop has. During the two flights that I had today, the 6.3x4 Combat prop didn't quite have the same sound that I had anticipated. I dunno, I just anticipated a bit more of a sharper, high pitched, sound as the plane flew by.

Would anyone know if there is really that much of a difference between the 6x4 APC prop and the 6.3x4 APC Combat prop? I did speak to the guys at my LHS and they are going to order a handful of 6x4 APC props for me. I'll pick them up and give the Skyfun another go. Maybe I'll get the sound that I anticipated....maybe not, lol.

Skyfun Completed.jpg

Derek

Here is a bit of video from yesterdays flight testing of my HK Skyfun with FPV. This is only a LOS flight because I am planning on having a few more LOS test flights while I'm trying to make adjustments to get it as smooth as I can before I actually start flying this FPV.

In the video, you can see a curious hawk pays me a visit and there is a slight flip over on the landing because I flared just a bit too much, lol. No damage done!

LOS Flight Test #2 for the FPV Skyfun - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
Tell Jordan she need to lay off the caffeine lmao. Great video by her as always and great flight. Those landings happen. More so with 3d planes and especially war birds.

Now we need some onboard video. :biggrin1:

Derek

Unfortunately, Jordan stayed home with the munchkin. Munchkin desperately needed a nap, lol. My Dad was on the camera this time. He's now flying with me.

Yeah...that landing wasn't the smoothest that I had hoped for, lol, but the plane glided very well and there was no damage done.

I'm going to do a few more LOS flights in an effort to smooth the flight out as much as possible before I get under the goggles. I may add a 3 axis stabilizer to help out on those windy days, lol. Cheating or not, I love the stabilizers, lol. I also need to work out a way to mount the Mobius to the plane.

Nonetheless, I had two flights with the Skyfun yesterday and it was great!

Tony

Staff member
That is fantastic that you have your dad flying with you now. And yea, those little ones are a full time job by themselves lol. Been there, twice.

Derek

Yeah, Dad learned to fly with my Hobbyzone Delta Ray. Now he has his own. Hes doing real well!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm loving the plane. Good job on the build and flight. Glad to see that Dad is their with you enjoying this hobby.

Derek

Thanks! The winds were pretty calm really...gusting to 12mph or so. Easy flying weather. More to come from this plane!

Admiral

The camera came through unscathed that would have been my concern, amazing how Murphy's law stepped in and put a lake under you.

Glad to hear that everything is undamaged.

trainrider06

Shoot I didn't see anything wrong, the plane flew, then landed in the water and then docked itself over on the bank...
:)
Glad it turned out good on the parts end of things!

Derek

I did find that one of the two motor mount screws was missing and the remaining motor mount screw was loose. I can see locktite on the remaining screw but I was certain that I locktited both screws. I'm just thankful, and lucky, that the entire model and system survived.

Derek

That's what counts! Survived!

Yep!

After further inspection, I have found that one of the motor screw holes has stripped so badly that I can slide a screw in and out of the hole with no troubles. The motor needs replaced. I'll order a new one, but in the meantime, I have removed the Turnigy 2826-06 2200kv motor and I installed a 2215 1700kv motor that I bought from Hobbyparts.com. Tony recommended this motor to me a long time ago but it's been a great motor for me. I added the 1700kv motor and an 8x4 APC prop. I hooked up my wattmeter and tested the new motor. At full throttle, the watt meter showed 308 watts and a max of 27 amps. With the FPV gear, Mobius, and 3S 2200mah lipo, the Skyfun now weighs 2.0 lbs. I'll test this setup next week because I have to work all this weekend.

Tony

Staff member
I should have gotten me one of those 1700's. 300 watts out of a 1700kv motor is going to be insane lol. But I guess your old motor had more rpm than that one. Maybe now you will have some more torque.

Derek

Yeah, I had a Turnigy 2826-06 2200kv with a 6x4 APC prop. Now lve got that 1700kv motor and I got 308 Watts with an 8x4 APC. Im gonna test a few other props, too.

Top Bottom